Blackberry Playbook

LuckyLew

I am looking at buying a tablet and am looking at the blackberry tablet

Does anyone on this forum have one?

Do you recommend it?

Also, the choice and amount of apps for the playbook seems a little bit limited

If I buy the playbook, will I be able to use the apps from the apple apps store?

Are they compatible?

Thanks in advance

LL

The magazine TheRegister(dot)co(dot)uk voted the playbook the worst gadget in 2011 and i think they're 100 % right on. You will find android 3.2 tablets out there for around ~4500 Thb, if you don't want to spend much.

Even with PB os 2.0 support for andriod is limited, so my recommendation would be: do not get it.

You need a compatible Blackberry phone to get the full use out of a playbook. Your playbook connects to your BB phone via bluetooth with a program called "Blackberry Bridge". It's a free app that enables you to use your BB phone to connect to internet and will also pull all your phone contacts, email, BBM and SMS from your phone to your Playbook. I use mine for reading documents that are impossible to read on my phones display mainly. It also has a great camera (front and back facing) that I use to show images to clients of my various projects that are going on. Makes a great presentation on site at a moments notice.

Another thing I like is that once your finished using your playbook and close the connection between it and your Blackberry phone, nothing is saved in your Playbook, such as your email, BBM history, thus making it a very secure tool.

Now of course if your into a lot of gaming and all those apps that will do everything from tell you if a table is level to wiping your butt for you, then a Playbook is probably not something you want. Playbook is a bare bones tool for doing business and keeping your data safe. It's all in what you are looking for. I'm very happy with mine for what I use it for, work not play.

PS, You can not use Apple apps.

Edited by hedonist44

ya i wouldn't recommend playbook dhgate website sells good android tablets with os 4.0 or better startinga round 89 dollars up or the new nexus 7 just came out starting at 200 dollars brother in law has one says its great RIM is a sinking ship.

As others said, the Playbook as little chances of being the right option.

It offers nothing better than the competitors, and the Blackberry platform is dying, there is very little developpers working on it.

iPad is a sure choice, although some might find the 10 inch a bit too big and the price a bit too steep (it comes with pretty much every options). I'd wait a few weeks until the Nexus 7 starts to appear in shops in Thailand. Probably won't be $199 like in the US, but it will remain a very interesting price.

In short: depending on your needs, iPad or one of the Android tablets would answer your needs, and have a better chance of a future.

jiu-jitsu

Blah, blah, blah....have you actually used one?

The people who I know who actually own one are happy with them.

and how many people is that five sure if your using it for business and have a BB to bridge it might be useful for people wanting a user friendly tablet there useless android is cheap and cheerful and if ya want to spend the dough ipad personally not a fan of anything apple to limited but to each there own

Edited by sdoc

jiu-jitsu

and how many people is that five sure if your using it for business and have a BB to bridge it might be useful for people wanting a user friendly tablet there useless android is cheap and cheerful and if ya want to spend the dough ipad personally not a fan of anything apple to limited but to each there own

Can you re-write that in English? If this is indicative of what comes out of your Android unit, I'll give it a miss. Thank you.

jiu-jitsu

Can you re-write that in English? If this is indicative of what comes out of your Android unit, I'll give it a miss. Thank you.

haha, +1 :)