Do U Feel Safe In Bangkok?

Belfastboy

just wondering, as im moving soon to bkk with my pregnant thai wife..in about a year or so...

do u feel safe? and im speaking to the family men here...all those with kids...

my mrs keeps on to me about how bkk isnt safe as here...i guess she means thieves and how life is cheap in thailand...

just worry sometimes....

so for all fellow family men who have been in bkk for a while....whats your experiences...?

any probs with violence, robbery, ??

Bangkok is as safe as any big city in the world. I'm curious about your post being from Dublin myself and I guessing you from Belfast...but your wife says "Bangkok is not safe as here" where is here...your not meaning Belfast are you??

Bangkok is as safe as any big city in the world. I'm curious about your post being from Dublin myself and I guessing you from Belfast...but your wife says "Bangkok is not safe as here" where is here...your not meaning Belfast are you??

We ,my wife kids and I ,have never felt threatened in normal every day life actually quite the reverse we live in a normal mid class housing estate no farang palaces or expensive housing which is a beacon to say we are rich rob us .

We do have security lighting , garden walls nothing excessive more to keep the dogs out and ours in . The nieghbours are good in general and we see and speak to most people in our soi ( street ) every day very friendly this creates a natural security in the soi ( some may veiw it as a nosey area ) It is like a village community , the kids play out in the soi all the time and the whole soi tends to look out for the communal kids including discipline and feeding . Like it used to be back in the Uk when I was a kid . My terms of reference I lived in Belfast at the hieght of the troubles . Arabic countries during the Gulf war , Bangladesh during and after 9/11 , and central London several times . I know where I feel safer . But like any city any where in the world there are areas best not visited alone at night due to drinking and drug issues ... basicaly no problem choose your living area with some care ( not always the poshest , snootiest and loneliest ) with some luck your kids could be riding their bikes , playing /skipping / hopscotch /play picnics / roller skating / painting / cooking or at least preparing salads ...just as mine were last Saturday every time they were checked.

My mum ( 80 years old )over for a month from the UK was amazed and said it was pre war social living ..the good bits .

Thats my experiences I hope you achieve the same results ...we did think alot about creating and finding the right environment and did not use ( or tried not to )western social and class values in choosing where and how to live ie we are in the community not a high rise or expensive sterile environment with my wife going crazy by herself .

Good Luck

just wondering, as im moving soon to bkk with my pregnant thai wife..in about a year or so...

do u feel safe? and im speaking to the family men here...all those with kids...

my mrs keeps on to me about how bkk isnt safe as here...i guess she means thieves and how life is cheap in thailand...

just worry sometimes....

so for all fellow family men who have been in bkk for a while....whats your experiences...?

any probs with violence, robbery, ??

Theres no issues here, its as safe as any country and as safe as you make it. Use common sense and you will be fine.

Don't allow the kids and the Mrs. to hang out in, and close, too many bars or pubs.

With all the robbers, rapists, murders, terrorists and such, throughout the world, one is always more likely to be injured in a traffic incident. This includes police!

The exception would be an actual war zone.

That said, Bangkok traffic is nuts!

I find BKK extremely safe. I work in Iraq, my fear threshold is a bit high right now, but when I compare BKK to the real world; it's still safe. I've lived in several big cities in America and a few in Eastern Europe. I actually find it safe and friendly. I apply common sense and avoid areas that look questionable or unsafe. You will find what you seek in BKK.

maybe some will hate me for that, but in my eyes BKK is definitely NOT safe. and I have seen 32 countries so far. its quite safe at daytime, but its VERY VERY SCARY and UNSAFE at night (Alcohol and YABBA is one big reason for that). thats the main reason why I bought an old used car, though I seldom go out at night....

but as u move to here with ur familiy, u probably will stay at home in the evening hours and the SCUM OF THE NIGHT wont bother u much....

somebody who lived at BRONX or BOGOTA or RIO still might consider BKK a safe place, so your view will probably alway depend on where u come from.....

oh ya, I have to edit my post, just read this recent thread and u know what I mean: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57038&hl=

Edited by AsiaWolfie

In my experience with big cities in America when it gets dark, the good people lock themselves in their residences and the threatening figures come out and take to the streets like skinheads, gangs, crazed drug users, thieves, and aggressive pan handlers. I don't feel safe under those circumstances and this just doesn't happen in Bangkok. In Bangkok you will see the same type people out and about at 2am as you do at 2pm. I at times return home at crazy hours in the early morning and no matter where or what time, always found things as safe as can be. I don't think there is anywhere in the world that anyone is immune to violence, but I can't think of a safer place than Bangkok. Everyone has their own experiences, but mine is I feel 100% safe no matter where or when in Bangkok and I have been roaming around it for years on end.

