I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

Hi All

our local village school have approached me asking me to teach English at the school.

they have asked my wife if i can go there every day and do 3 hours.

I’ve said that’s not possible as at the moment we live in Pattaya also and are only in the village Friday night till Monday night.

they have come back asking if i could do 1 full day instead.

there offering 10k per month which seems a very large amount for what they want !

and are also pushing for an answer today as they say they need to submit their paperwork this week.

i have no teaching experience, nor had i really considered teaching as an option before.

this does seem a good way of bedding myself in ready for when we relocate to the village full time.

but i do have a few reservations.

is it legal ? they say they want to submit paperwork but i cannot imagine there talking about work permits

i read on the forums a licence is required to teach.. do village schools just ignore these rules especially with part time teachers.

and the main thing is how hard is to teach .. not an easy question i know , but more of a how do i find out what i would have to do

it’s an interesting proposition as i will get to know more people in the village . but i do not want to a bad job of it if i decide to help out.

This has come very much out of the blue with the 1st phone call at 7am today with frantic follow on’s after. Can’t help wondering if I’m a last resort for paperwork they are late filling in :D

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not legal without paperwork.

School here is VERY different from where you come from. I've been doing it 10 years here and the penny's only just starting to drop.

For 10K I would think you you would have to do 10 full days.

If you don't need the money, I wouldn't bother.

No, it's not legal without paperwork.

School here is VERY different from where you come from. I've been doing it 10 years here and the penny's only just starting to drop.

For 10K I would think you you would have to do 10 full days.

If you don't need the money, I wouldn't bother.

i've said to my wife i cannot see how they could justify 2,500 per day for this .. i would actualy feel i little guilty having it from them.

while the money always helps I see it also as i way perhaps of getting used to village life a litte more, especilay the making of new friends

also the fun aspect of something new.. i don't think i'd like the daily 3 hour version as it creates a huge bind ontime for little return, but just dedicating 1 day per week does not seem so bad.

i wonder if this is part of this 200,000 native english teacher project mentioned on another thread and they have set schools unrealisitic dates to submit paperwork

Maybe they're getting 30K from the government every month for an English teacher. See if they want you to sign in every day, that will show you how 'casual' the arrangement is. They show you signed in every day and bingo! They get a government handout.

I'll bet they don't know how to do a work permit either.

Hmmmm.

i'm being rushed lol ..

7am phone call.

8am phone call.

9am quick discusion

10:30am email arrives with application for employment (at least that what it looks like) .. and a contract (all in thai)

wifey laughing i cannot read any of it .. but says no problem as she chatting away to the head of the school on facebook haha

if it was teaching hydroponics or network security i'd feel much more confortable lol

latest update is that it is teaching 12-18 year olds .. and they would just change all class's around to fit it all in for 1 day ... they must be so desperate !

paperwork seems all official .. has tick box; for qualified / unqualified .. also states 10k for english .. and 5k for chinese .. must be a 1st where the english gets more $$

Edited by silentnine

as i put in my OP .. this is linked to the 200,000 native english speaking initiative.

paperwork has 3 box's relating to work permits.

have work permit

work permit applied for

and work permit exempt for this program !

it appears from dates (they also sent the main letter from there head office telling them to find a teacher)

that they were told on april 12th to find a teacher and submit there paperwork by the 20th april

Yes village schools are generally very desperate for native English speakers - I know about this because my in-laws are both teachers in village schools.

I used to volunteer a few hours in the local schools each time we went to visit the in-laws, and the head-teachers were always asking me to sign contracts and stick around.

I was tempted as teaching is good fun but the pay they were offering was such a joke I started my own school instead with private weekend classes.

Even then the only way it was going to be worthwhile financially was if I built it up for 3-6 months then employed 2/3 other native speakers and paid them 50% each so I would get the revenue from the classes I taught and 50% from each of their classes.

However, after the first month I gave it up because preparing the classes was too much hassle.

