Condo Sq Meter Less Than Stated Upon Sale.

I just go the official government certificate concerning my newly purchased Condo. The Condo was listed as 50.4 sq meters and is stated as such in the contract of sale. The Government certificate states 48.26 Sq meters. I paid 30357 baht per sq meter. Is the Condo company (developer) libel for approximately 60,000 baht cash return? If so do I need a lawyer?

When you buy a condo you pay for 2 areas:

1 The Private area as detailed on the Chanote

2 The extra area (difference between the advertised area and the private area) is your contribution toward the commonly owned area.

No cash return I suspect

looks like a view to kill bill - eg. paid balcony. You can try to use a lawyer - maybe you ask the guy's at sunbelt. I would guess with a case value of 152999.8 THB , all it takes a couple of letters from one lawyer to another and your balcony get more expensive than before. And this even if you win !

The balconies are not included on the official sqm of the room on the chanote but are listed separately.

So you should have two figures that add up to the 50.4sqm.

one for the balcony, and one for the room.

It is true that on the Chanote the balcony M2 is itemised separately from the main living M2

This distinction is a factor in assessing the transfer tax .Balconies attract less tax than living areas.

These 2 values will add up to the total Chanote M2. In the OP case 48.26 M2

The OP paid 1,465,028 baht for his 48.6M2

and 64,964 Baht for his contribution to the commonly owned area(priced at 2.14 x 30357)

Nothing else to say. Unless someone knows differently.

Shouldn't all this stuff be cleared up before you pay for the condo though? Surely there was an inspection process before payment. I would not expect to get anything back in this situation, although it doesn't hurt to try.

Our bedroom and en suite are almost that size.

yippy do da...

Right, and you have to cool those areas off and fill them with furniture too, clean and maintain them etc. To each their own though smile.png

Edited by meand

smile.png

yippy do da...

Right, and you have to cool those areas off and fill them with furniture too, clean and maintain them etc. To each their own though smile.png

I know ,(we do lots in our bedroom) but i just couldnt live full time in a small apartment ,so as you say "each to his own"smile.png

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

smile.png

yippy do da...

I know ,(we do lots in our bedroom) but i just couldnt live full time in a small apartment ,so as you say "each to his own"smile.png

In the US everybody seems to want these HUGE houses. When I moved here I realized how much I enjoy these small spaces, and how (incidentally) environmentally friendly and extremely easy they are. But if you happen not to like them, I guess that is just the luck of the draw. Either way, it is kinda an interesting cultural shift. The more I think about it though, the more I feel the question why we need these huge spaces pops into my mind, maybe it is just kind of a mental thing.

Edited by meand

Meand

you say you enjoy small spaces,up to you ,we like having room to move around ,i like the fact that i have a study where i can play on my computer and keep my books . its nice that my son has a large bedroom so when he is home at weekends he can study ,and its nice we have a spare room for guests ,i also like it that we can have the things we have baught over the years around us ,as for the enviroment ,not my problem ,nothing i can do so please don"t get me started ,we use very little electricity,and recycle as much as we can anyway "each to his own" YOU SAID IT!!smile.png

2 The extra area (difference between the advertised area and the private area) is your contribution toward the commonly owned area.

No cash return I suspect

Rubish and totally not true

The balconies are not included on the official sqm of the room on the chanote but are listed separately.

Strange, I have had 10 condos in 2 differnt parts of Thailand. (2 land offices) and always I got just 1 total area on all chanotes So again I would say rubish to that

• Like 1

Having worked for a condo development company here in Thailand, people buying off plan, some times when they make them walls are thicker or thinner or off a little and size is not exact. Before you get your room you should check everything, the Chanote, that everything works as required and is how they told you. IF not, have it fixed prior to closing on it

And I assure you if your unit is larger they will as for extra payment, and if it is smaller they should give back if your request

There is also a consumer protection board here in Thailand that helps with things like this.

• Like 1

Meand

you say you enjoy small spaces,up to you ,we like having room to move around ,i like the fact that i have a study where i can play on my computer and keep my books . its nice that my son has a large bedroom so when he is home at weekends he can study ,and its nice we have a spare room for guests ,i also like it that we can have the things we have baught over the years around us ,as for the enviroment ,not my problem ,nothing i can do so please don"t get me started ,we use very little electricity,and recycle as much as we can anyway "each to his own" YOU SAID IT!!smile.png

You were the one who mentioned "my bedroom and ensuite is that size" almost as if bragging. To each their own, i'm just pointing out that this is nothing to really be bragging about. And incidentally means I dont necessarily care or not care about the environment, it just so happens that what I like is environmentally friendly, lucky me. plus it is friendly on the wallet and time/maintenance and all other things i can think of, with no drawbacks... lucky me -- so no reason to brag about size = point.

Edited by meand
  • Like 1

Strange, I have had 10 condos in 2 differnt parts of Thailand. (2 land offices) and always I got just 1 total area on all chanotes So again I would say rubish to that

For certain on my Chanote both areas are itemized separately:

1-ระเบียง balcony

2-เนื้อที่ Room space

I would be surprised if your Chanotes (all 10 of them ) are different.

Meand

You were the one who mentioned "my bedroom and ensuite is that size" almost as if bragging. To each their own, i'm just pointing out that this is nothing to really be bragging about. And incidentally means I dont necessarily care or not care about the environment, it just so happens that what I like is environmentally friendly, lucky me. plus it is friendly on the wallet and time/maintenance and all other things i can think of, with no drawbacks... lucky me -- so no reason to brag about size = point.

Well my dads bigger than your dadbiggrin.png

• Like 1

No cash return I suspect

Rubish and totally not true

You will agree that a condo total has 2 separate designated areas:

1. Private area for each co –owner
  2. Commonly owned area

Furthermore the Commonly owned area has to be paid for by the co –owners.

If co –owner simply paid for their private area i.e. the Chanote area -then they would not even have legal access to their own condo.

For that reason the methodology that I detailed is valid –unless, of course, you know of a different system.

Well, I am all about the consumer rights and protection, but this case seems to be one where the consumer didn't check things out properly before paying, as others have noted. Although I do still wish him luck.

Well i have all my condos from the same district office and they all clearly show two separate sqm areas:

1 for living area.

2 for balcony.

Maybe your district offices do things differently, or your not looking carefully enough.

P.S: I don't talk rubbish!