Backpackers Are Great Asset For Chiang Mai

uptheos

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all good and true, but many backpackers are annoying to no end and have no real agenda other than to go to the places everyone else goes to -- where's the adventure in that?

many of them are merely looking for the next "high", whether it's cheap booze or drugs or some adrenaline rush. they have no mental aspirations beyond what their guidebooks tell them. 3rd class travel zombies.

however, youre very right in that they are more likely to support the true local economy. so perhaps putting up with them is worth it if it keeps the "real chiang mai" around just a little longer.

Edited by samsara
  • Like 1

IMO, most backpackers are fine and many have a lot going for them, but a small number are out to get something for nothing and will cheat and steal while traveling to do it. Unfortunately, the bad apples are the ones that stick out in many people's minds and the rest get a bad reputation.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

IMO, most backpackers are fine and many have a lot going for them, but a small number are out to get something for nothing and will cheat and steal while traveling to do it. Unfortunately, the bad apples are the ones that stick out in many people's minds and the rest get a bad reputation.

Many farang's (more than backpackers) lie, cheat and steal in Chiang Mai. wink.png

• Like 1

all good and true, but many backpackers are annoying to no end and have no real agenda other than to go to the places everyone else goes to -- where's the adventure in that?

many of them are merely looking for the next "high", whether it's cheap booze or drugs or some adrenaline rush. they have no mental aspirations beyond what their guidebooks tell them. 3rd class travel zombies.

however, youre very right in that they are more likely to support the true local economy. so perhaps putting up with them is worth it if it keeps the "real chiang mai" around just a little longer.

I can't recall ever being annoyed by a backpacker.

An adventure is whatever it is to YOU.

I used to think Southend 0n Sea was an adventure........and it was during a certain time!

They just annoy me.

The women wandering around with no bra and a copy of 'lost planet' in their hands.

The shirtless guys just wearing swimming shorts.

The whole lot of them hiring m/cs while clearly never even sat on one before, let alone having a license.

(Although to be fair, the Chinese tourist are now doing the m/c madness thing but at least wearing t-shirts)

OK, so they spend money, but they sure bring down the tone of the place.

They just annoy me.

The women wandering around with no bra and a copy of 'lost planet' in their hands.

The whole lot of them hiring m/cs while clearly never even sat on one before, let alone having a license.

(Although to be fair, the Chinese tourist are now doing the m/c madness thing but at least wearing t-shirts)

amen!

no idea how uptheos has NEVER been annoyed by them. theyre just a bunch of clueless sheep led by guidebooks and travel sites looking for the next beer. no value in that whatsoever.

• Like 1

I think backpackers are great, particularly for little hick towns like Chiang Mai,

Trip Advisor recently voted CM as the #24 (out of 25)of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and #4 in Asia!

Not really a busy place,but far from a hick-town, but the people who go there must be impressed enough to vote for it.

I am sure many who voted are most likely the "flippy-d-flops" (backpackers) who find CM cheap and easy to budget.

After all who made the real "hick" town of Pai so popular?

uptheos

Great post. All so true. A back packer may stay one week and only put 3,000 baht into the local economy. But that is where it stays.

The five star resort traveler may put in 100,000 baht but that is not going into the local economy most of it is going to another fat cat who lives some where else. And even if they live rite here in town most of it is just going into their pocket.

A back packer who puts 3,000 baht a week into the economy will be spending it where it can help the most people in the local culture.

A traveler putting in 100,000 baht a week will be putting into places that are far different than the local culture.

And yes there are some back packers who are only trouble makers. But you put the fat cat in the same situation and location an see how much he puts into the economy. And it won't be long before he starts in with the complaining and trouble making.

They just annoy me.

amen!

no idea how uptheos has NEVER been annoyed by them. theyre just a bunch of clueless sheep led by guidebooks and travel sites looking for the next beer. no value in that whatsoever.

Never been a backpacker eh?

My granddaughter just spent 30K sterling, backpacking places I never knew existed.

University grad, non drinker/smoker, doesn't do drugs.......what's not to like?

never had a desire to become a sheep.

prefer to actually live somewhere and experience it, rather than running about looking for my next destination in a guidebook every 6 hours.

They just annoy me.

amen!

Don't underestimate the value of a beer. tongue.png

uptheos

Great post. All so true. A back packer may stay one week and only put 3,000 baht into the local economy. But that is where it stays.

