Where Is This Next Frontier For Business And Lifestyle?

hermespan

In my 25 years going to S. E. Asia, I missed Thailand in the golden days of opportunity, experienced the halycion days of Cambodia, apparently missed getting in in time in Vietnam, and who knows about Burma? Now that I have a small nest egg It's time for move to move from tourist to investor mode.

Where is next, Laos, East Timor, isolated regions of Cambodia? Opinions please. For me a golden opportunity is very few government regulations, low cost of living but expected to become a tourist destination in 5-8 years. I can tolerate reasonable corruption, lousy infrastructure and crappy ffood. But I have no patience for rules and regulations and taxes.

Cambodia, although there are large forces at play that may make you WISH that there were rules and regulations, at least those protecting what you might think you own.

Depending on what kind of investment you are talking about, Cambodia needs lots of things. It doesn't need landlords, car dealers, tuk-tuk drivers, etc. Probably doesn't need small resort owners, with a few possibly endangered exceptions. Does need decent service-oriented businesses, technology, etc.

The feeling of having missed the 'Golden Age' is largely in your head. Go somewhere, dig in, and be prepared for the long game. Those who got rich quick aren't...

• Like 1

I used to say Indonesia, but I reckon China's a great place to live at the moment.

Why? What criteria? Interesting..

Huge amount of people (obviously), fantastic infrastructure: planes, trains and automobiles, growing middle-class, very, very few expats running and owning businesses here, friendly people, apartments are expensive but otherwise the cost of living is very, very low (my lunch today was about 1$ for 2 courses a duck egg and rice.. Lots of work around and busness visa's seem easy to get, range of incredible cities to live in..

Another vote for Myanmar / Burma from me. The question is rather what type of businesses you as a non-connected foreigner could legally start, imho.

Regarding North Korea? What's changed? They certainly have not by much if at all and won't for a long time. Cuba would have been a better long term reply but it's not in Asia, of course.

Another vote for Myanmar / Burma from me. The question is rather what type of businesses you as a non-connected foreigner could legally start, imho.

Everyone seems to be saying Burma at the moment, but the reality is that the very best possible outcome for that place is that it will be like today's Philippines in 20 years from now with about five families controlling the majority of the economy. Land is already hugely expensive in the urban areas and almost everything is owned by a very small group of people. I very much doubt your going to see it opening up in the same way as Cambodia did where everything was still to play for and foreign businessmen and investors were basically given a free reign.

Still, Christopher, the world has a hunger and curiosity about the place and I don't feel that for many other countries right now. As I had expressed and agreeing with you, opportunities for outsiders will probably be limited.

Regarding North Korea? What's changed? They certainly have not by much if at all and won't for a long time. Cuba would have been a better long term reply but it's not in Asia, of course.

Cuba is a dreadful place to live. It is a virtual police state. The last time I was there a local guy that I spoke to for 5 minutes, was immediately arrested. The sentiment of the police is that if you are talking to a foreigner, you are either pimping, selling drugs, or trying to attain the incredibly illegal dollar. It is a police state. The leaders are absolute billionaire pigs. Castro is a swine. The people hate the govt. The food is horrendous. The women are beautiful, but it is all underground. Not even much fun to visit anymore, much less live.

Everyone seems to be saying Burma at the moment, but the reality is that the very best possible outcome for that place is that it will be like today's Philippines in 20 years from now with about five families controlling the majority of the economy. Land is already hugely expensive in the urban areas and almost everything is owned by a very small group of people. I very much doubt your going to see it opening up in the same way as Cambodia did where everything was still to play for and foreign businessmen and investors were basically given a free reign.

Finally, an assessment from a sensible man. Even Suu Kyi recommends caution. There is so much unbridled optimism about Burma. The govt. has not proven that they are not still absolute pigs. They have raped, pillaged, maimed, and stolen from their people for 6 decades now. All of the top generals are multi billionaires. What proof does ANYONE have that there is any real reform? Of course they have released a few thousands prisoners. They understand the billions to be made on the foreign investors. But, are they (the govt., and the military) really willing to offer the freedoms and liberties that so many of us take for granted? Are they willing to stop persecuting and raping the Rohingan people, or will they stop killing the Karen? Or stop dealing in heroin? Really, people. Let's view Burma with a bit of sobriety, and let the pig generals demonstrate that they are serious about real reform.

• Like 1

Still, spidermike, a. imho they cannot go back to the same level of iron grip they held before and b. if you wait till you can be 100% sure you've waited too long in most scenarios as others have moved in already.

Regarding, Cuba, yes it's not a good situation now, my comment was based on an eventual end of the Castro era and loosening of restrictions.

China, 300 million meddle class, rich and super rich, more Ferrari's sold in China than any other country, and, wait for it, 1 billion people in abject poverty. The numbers always win. The rich along the coast, the poor inland, but even inland great infrastructure, electric everywhere great roads etc. If I were a younger man I would go there myself, as I am not, I am going to Chaing Mai to write books/retire. Read the books of Jim Rodgers about China. The numbers always win. SVS

China, 300 million meddle class, rich and super rich, more Ferrari's sold in China than any other country, and, wait for it, 1 billion people in abject poverty. The numbers always win. The rich along the coast, the poor inland, but even inland great infrastructure, electric everywhere great roads etc. If I were a younger man I would go there myself, as I am not, I am going to Chaing Mai to write books/retire. Read the books of Jim Rodgers about China. The numbers always win. SVS

Dead right there, but I don't understand why you wouldn't consider China, as a retirement destination as well. I'm almost 50 and living in Chengdu at the moment and its fantastic. I'm beginning to have second thoughts about retiring in SE Asia as here beats a lot of those countries hands-down. I'm not a business man, but there is so much going on and local companies are struggling to get hold of labour and materials, so I reckon theres some money to be made by the brave.

The other point I've noticed is how incredibly friendly people all. Language is still a bit of a barrier though if you're workng outside Beijing and Shanghai

If you are already in Thailand,go anywhere close to Kanchanaburi where the new highway to Myanmar is being build.Landprices are on a steady increase and some money can be made for sure if you are willing to do your homework.

The main drawback to mainland China as a place to live is the huge language barrier anywhere outside of Shanghai, and to a lesser extent Beijing and Xian. Unless you are prepared to invest a not inconsiderable amount of time and effort in learning Mandarin, even the most mundane tasks will present an almost insurmountable hurdle. Renting accommodation, banking, public transportation, dealing with government offices, utility and service companies, medical care and even dating and eating out all (naturally enough) require a functional knowledge of the spoken and sometimes the written language. English, or any other non-local language, is virtually non-existent outside a few enclaves catering to tourists and visiting foreign businessmen. Throw in the myriad mix of local dialects and the fact that Mandarin becomes less standard the further South or West you travel, plus the usual Asian stares of incomprehension when Westerners inexpertly attempt to speak the local language, and everyday communication becomes not only a challenge, but a chore.

Another thing to consider is the effect of fairly draconian censorship on information originating outside of China, as the "Great Firewall" inexorably tightens its grip. Some of your favourite websites may be inaccessible, either permanently or on an ad hoc basis A bit of a pain if you depend on gmail or google apps for your business, for example.

Edited by Rumpole