Therefore, I would recommend you think carefully about your motivations for doing this. If you assume you will teach 8 hours/day, they are only offering to pay you around 300 baht/hour (150 baht/hour when you include prep time) which is nothing when you convert it into dollars/euros/pounds.

If you just want to help the local children, I would say just offer to do some casual volunteering whenever you are in town. If you care about the cash, you should start your own school and be prepared for a few months hard work getting it set up.

Either way, it will be a lot of hassle, especially if you want to do everything legally (as you suggest) so think very carefully before agreeing to anything.

I was approached yesterday, I said that I was hoping to get a job at another school and couldn't afford to only work for 10,000 baht a month, they said I could work on weekends 3 hours each day. I signed up. For this year it will be a hard go, but next year I was hoping to cut back and 6 hours a week seems just about right. It's a good deal for the village schools, obviously the central government is giving them the budget and for 10,000 baht they aren't going to get a teacher to come from to far away, so if they can get a resident farang it's perfect for them.

I was approached yesterday, I said that I was hoping to get a job at another school and couldn't afford to only work for 10,000 baht a month, they said I could work on weekends 3 hours each day. I signed up. For this year it will be a hard go, but next year I was hoping to cut back and 6 hours a week seems just about right. It's a good deal for the village schools, obviously the central government is giving them the budget and for 10,000 baht they aren't going to get a teacher to come from to far away, so if they can get a resident farang it's perfect for them.

its amusing how they are changing the rules and waiving all the work permit regulations fot this tho

Hi,

Why don’t you give it a try, if you’re planning to live in the village anyways? The school you’re talking about is a high school, starting from Mattayom 1 (12 yrs) to M.6 (18 years).

You’ll have to have either a Non-O visa based on your marriage, or a Non- B. The contract and letter of employment is needed for anything starting from visa and work permit purposes.

Looks like the school will receive 10,000 baht/month for you and that they’re joining the new Thai program to hire foreign teachers.

But you’ll have to have a degree in any field to obtain a work permit. The so called “waiver letter” will be issued at the Teachers Council Of Thailand ( Kurusapa) in Bangkok.

It’s all legal when you fulfill the requirements having a tax number, work permit and the right type of visa.

Schools cannot just ignore existing rules what foreigners need to work here.

It’s always your own responsibility to have the right documents. Also part time, or voluntary employees have to have a work permit.

The waiver letter from Kurusapa will give you two years of time teaching in LOS.

Teaching English in Thailand seems to be very difficult in the beginning. Most students, especially in villages have a very poor command in English, even 12 graders. ( Mathayom 6).

You’ll have to find your own way to teach as there won’t be anybody who’ll give you material, except some English books they’re already using.

Biggest problem will be to communicate with your students, when they don’t understand you, but it’s your duty to make it happen.

When teaching a language you'll have to find a way that they understand you.

Speak clear and slowly.Always check if pupils understood you, no Thai student would say they didn't get it, a sort of loosing face problem.

You’ll have to start with very easy English “What’s your name?” “How old are you” etc and you’ll see their level of English. Based on your "research" you can plan your further lessons.

Being the only foreigner at his school I’d only focus on conversational English, don’t even try to teach some Grammar.

This should be taught by Thais and even they struggle, because nobody can learn Grammar without knowing enough vocabulary.

When you start there just focus on things around them,their school, their province, country, favorite food, hobbies, etc…

As I said, teaching a language in Thailand seems to be very difficult, but I’ve met so many foreigners who love what they’re doing, including me.

Once started, you’ll later have some experience and you might find a more suitable job.

Good luck! wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Yes village schools are generally very desperate for native English speakers - I know about this because my in-laws are both teachers in village schools.

I used to volunteer a few hours in the local schools each time we went to visit the in-laws, and the head-teachers were always asking me to sign contracts and stick around.

I was tempted as teaching is good fun but the pay they were offering was such a joke I started my own school instead with private weekend classes.

Even then the only way it was going to be worthwhile financially was if I built it up for 3-6 months then employed 2/3 other native speakers and paid them 50% each so I would get the revenue from the classes I taught and 50% from each of their classes.