Bangkok - very safe, safest place I've ever resided in. Are you on edge? You said in your initial post: in Bangkok, never. In other wetsern big cities, quite possibly, yes. But in Bangkok you can generally wander around in daylight or after dark without feeling threatened or on edge at all.

thanks guys for all the info....

just wondered as looking in u never know what its really like until u live there....the mrs i guess is over protective as i am of her, but i guess its like anywere.....although thais do seem to lose the rag alot quicker than westerners...and when they do lose the rag they tend to go over the top as well. just an observation...

yes and when she feels safe here...here is good old belfast....believe it or not belfast has the lowest crime rate in the UK ....of course there is political shit but its such a sterotype that its dangerous...no way...although saying that i still wouldnt wander down the city centre after hours...too many spides (northern irish version of chavs) looing trouble...

:o

anyhow...thanks again...appreciate it!...

I think BKK is safe as a big city could be. I've lived in some big cities. London, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland. I dont feel any more safe here than any where else. Common sense comes into it. But i do believe for MOST farang then BKK is safe. As many many live around Sukhumvit!! To me it doesnt feel like you are in a foreign country.

I think BKK is safe as a big city could be. I've lived in some big cities. London, Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland. I dont feel any more safe here than any where else. Common sense comes into it. But i do believe for MOST farang then BKK is safe. As many many live around Sukhumvit!! To me it doesnt feel like you are in a foreign country.

IMO, for foreigners, Bangkok is safer than other big cities (excluding Tokyo or Singapore). Not only safer, much better than that.

Hey, it's a 10 million people there, 3 times the population of, say, Norway.

At least, I have never felt unsafe in the City of Angels.

I might go and rant about the place but it would never touch the safety concern.

IMO, for foreigners, Bangkok is safer than other big cities (excluding Tokyo or Singapore). Not only safer, much better than that.

Hey, it's a 10 million people there, 3 times the population of, say, Norway.

At least, I have never felt unsafe in the City of Angels.

I might go and rant about the place but it would never touch the safety concern.

Agreed.

AisaWolfie, seems like you're the only person who has a wildly different opinion to everyone else here - which areas of Bangkok do you find "VERY VERY SCARY and UNSAFE"? I've never felt even remotely scared or unsafe in the areas that I've been to in the night time. By the way, I'm not challenging your statement: maybe you've seen a side to Bangkok that I haven't. I'm curious to know more.

Edited by dantilley

Generally BKK is safe in the day time. But the night time can turn suddenly nightmare. If you are frequent party goer you should know. I would still avoid night spots with mostly Thais. I have seen too many times senseless fighting between Thai groups. Most of the fighting started like someone looks at someone's girlfriend or someone stare or glance at someone or someone steps on someone's shoes or someone just don't like the look or shirt of someone else ect. It could be very nasty or life threatening if you get caught in the middle of action.

When these little Thai guys fight, they use knives, sticks, rocks, bricks, anything and always hit until someone nearly dead or dead on the ground then they all flee. Always in groups fighting. A few weeks ago I took a visiting friend to go out. We went a few night places and after hour we made our way to Ratchada Soi 6. They have sea food restaurants and some Thai night spots open till very late.

We were with 2 Thai girls. And suddenly a big fight broke out about 2 tables next to us. One Thai young guy hit another guy with a glass bottle and then the attacker's friend stuck broken bottle into the same guy's face. Very disgusting scenery. Many tables were overturned and we had to jump some barriers to get out to the streets. Then a few of victim's friends came and started to fight back and the whole gangs were fighting in the street with hundreds of onlookers.

