When Are Property Taxes Paid?

Two questions for the knowledgeable members.

My wife who is Thai citizen (I am not a Thai citizen) purchased a house before we met by way of bank mortgage. She recently made the final payment and the Bank gave the documents to have the Land department transfer the ownership on the Land title documents to her (chanote ti din). She did this at the land dept today and also to amend her maiden name to my surname for record on the certificate as well. However, I was informed by someone that foreign men married to Thai women need to sign a some document if the wife becomes owner of the property. (Correct?) The office never mentioned anything like this upon updating the new details on the chanote and neither was there property tax bill for transfer of ownership. When exactly is this tax charged on property purchases?

Edited by Time Traveller

We are indeed supposed to sign that we have no financial interest in the land. Seems to depend upon the land office as our local office (Pathum Thani) were not interested in me in any way shape or form (Wifey does still have her Thai name mind, but they were fully aware of my existence).

Not sure about the taxes, we paid a significant sum when transferring TO the bank for a mortgage, it's possible that there is nothing to pay when transferring back at the end of the term. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

My wife paid off her 7-year mortgage last month. The bank provided some paperwork stating that the mortgage had been paid in full (I guess), together with the title deeds for the land. My wife took the documentation to the Land Office to have the annotation (on the deed) that the deed had been mortgage cancelled out. Total cost of the service was 70 Baht. As I understand it, taxes are paid when the land is first registered in the name of the buyer, i.e. the date when the land is purchased. Often the seller and the buyer share the tax on a 50-50 basis though this needs to be established at the time you are negotiating the purchase.

I remember that I had to sign a declaration that I had no financial interest in the purchase of the land at the time of purchase 7 years ago. There was no requirement for me to sign anything else this time around.

Edited by Nomad97