The 10K Incentive Scheme!

Well were to begin. In April I was asked by my school that I volunteer at if I would fill in the form for the 10k incentive. Of course I said sure, why not. So filled in all the details with my educational information and the such and signed it. About 3 days before the dead-line another school through the school I was volunteering at asked if I could help them out with teaching and fill in another form. As a volunteer the cash was a nice incentive.....so I said sure as long as it did not bugger up my visa and work permit. They said that they had already talked my director and the education department and all was above board.

Now it is almost 2 months past since this was supposed to have started but no money was showed. All the directors from schools were invited for a meeting with the education department about 2 weeks ago. It now seems that for a voluntary candidate to recieve said money they must complete 50 hours a month or 12.5 hours a week. I feel that this is quite steep as most fully paid 30K teachers usually teach between 68 - 88 hours per month.

The 1st school I work at said not to worry as they will sort things out with the schedule * wink - wink*, I am currently teaching 9 hours a week here so 36 per month so not too far off the 50 target.

This week I began working at the second school and they wanted me to do 8 hours a week there also, yikes!! And they set it in the afternoons the same day I teach mornings at my first school. So we are looking at almost 2 days of six hours and one of five hours. The reason they did this is because they knew I get a ride to my first school which is about 20km from my home and borrow someones car to go to theirs in the afternoon. So nice of them. Anyway I told them that I could not do it as I will be overloaded.

So we agreed to set the hours to 5 per week and I will come in until the 200 hours 4 months x 50 hours was completed. Now they have had a meeting and now want to pay me only per hour til spetember, hire a 50 percent black/thai native girl with no teaching experience just so that their budget will balance come audit time. I was livid so just got up and walked out of the meeting room. I had finished my classes before attending the meeting. The reason I am livid is because they recieved this money because I filled in the form with all my details and now they are planning to give some to me, some to this girl and I am sure pocket the rest!!!

I have thought about going to the education department to tell them I am not attending the second school anymore so retract the money incentive........maybe not the best idea but I am still fuming at this slap in the face. Cheeky barstards!!!

They have basically said they will pay me 200 baht per hour per class. They took 10,000 devided it by 50 and thats the number they came to. I would not mind if I had not already agreed to work there for the amount of 10k per month. Then the 50 hours per month came about. Basically I told them in the meeting I could not do the 8 hours they wanted per week which is still under the 50 per month number. I said I would work past the 4 months that the money from the government will give but they want to cut corners and scam their own. The students are good, I have fun this week but again it is never about the students for admin it is only about who can put money in their own pocket and rob the system.

I was approached by my village school 3 months or so ago for the 10k thing but they only wanted to pay 5k. I said no and they immediately upped it to 10k but said i would have to be the main teacher for English. I said forget it not enough. They have phoned again yesterday actually and offered 200B per hour which seems to be the going rate if not a full time teacher. This time it is to be an assistant to a teacher teaching English and just give the assistance needed from the speaking angle as the Thai teacher can't speak English. Waiting for them to come back with further details.

One of my mates 10 kilos down the road signed up and they have got him teaching 5-6 classes per day. I don't think this was ever the intention of the scheme. They have siad they want him there 8am-4.15pm.

Will follow this with interest. I am a qualified TEFL but will not be ripped off as slave labour like my mate. Would consider something as a beer token fund for holidays etc so if they paid 200B per hour as I have no travelling ok. What I will be interested to see is if they count working time as just in the classroom or include preparation time as well.

Another school 10 kilos down the road has also offered me 200B but they need more budget funds. They do genuinely want me though, have spoken to their no.2.

Seems to be this 10k thing is ok in the towns and applied more or less as it should be in many cases but when you get in the villages where the teaching resouces are thin on the ground that is where they expect you to do to much.

It's the government that set that pathetic 200 Baht an hour rate. All that needs doing is getting the school to understand that no one will work for 200 per hour. A false timetable needs to be made by the school giving you 50 hours per month. No one cares that it's totally fabricated as I'm doing teaching at six schools and they all use the same timetable template to send to the education department.

One school director thought the 200 per hour was great until it dawned on him that I wouldn't show up again until the previously agreed amount was paid.

A lot of little schools around my area are hoping to pay 200 and pocket as much of the remainder as they can. Get written conformation about how much they'll pay you before you begin and then you'll have them by the short and curlies if they try to under pay you.

Yes - I totally agree with Schondie and I certainly wouldn't even bother thinking of getting out of bed for 200B an hour, travelling or no travelling.

But saying that - good luck to the people who agree to work for such a small amount. They're certainly giving a lot (of themselves) for next to nothing - and I can definitely admire their good intentions. smile.png

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

best of luck to the OP, I hope he can work something out. I'm really interested to read of this scheme, I hadn't heard about it before and it seems to address the need for educational reform that people always harp on about. I don't wish for anyone to be ripped off, but in principle this scheme is sound; Thai teachers excel at discipline and class management and just need help with English - maybe retirees would be open to help/work under this scheme.