However, after the first month I gave it up because preparing the classes was too much hassle.

Therefore, I would recommend you think carefully about your motivations for doing this. If you assume you will teach 8 hours/day, they are only offering to pay you around 300 baht/hour (150 baht/hour when you include prep time) which is nothing when you convert it into dollars/euros/pounds.

If you just want to help the local children, I would say just offer to do some casual volunteering whenever you are in town. If you care about the cash, you should start your own school and be prepared for a few months hard work getting it set up.

Either way, it will be a lot of hassle, especially if you want to do everything legally (as you suggest) so think very carefully before agreeing to anything.

1. Not just in villages, good teachers are always and everywhere welcome.

2. Why wouldn’t you be interested to sign a contract, when already volunteering there?

3. You stated that you worked on voluntary basis, but you didn’t want to sign a contract? You can’t just open up a language school in Thailand. Well, you can, but you might get arrested and deported.

4. Your plan to employ 2/3 other foreigners and to pay them only 50% even tops some agencies in Bangkok! You gave up because it was too much hassle? I don’t believe you; money isn’t just falling of trees.

5. Your input for the OP sounds odd. Converting all into Euro or Dollar doesn’t make any sense. 300 baht an hour for an inexperienced guy is good money. The preparation time isn’t that much, should a car mechanic also charge people for his preparation time, like taking a shower, etc???

6. Again your message to open up a language school. You can’t just open up a language school and become rich. At least a Master degree, a 10 million baht bank guarantee, a lot of bureaucratic problems and a lot of money to set up your “school” and you’ll very soon understand that it isn’t easy. Wouldn’t other foreigners do that as well? How many language schools owned by foreigners are there in LOS?

7. Please inform us how you set up your language school, guess there’re many out there who’d love to start their own business. Good Day..............wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

so are degrees a requirement for this scheme ?

30+ years ago in my school days it was pretty rare i think that people went on that far.

i myself went as far as 6th form which is UK 'A' levels

A school director can send a special form to the TCT saying that he needs you for his school.which would be a chance to work legally. so working without a degree is possible, but you need backup.....wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

1. Not just in villages, good teachers are always and everywhere welcome.

2. Why wouldn’t you be interested to sign a contract, when already volunteering there?

3. You stated that you worked on voluntary basis, but you didn’t want to sign a contract? You can’t just open up a language school in Thailand. Well, you can, but you might get arrested and deported.

4. Your plan to employ 2/3 other foreigners and to pay them only 50% even tops some agencies in Bangkok! You gave up because it was too much hassle? I don’t believe you; money isn’t just falling of trees.

5. Your input for the OP sounds odd. Converting all into Euro or Dollar doesn’t make any sense. 300 baht an hour for an inexperienced guy is good money. The preparation time isn’t that much, should a car mechanic also charge people for his preparation time, like taking a shower, etc???

6. Again your message to open up a language school. You can’t just open up a language school and become rich. At least a Master degree, a 10 million baht bank guarantee, a lot of bureaucratic problems and a lot of money to set up your “school†and you’ll very soon understand that it isn’t easy. Wouldn’t other foreigners do that as well? How many language schools owned by foreigners are there in LOS?

7. Please inform us how you set up your language school, guess there’re many out there who’d love to start their own business. Good Day..............wai.gif

... it seems you were trying to make 2 general points (which are indeed of use to the OP):

1. Setting up a language school and making it profitable (especially as a foreigner) is not easy

2. The OP has been offered a fair deal (i.e. in line with market rate for a TEFL teacher)

I agree with both of these points but with caveats that there are profitable language schools owned by foreigners here (as with any industry there are many not so profitable businesses run by dim wits) and although the deal offered to the OP may be a fair deal for this job, I am trying to remind the OP that it is not a lot of money and by signing a contract he can't simply change his mind about doing this later

Edit: removed an opening sentence which could have provoked unnecessary bickering

Edited by brit1984

I've been approached today to help head hunt for this. They're desperate because the deadline for them to submit the paperwork (and receive the salary budget from the Ministry) is the 24th of April.