The five star resort traveler may put in 100,000 baht but that is not going into the local economy most of it is going to another fat cat who lives some where else. And even if they live rite here in town most of it is just going into their pocket.

A back packer who puts 3,000 baht a week into the economy will be spending it where it can help the most people in the local culture.

A traveler putting in 100,000 baht a week will be putting into places that are far different than the local culture.

And using your reasoning process, sex tourists are the greatest thing to ever happen to Chiang Mai.

Nearly all their money goes straight to the local community where it can help the most people, and usually a bit more than 3k per trip.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

They just annoy me.

amen!

My granddaughter just spent 30K sterling, backpacking places I never knew existed.

never had a desire to become a sheep.

prefer to actually live somewhere and experience it, rather than running about looking for my next destination in a guidebook every 6 hours.

What the **** has sheep got to do with anything?

Just because you missed out don't be angry at those that can.

Go on now tell me all the amazing exotic places you've lived and experienced......I'm sure you're compiling them.

uptheos

And by that same reasoning process sex tourists are the greatest thing to ever happen to Chiang Mai.

Nearly all their money goes straight to the local community where it can help the most people, and usually a bit more than 3k per trip.

If you want to change the subject feel free to do so.

Sounds perfect, a phone number would be good ;)

On a serious note, I am a young bloke. I make enough money to stay in mid range places when I go on holidays, but how boring is that. I much prefer to do the typical backpacker jaunt and stay in a guest house/backpackers, meet new people and explore.... And no I dont own a guidebook!

Although I will claim the title of a backpacker, I can see how the behaviour of some backpackers is really quite annoying, dangerous and downright disrespectful.

• Like 2

What the <deleted> has sheep got to do with anything?

Go on now tell me all the amazing exotic places you've lived and experienced......I'm sure you're compiling them.

come on, man. backpackers are clueless. most cant even tell you where they are on a map unless they consult with their "shepherd", i.e. the guy who carries lonely planet.

you been to vang vieng lately? ruined. pai? ruined. samet? ruined. development aimed at backpackers, promoting their business, ruins places; it doesnt preserve them. the local economy that NEEDS preservation only exists because of the backpackers of yesteryear. take them out of the equation and those same businesses transform into something more sustainable.

and, btw, im barely 30. thumbsup.gif

This is what David from Dukes said in another thread.

"The backpacker trade is a good one. They spend a lot for food and drink"

If anyone would know, it's him

I'm quite surprised that any backpackers would want to eat at such an overpriced place(s) firmly aimed at aging westerners.

• Like 1

Although I will claim the title of a backpacker, I can see how the behaviour of some backpackers is really quite annoying, dangerous and downright disrespectful.

You're just after the money lol.

Just hang around the so called 'decent' Chiang Mai expats for a while if you want to see annoying, dangerous and downright disrespectful.

• Like 2

What the <deleted> has sheep got to do with anything?

come on, man. backpackers are clueless. most cant even tell you where they are on a map unless they consult with their "shepherd", i.e. the guy who carries lonely planet.

you been to vang vieng lately? ruined. pai? ruined. samet? ruined. development aimed at backpackers, promoting their business, ruins places; it doesnt preserve them. the local economy that NEEDS preservation only exists because of the backpackers of yesteryear. take them out of the equation and those same businesses transform into something more sustainable.

and, btw, im barely 30. thumbsup.gif

You sound as if you have a lot of experience in all the above, better you break away from them.

Maybe best to define what you mean by backpacker first.

Sheep with guidebook moving every 6 hours?

Girl spending 30K GBP but had a backpack with her?

Freeloader taking advantage of free food/drink specials

Young bloke who can afford mid-range when on vacation but chooses to stay in guesthouses to meet new people.

Shirtless foreigners driving m/c's (guess they had backpacker tan)

Seems like a very wide range of people. Who are we talking about?

I'm quite surprised that any backpackers would want to eat at such an overpriced place(s) firmly aimed at aging westerners.

Can't afford it eh?wink.png

All the ones I have seen in Thailand are dirty, smelly and look like they are high on something or just coming off it. They also like to talk about how little they have spent everyday.

Where's your Thailand......one square mile of Thapae Gate?

• Like 1

They just annoy me.

Wasn't that the sequel to Jurassic Park? do they really read that, with no bra on?

dukes is way overpriced for what you get. its a step above sizzler.

dukes is way overpriced for what you get. its a step above sizzler.

I'm not batting for anyone's prices or business, but I'm saying that David at least had the balls to admit that there is a good trade in backpackers.