Koh Phangan - Rain In Sept?

Hi all,

I plan to visit Phangan the first 2 weeks of September but I read on all those travel websites that rainy season there is from Sept-Nov. So people who live there, can you please advise if it rains there quite often in Sept? It's not fun on an island if it rains heavy and often. Should I still go or should I leave it for next year in dry season? Thank you very much.

September and even October should be OK, the rainy season usually starts in November on the islands and can go through into December and a little bit into January, when you might get a heavy shower or two generally in the mornings from my experience...

You should be fine! thumbsup.gif

thank you very much wub.png

Samuijimmy is correct, however, impossible to predict, especially after heavy flooding in March/April last year which was unprecedentet......just take the risk.

Obviously impossible to correctly predict.... tongue.png

but right now I have about 5 sets of Thai neighbours, who are out of water in their wells, .... they are hoping to see rain very soon! .... so is my garden!!! wink.png

In my experience September is generally quite lovely. Rainy season on the islands normally begins at the end of October, beginning of November and goes into December. September does not rain 24/7.

tropic weather islikespinning a wheel. but october and novemeber and december push theodds ofhittingheavy rain.

some years we get less than others but we can never tell til it hits

Septemeber should be ok but don't quote me on that., we coukld have a 2 week storm tomorrow!

Just go for it. sometimes you just have to hit and hope. septemeber is not offically the start of the rain season though

tropic weather islikespinning a wheel. but october and novemeber and december push theodds ofhittingheavy rain.

some years we get less than others but we can never tell til it hits

Septemeber should be ok but don't quote me on that., we coukld have a 2 week storm tomorrow!

Just go for it. sometimes you just have to hit and hope. septemeber is not offically the start of the rain season though

Actually Big C - you may be right about a 2 week storm coming. According to Windguru - big winds and a fair bit of wet from Tuesday.

http://www.windguru....ex.php?sc=30397

I suppose I should have looked at this thread before I booked my flights to Samui for November a couple of hours ago.

I now know why Bangkok Airways had special prices for November.

So where is the best beach for this time of year?

I suppose I should have looked at this thread before I booked my flights to Samui for November a couple of hours ago.

My personal choice would be Choengmon Beach. And it will be sheltered from any westerly storms.

Do not worry too much - the last couple of years the rainfall/storms have been comparatively light. smile.png

My personal choice would be Choengmon Beach. And it will be sheltered from any westerly storms.

Do not worry too much - the last couple of years the rainfall/storms have been comparatively light. smile.png

They have which could well mean this rain season will be dreadful.

I would strongly advise oldgit to book another month and not take the chance. I'd take a chance on october if thats a possibility.

Westerly storms in November? Usually and i do say usually, by end of October the monsoon winds will have moved and be coming from the north east (ish) which is why Samui gets its rainfall (hopefully)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

I would strongly advise oldgit to book another month and not take the chance. I'd take a chance on october if thats a possibility.

Already booked I'm afraid, I'll just bring my wellies.

Such is life.

.......and bring your brolly .... and bowler hat, that might protect you from falling coconuts! biggrin.pngtongue.png

Actually weather last November was not too bad... wink.png

• Like 1