The qualifications required are as follows :

• Native English speaker
  • Completed the equivalent of Matthayom 6 education (High School for North Americans, arguably GCSEs for Britons).
  • Some (any) experience in teaching, well, anything really, as long as you did it in English

Job specification :

• Come in and speak English to people for 6 hours a week
  • Beg, borrow, steal lesson plans / ideas or just make it up as you go along
  • Make them laugh (in English)
  • Have fun (in English)

Compensation :

• 10000 Baht per month
  • Lodgings if the school has available facilities / help to find same.
  • As many whisky soaked team-bonding lunches and dinners as you can handle (if you are so inclined and the place you end up in is anything like my corner of Isan)
  • All references and rubber stamps necessary for you to get a Non-B visa + work permit, although you may have engage your own visa agent (plenty around) as not all school admin departments are experts on immigration law.

Highly suitable for gap-year students or anyone else just looking for something to do off the beaten track and is inclined to give serendipity a chance.

If you fancy a paid or subsidised holiday / anthropological study / path beneath the skin of Thai culture in Chiang Yuen, Maha Sarakham then do get in touch!

Trembly

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

so are degrees a requirement for this scheme ?

30+ years ago in my school days it was pretty rare i think that people went on that far.

i myself went as far as 6th form which is UK 'A' levels

A school director can send a special form to the TCT saying that he needs you for his school.which would be a chance to work legally. so working without a degree is possible, but you need backup.....wai.gif

Good direct info but what is back up. ?

I just agreed to help out for two days a week 3 hours a day in one of my village schools because they cannot find anyone. biggrin.png

My friend who has his work permit now, didn't have a Bachelor's Degree so could not be an English teacher, instead he has the title of Thai English teachers assistant.

My UK school certificates are of old, School Leavers Certificate in six subjects & RSA certificate ( Royal Society of Arts ), and acquired in employment an academic certificate, Fellow of the Institute of Roofing.

Edited by Kwasaki

LOL!

I was approached 2 days ago by the local school here with what sounds like the same paperwork the OP was given. I asked what hours I was expected to work and even after she made a phone call couldn’t tell me but did keep on about me getting 10k/month.

The last thing I ever expected to be doing was teaching but seeing as the school is only a 5 minute walk from my temple I think I will give it a try. My only concern is they want me to agree to a 12 month contract but I am guessing that’s a *Thai* contract so if I needed to break it things would be OK.

Para

• Ministry says 5 month rolling contract (need for constant evaluation that central funds are being effectively used wink.png . . . or something like that)
  • For all of you who are worried about visa matters : the Director of any government school has the authority / civil service seniority required to support your application for a 3 month Non-B visa obtained at a Thai embassy abroad which you can then renew on a yearly basis once you're back in country. If you can't / won't do it yourself then engage a visa agent and make them write down what they need from the school director. Ditto work permit.

Edited by Trembly

Ministry says 5 month rolling contract.

Thanks Trembly 5 months rolling is workable for me.

Do you have any idea what the expected hours are only I am still waiting to get confirmation.

Para

Edited by Para

LOL!

I was approached 2 days ago by the local school here with what sounds like the same paperwork the OP was given. I asked what hours I was expected to work and even after she made a phone call couldn’t tell me but did keep on about me getting 10k/month.

The last thing I ever expected to be doing was teaching but seeing as the school is only a 5 minute walk from my temple I think I will give it a try. My only concern is they want me to agree to a 12 month contract but I am guessing that’s a *Thai* contract so if I needed to break it things would be OK.

Para

I didn't get asked to agree to anything, apart from choosing how many days I wanted to work and the 6 one hour periods covered the 6 groups of form classes.

Then just showed what qualification I had, filled out a form, stuck a picture on it and signed it, the second part had to be filled out by the school, signed the photocopies of passport, proof of address and qualifications.

Visa is not a problem as I have 1 year marriage extensions.

