Transport Ministry Expects Suvarnabhumi Airport To Be Overcrowded In 4 Years

webfact

Transport Ministry expects Suvarnabhumi to be overcrowded in 4 years

BANGKOK, 30 July 2012 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is finding ways to solve the anticipated overcrowding problem at Suvarnabhumi Airport, citing the airport will be overloaded in four years.

Deputy Transport Minister Chatchart Sithipan revealed that it has assigned the Airports of Thailand (AOT), the operator of Suvarnabhumi Airport, and Thai Airways to draw guidelines to prepare for a more congested airport, especially the export cargo problems.

According to Mr Chatchart, one-fourth of the Thai export is transported by air from Suvarnabhumi Airport, and the volume has been increasing. It is expected that the airport service will be overwhelmed in the next four years if nothing is done soon.

Most products sent by air are high-value products and income generators such as electronic and computer parts.

Meanwhile,the Deputy Minister has also ordered the AOT to talk to the Royal Air Force about the operation of a golf course under its supervision, the Kantarat Golf Course, which is located between the runways of Don Muang Airport.

He explained that the trees are blocking the visibility of air traffic controllers and golfers can walk on the airport runway at will, which make it easy for ill-intended people to plot an attack.

He said these are safety issues that Don Muang Airport has to solve to put the airport on a par with the international aviation safety standard.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-30 footer_n.gif

So all those years waiting for a new airport for that kind of results ? is that a joke ? thought BKK airport would be the first HUB in Asia ? LOL Anyway maybe its time to think to expend the actual airport , new runaway (good quality this time) ... and human size terminal which now allow you to walk few miles from the aircraft to the immigration. Maybe time to ask some professional some helps , advises even from foreigners.

• Like 2

Meanwhile,the Deputy Minister has also ordered the AOT to talk to the Royal Air Force about the operation of a golf course under its supervision, the Kantarat Golf Course, which is located between the runways of Don Muang Airport.

You're kidding, right!?

• Like 1

You're kidding, right!?

They're not kidding. Sometimes you get held up while a plane moves through on the taxi way.

Sounds like another bearuricrat just woke up from a long winters nap (overslept also). They may want to consider a foreign effeciency evulation of the entire facility and get some useful imput. They might be surprised at what could be done with what they have, under qualified management, who had authority to sort out the various problems which have been apparent from the opening of this "tabernackle to waste/corruption"

You're kidding, right!?

Played that course a few times.......a serious slice can have you out of bounds and into a turbofan, no matter of club selection will get you out of that one ;)

The Transport Ministry is finding ways to solve the anticipated overcrowding problem at Suvarnabhumi Airport, citing the airport will be overloaded in four years.

Its **snipping** congested now!!!!! And dangerous as all hell to boot !!!!!! I have flown in and out of Swampy-poom 3 times in the last 30 days and each and every time my flight was delayed going out and did what I've come to call the Swampy-poom corkscrew, circleing down around 16,000 feet waiting for a spot to land on the return flight.....oh wait, I must be terribly mistaken as Squareface' Proxy Burberry Girl assured us all that having a runway closed for repairs would cause no delays or any other problem at all.....she had it handled..right????

Edited by metisdead
:Profanity

There can be few if any International Airports with a golf course between runways.

post-9891-0-20576400-1343641705_thumb.jp

"DMK tower calling TG 142, over"

"This is TG142 over"

"TG 142, please hold your present position, while the last foursome plays through the 18th hole over"

"Roger to that DMK tower"

or words to that effect, not being an aviation expert.

• Like 1

The Transport Ministry is finding ways to solve the anticipated overcrowding problem at Suvarnabhumi Airport, citing the airport will be overloaded in four years.

Its **snipping** congested now!!!!! And dangerous as all hell to boot !!!!!! I have flown in and out of Swampy-poom 3 times in the last 30 days and each and every time my flight was delayed going out and did what I've come to call the Swampy-poom corkscrew, circleing down around 16,000 feet waiting for a spot to land on the return flight.....oh wait, I must be terribly mistaken as Squareface' Proxy Burberry Girl assured us all that having a runway closed for repairs would cause no delays or any other problem at all.....she had it handled..right????

In four years, maybe much of the traffic will be headed for Yangon? No, not possible.

