Human Verifier

T_Dog

I've run into anti-spam human verifiers a few times and most work fairly well. A new one I have seen twice now and have never been able to convince it I was real as the second word is so hard to read. I don't know if it is how my brain works or if this really is that hard to read, but I am stumped! Do you find these easy to use?

post-498-0-27285000-1343198420_thumb.png

This is no new one. It is around for quite some time. These capchas are not deliberately hard to read. There are generated by the Google Book Project. Word combinations which can not be recognized by the ocr software are converted into graphics and given out as captchas. If a crucial amount of similar answers has been reached, the result is than transferred back to google books.

They are hard to read I agree, but if you look there is a speaker icon where it will be read out loud to you if you wish.

I tried that too and typed in about every third word. Not good enough. So back to the text and after about twenty tries I finally got in. These are way too tough as far as I am concerned. The stick letter versions I can handle, but these bite!bah.gif

This is no new one. It is around for quite some time. These capchas are not deliberately hard to read. There are generated by the Google Book Project. Word combinations which can not be recognized by the ocr software are converted into graphics and given out as captchas. If a crucial amount of similar answers has been reached, the result is than transferred back to google books.

Exactly. Quite often on of the words is already verified by other users. The another one is 'new to the system'.. and once enough people write is the same way it will become verified word.

Also for this reason often only one of the words has to be correct. The other one can be wrong (or slightly wrong).

Great idea to combine digitizing old text/books an fighting spam!

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore

Exactly. Quite often on of the words is already verified by other users. The another one is 'new to the system'.. and once enough people write is the same way it will become verified word.

Also for this reason often only one of the words has to be correct. The other one can be wrong (or slightly wrong).

Great idea to combine digitizing old text/books an fighting spam!

http://www.google.co...ptcha/learnmore

Wow i've used RE-Captcha on dozens of sites but never realized that it was actually helping to digitalize books, what a great idea; putting the internet to work.

They have some interesting properties. The audio versions seem to work phonetically. By merging right answers, some words that grade as pass don't even have to have vowels!

There were 3 guys from the US who broke reCaptcha with 99% accuracy. Google it, well worth watching their presentation.

Google has patched now but the fight goes on.

Why do I get this feeling that this thread has turned into an episode of "The Big Bang Theory"? It just don't work well for me techno-dudes.

This is why you usually don't see them, t_dog - you only have to mess around with them, if you failed to put the proper password in multiple times and so on. Easily readable capchas are easy to hack.

So if my program can read a captcha your email account can be compromised within 15 minutes on average . Here is some stuff about how easy bad capchas are conquered.

Edited by JakeBKK