It is now I'm told, being sent off for approval, if approved, a work permit will be issued, and start date will be 14th May. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I didn't get asked to agree to anything, apart from choosing how many days I wanted to work and the 6 one hour periods covered the 6 groups of form classes.

Then just showed what qualification I had, filled out a form, stuck a picture on it and signed it, the second part had to be filled out by the school, signed the photocopies of passport, proof of address and qualifications.

It is now I'm told, being sent off for approval, if approved, a work permit will be issued, and start date will be 14th May. smile.png

Thanks Kwasaki

I am still trying to find out the days/hours expected of me. You are being asked to cover 6 x 1hr lessons a week days/times to be agreed between you and the school?

Happened to me today. I will already be teaching full time for a school in town. they told me i could do 3 hours sat and sunday. I signed up also. hope this works out. it could raise my crappy wages at the town school to something nearing respectable. I hope it works out and they hire me. I dont know however if the education department of Thailand will allow me to hold 2 posts. time will tell.

Edited by thequietman

Thanks Kwasaki

I am still trying to find out the days/hours expected of me. You are being asked to cover 6 x 1hr lessons a week days/times to be agreed between you and the school?

Yes, at first they said one day 6 hours or spread them out over a whole week as long as I covered all the forms in the school.

It turned out the only way that could be done was to do 6 hours over two days at 3 hours per day according to there week form program if that's the correct term, I didn't want to hack it in one day anyway, so I chose Tuesday & Thursday. e.g.

The school that requires my great expertise :D has classes 1/1 - 1/2 - 2/1 - 2/2 - 3/1 - 3/2 which I can cover in two days.

English classes in this school are :- Monday 4 English classes, Tuesday 3 English classes, Wednesday 3 English classes, Thurs 4 English classes and Friday 4 English classes.

They want another person as well.

Thanks Kwasaki

Yes, at first they said one day 6 hours or spread them out over a whole week as long as I covered all the forms in the school.

It turned out the only way that could be done was to do 6 hours over two days at 3 hours per day according to there week form program if that's the correct term, I didn't want to hack it in one day anyway, so I chose Tuesday & Thursday. e.g.

The school that requires my great expertise biggrin.png has classes 1/1 - 1/2 - 2/1 - 2/2 - 3/1 - 3/2 which I can cover in two days.

English classes in this school are :- Monday 4 English classes, Tuesday 3 English classes, Wednesday 3 English classes, Thurs 4 English classes and Friday 4 English classes.

my son is looking for a 'conversational english' job, as he has no tefl cert yet, so do they want a qualified teacher? he has been looking around schools in Phuket but he can't speak Thai and they don't speak english so it's difficult for him to ask about work.

my son is looking for a 'conversational english' job, as he has no tefl cert yet, so do they want a qualified teacher? he has been looking around schools in Phuket but he can't speak Thai and they don't speak english so it's difficult for him to ask about work.

Not sure about the others here but I dont have any training qualifications...............

Not sure about the others here but I dont have any training qualifications...............

ahh, so did you go directly to the schools to ask for work? did you get your work permit sorted and did they help you? i assume the pay is less than if you have quals. can you live on the pay? thx

deb

ahh, so did you go directly to the schools to ask for work? did you get your work permit sorted and did they help you? i assume the pay is less than if you have quals. can you live on the pay? thx

deb

The school came to me as I am actually a Monk at the local temple. My *paperwork* situation is very different from anyone else’s so I really can’t answer that question, sorry. As a Monk the local community supports me so the money isnt my main interest but will obviously come in handy for things!

[The school that requires my great expertise biggrin.png has classes 1/1 - 1/2 - 2/1 - 2/2 - 3/1 - 3/2 which I can cover in two days.

We are in Sukhothai the job that's full time is for a girl only, there is only one part-time position left at the moment but others may come up.

The rule to be a English teacher in Thailand is to have Bachelor Degree but to get around that they are hiring people that speak English and write English with just final exam certificate from there last school as Thai English Teacher Assistants.

Hope that explains the situation. K