We had to run into the parking lot of Dance Fever disco because so many rocks and bricks were flying all over the street. Total chaos. Did not see all the details. Later we saw about 3-4 guys all bloody lying on the ground. We just decided to leave from the opposite side of the soi.

Things like this happen every night in all the Thai entertainment areas. And police do not care much because they happen too often every night everywhere. During the whole gang fight we saw which lasted about 20 minutes or so, not even one police showed up.

Things like this happen every night in all the Thai entertainment areas. And police do not care much because they happen too often every night everywhere. During the whole gang fight we saw which lasted about 20 minutes or so, not even one police showed up.

Things like this happen every night, worldwide, where there are "entertainment" areas. Booze and babes always makes for trouble.

Personally, although I may find myself in drinking venues, when drunks begin to manifest, I find a better venue. Life's too short to hang out with drunks!

Things like this happen every night in all the Thai entertainment areas.

Well, I've been out in Rachada many times and never seen a scene like this so it can't be "every night in all the Thai entertainment areas". Fights break out occasionaly, as is inevitable, but in my experience it is a very infrequent occurrence in Bangkok when compared with any western big city, where it really would be every night that things kick off.

QUOTE(malmoking @ 2006-01-24 03:18:49)

Things like this happen every night in all the Thai entertainment areas

Yeahhh , got to say all the times Ive been to Soi 6, never seen anything like that so nope sorry I dont agree.

Ive been coming to Thailand since 86 and have lived here for the last 20 months, the only thing bad thats happened was a pickpocket got my ipod (and that was last Sunday).

When I lived in London, got beat up 3 times (nil provacation) broken into twice (Kingston upon Thames and Wimbledon) had my credit cards nicked before they got to me, my old analogue mobile phone cloned so many times I lost count, safer here, yes qiute safer

yes I would have to say I feel a lot safer here than in London, obviously common sense is required at night and there are parts of Bangkok I wouldn't go to unless absolutely had to, but on the whole feel safer than on a friday night out in many parts of London

maybe some will hate me for that, but in my eyes BKK is definitely NOT safe. and I have seen 32 countries so far. its quite safe at daytime, but its VERY VERY SCARY and UNSAFE at night (Alcohol and YABBA is one big reason for that). thats the main reason why I bought an old used car, though I seldom go out at night....

but as u move to here with ur familiy, u probably will stay at home in the evening hours and the SCUM OF THE NIGHT wont bother u much....

somebody who lived at BRONX or BOGOTA or RIO still might consider BKK a safe place, so your view will probably alway depend on where u come from.....

oh ya, I have to edit my post, just read this recent thread and u know what I mean: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57038&hl=

bad things happen to good people all over the world. any newspaper in any city will have reports of tragic events between humans. no matter where you go - there are CREEPS out there. i have not felt at all uncomfortable in bkk, even late at night.

but then, you always have the option of 'being in the wrong place at the wrong time'

• 3 weeks later...

OK ... Let's be honest .... I didn't feel safe in BKK when I first got here to live ... and I didn't feel safe before I moved here but was a tourit ..

Yeah I was a wuss! I was intimidated and that's the only reason. I go to strictly "Thai places" very often now and never feel ill at ease. I have in fact had people go out of their way, in places that I was the only farang, to approach me and try to use whatever English skills they possessed to make me comfortable.

Yeah ... I've poured my ass into a few taxis to get across town at 5am drunk as a skunk. No problems.

Could life change? Could something bad happen? SURE! I have been mugged at gunpoint in Dallas. etc etc (always sober no less)

As far as school-aged kids go ... no issues pick a good school

Hi Guys, very interesting set of views.

Me and the wife (she is Thai) r planning on spending a few nights in Bangkok before we head down to Pattaya. We have booked a hotel on Sukhumvit (Bel-Air Princess), should we know of any places that we should steer clear of and not going drinking and partying there?

The missus was telling me last night that she is alittle worried about getting a taxi after hours because u dont know who u r getting a taxi from. She was telling me that she has read stories in Thai newspapers of so-called taxi drivers picking people up and driving them to somewhere secluded and mugging them.I just brushed off and said dont worry, I am well built lad who can handle himself, so would this put any Thai taxi mugger off? also has anybody else heard of this happening?

Thanks people.