Well tomorrow I will go to do my normal 3 hours at my first voluntary position. I will have a chat with the director of this school, who is cool by the way. He has already promised me that I will get every baht, as I have been with them for over a year. He was asked by talk to go for a meeting by the director of the other school about me after my post here on Thai visa went global. I plan not to go to the other school tomorrow unless I recieve what I signed on the application letter, which is 10K a month. I did hear the reason the director of said second school found out about my post was through a Thai english teacher at the school. I find this hard to believe...........I think it might be more likely related to the female/husband I mentioned in my first blog! I will keep people informed of the outcome tomorrow. Cheers!!

biggrin.png

I agree 200B not enough but fortunately I also have an income as well from UK. I am thinking I will be able to build up my private teaching. but also here it's not what you know but who and it can be useful for getting to know the people who are good to know. I won't have to do lesson plans or anything just assist so I look at it as beer tokens for my trip to Chiang Mai.

Maybe the government will increase the rate when they see sense.

Yes if I don't enjoy I won't be getting out of bed for 200B either beer tokens or not.

It's the government that set that pathetic 200 Baht an hour rate. All that needs doing is getting the school to understand that no one will work for 200 per hour. A false timetable needs to be made by the school giving you 50 hours per month. No one cares that it's totally fabricated as I'm doing teaching at six schools and they all use the same timetable template to send to the education department.

One school director thought the 200 per hour was great until it dawned on him that I wouldn't show up again until the previously agreed amount was paid.

A lot of little schools around my area are hoping to pay 200 and pocket as much of the remainder as they can. Get written conformation about how much they'll pay you before you begin and then you'll have them by the short and curlies if they try to under pay you.

you are teaching at 6 schools on the present new scheme ? doubtful ! If so, how can you do it ? I applied for an additional school to my own and they said no. Only 1 school allowed.

you are teaching at 6 schools on the present new scheme ? doubtful ! If so, how can you do it ? I applied for an additional school to my own and they said no. Only 1 school allowed.

Yes I was told this and two of my friends, one of which was specifically trying to get more than one school under the 10k scheme.

Seems to be happen to everyone, they just want you to sign up first and then later say it's 200 b an hour and 15 hours or so a week ..... It's probably not intentional, just incompetence....

I don't think it's a big deal for them to fabricate a false timetable, but they might make it out to be to get you to do more hours, the entire 'education' system here is just a show anyway.

Last week I visited another school and will be doing 10 days there once a week, the first idea they had for me was for me to teach the entire schools 250 kids (ranging from primary 1 -> secondary 3) for the full 5 hours each day the assembly area. :) . I think it's a mix of the teachers wanting to sit around doing nothing and let the falang take care of the kids and them thinking they somehow get a better deal out of it. It's just amazing though.....

Seems to be happen to everyone, they just want you to sign up first and then later say it's 200 b an hour and 15 hours or so a week ..... It's probably not intentional, just incompetence....

I don't think it's a big deal for them to fabricate a false timetable, but they might make it out to be to get you to do more hours, the entire 'education' system here is just a show anyway.

Last week I visited another school and will be doing 10 days there once a week, the first idea they had for me was for me to teach the entire schools 250 kids (ranging from primary 1 -> secondary 3) for the full 5 hours each day the assembly area. smile.png . I think it's a mix of the teachers wanting to sit around doing nothing and let the falang take care of the kids and them thinking they somehow get a better deal out of it. It's just amazing though.....

Last week I visited another school and will be doing 10 days there once a week, the first idea they had for me was for me to teach the entire schools 250 kids (ranging from primary 1 -> secondary 3) for the full 5 hours each day the assembly area. smile.png . I think it's a mix of the teachers wanting to sit around doing nothing and let the falang take care of the kids and them thinking they somehow get a better deal out of it. It's just amazing though.....

"Last week I visited another school and will be doing 10 days there once a week"

well done, you have been well and truely shafted. only 7 days in a week and they have you doing 10 days. who got you to agree to that, he/she should be a professional manager of sorts.

Yes I was told this and two of my friends, one of which was specifically trying to get more than one school under the 10k scheme.

There's a complete lack of foreigners in this area. At first I was told that I'd only be allowed to teach at one school, the other schools were told to find other teachers. The other schools must have petitioned that decision because it was overturned and I was signed up for all six schools.

I don't know who bent the rules here but as long as I'm getting paid I don't care. As I said earlier "There's a complete lack of foreigners in this area". It's not unusual to go a couple of weeks without seeing another in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am in the process of signing my name for all the days I have taught at the one school that I actually do attend as part of my visa. It's alot of signing, signing-in and out for everyday I have attended since May. I hope to see the money in my hands by Tuesday!!! Yippie.

I teach at a school here near mae hong son , get 200 baht per hour 50 hours per month, ok only 200 baht but i live at the school,free accomadation /electric etc, my thai wife is the director of the school ,no problems about money, our school is in the mountains 34 kilos from the tarmac road very quiet peaceful,children love having farang teacher ,i love it here only probem long way to go for a beer.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes! - and good luck!

I'm still waiting for the last 2 months' salary and have so far received payment in all for for around half a month.

Things go slowly out here, in the sticks........

Saying that - I don't actually think there'll be any problem getting the money in the end - it's just a case of being extremely patient and waiting.