Getting Divorced

colin2012

Me and my Thai wife are now separated and we want a divorce she is getting nasty and wants my pension we got married in Thailand and I never registered it in the uk what is she intiltled too and do we have to get divorced in Thailand

The marriage does not have to be registered in England, it is already a legal one the world over.

If you married in Thailand you both go to the Amphur and get divorced, if you both agree on the terms.

Well she certainly ain't entitled to all of your pension, can you expand a bit on your OP......are you English? or Scottish? ( different divorce rules apply ), How long were you married for? How long have you been separated for? do you have a private pension as well as a state pension? Is it the wife that is wanting a divorce? Do you intend to stay near her? Tell us more so that the resident experts can get their teeth into it.

yes she lives about 5 miles away and she left the rented house she now lives with her friend she want she is going to see a laywer about what she can get from me i also work for british airways and wants my staff travel consession what can i do

My German wife got a percentage of my pension as part of our divorce, luckily enough am not at the pensionable age yet.

If she is in the UK she can also remain there, just by adding a few white lies to her side of the story, be very careful.

As Beano said, It looks like there is going to be some kind of entitlement and settlement at the end of the process so in reality all you can do is put the matter into the hands of your lawyer however!!!........Delay the process, just don't get involved, make it her problem, her so called "nastiness" is a complete irrelevance and quite normal in a separation. So unless you have a compelling reason to go through the divorce process just now just don't bother. Don't let her bully you into it.

You'll end up doing irrational things if your not thinking straight, don't spend time in lawyers offices for no reason, just sit back and watch what comes through your door from her lawyer when she gets one. If you want a quick heads up as to the BA policy in regards to transferring benefits on divorce go and see the Human Resources department or you're Union rep.

Chill out, when emotion meets logic emotion always wins, however if you can step back from the process just now you'll be better for it in the end.

ps. How old are you? and how close are you to retiring?

Edited by theblether

im 39 and she is 43 i cant retire until im 70 she has a remain to stay but not a british passport is that any good

If similar to Australia, remain to stay, cannot ask immigration to take any action as against Human Rights

Edited by simple1

You are living in a rented house ...... so no loss there.

Worst she can do is get a 50% share in your last 5 years pension entitlement.

I wouldn't worry that much, now she's out of the house.

But potential nastiness

This will be accusations of domestic violence which you must avoid by:-

1) Do not contact her, do not allow her to contact you directly.

2) Do not meet her.

3) If she calls at your house, do not let her in, call the police 999, tell them she is threatening you.

If you can do that you might be safe.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

im 39 and she is 43 i cant retire until im 70 she has a remain to stay but not a british passport is that any good

I think you have answered your own question there, it's 27 years before you can retire so plenty can happen before then. Take Tommo's advice just cut off all contact then leave it to the lawyers.........she'll end up finding that what she thinks she is entitled to and what she is actually entitled to are two totally different things.

Remember the first rule of divorce proceedings........the more you say the more you expose yourself to counter attack......so say nothing. Nothing at all.