Sounds like another bearuricrat just woke up from a long winters nap (overslept also). They may want to consider a foreign effeciency evulation of the entire facility and get some useful imput. They might be surprised at what could be done with what they have, under qualified management, who had authority to sort out the various problems which have been apparent from the opening of this "tabernackle to waste/corruption"

Foreign efficiency? Now that's funny. I came through BKK airport last weekend and waited last than 5 mins at immigration. The wait at JFK is usually 30-60 mins. In KL I had to queue up for over 2 hours at immigration leaving the country and nearly missed my flight. UK also sometimes have long queues. This isn't a Thai problem but a worldwide airport problem.

You're kidding, right!?

They're not kidding. Sometimes you get held up while a plane moves through on the taxi way.

Yes, very inconvenient when you have a lunch booking at the officer's mess.

There can be few if any International Airports with a golf course between runways.

post-9891-0-20576400-1343641705_thumb.jp

"DMK tower calling TG 142, over"

"This is TG142 over"

"TG 142, please hold your present position, while the last foursome plays through the 18th hole over"

"Roger to that DMK tower"

or words to that effect, not being an aviation expert.

Do they shout "FORE!" over the air traffic control radio?

• Like 2

The inefficiancy and lack of foresight that exists on such a regular basis here is beyond words. On top of all this is unwillingness to just admit that nobody has a clue on how to do things correctly and ask for assistance.....

And the laugher?...is that these same individuals actually think that we all believe in their B.S.

• Like 1

Does that mean they aren't going to visit again for 4 years? HINT: It's ALREADY overcrowded.

And why do they let the lines for FOREIGN PASSPORTS get to be over 30 minutes long while immigration agents sit at the THAI PASSPORT counters sit there and do nothing? Union rules?

The golf course was there when DM was the only BKK airport. I wonder if the response from the Air Force would be: 'we want to construct another golf course at Swampy'.

Well they could sure turn that one runway into a driving range at least....its sure not being used to land airplanes

Foreign efficiency? Now that's funny. I came through BKK airport last weekend and waited last than 5 mins at immigration. The wait at JFK is usually 30-60 mins. In KL I had to queue up for over 2 hours at immigration leaving the country and nearly missed my flight. UK also sometimes have long queues. This isn't a Thai problem but a worldwide airport problem.

Agree with you, did Houston 3 times last year, 2hr wait each time.

Came through Suvarnabhumi 3 weeks ago, first time since they'd put barriers up and the improvement was brilliant, through in 20 minutes.

I did notice that they had traffic light on the golf course that would hold up the golfers when a plane taxied through the centre of the golf course, and yes it has a taxiway through the centre of the course.

The issue apparently is the trees are now too tall and wide and need trimming, problem solved.

I also heard on the radio yesterday that swampy are dropping the departure taxes 95% if you use the late flights to arrive and depart, also there were other benefits such as cheaper airfares etc for late night arrivals and departures. Their reasoning was that most people wanted to arrive and depart during daylight hrs.

The only thing they did not mention was are they going to run the Skytrain and busses 24 hrs, would be a big help.

Last weekend the queue at Swampy was horrendous, about an hour, and the immigration counters running at a 40% capacity. What made it horrible was not even the waiting but the fact that the queue looked like one you find in an amusement park while waiting for a ride! What a farce!

I did notice that they had traffic light on the golf course that would hold up the golfers when a plane taxied through the centre of the golf course, and yes it has a taxiway through the centre of the course.

The issue apparently is the trees are now too tall and wide and need trimming, problem solved.

I also heard on the radio yesterday that swampy are dropping the departure taxes 95% if you use the late flights to arrive and depart, also there were other benefits such as cheaper airfares etc for late night arrivals and departures. Their reasoning was that most people wanted to arrive and depart during daylight hrs.

The only thing they did not mention was are they going to run the Skytrain and busses 24 hrs, would be a big help.

Just keeping the bloody immigration and air side services open 24 hours a day would be a start. I can't remember how many times I have sat in the dam_n starbucks when I could have been curled up in a chair in the lounge on the other side. Unfortunately, immigration closes at a certain time, so you have to sit outside the security area because unfortunately, immigration need their shut eye.

The golf course was there when DM was the only BKK airport. I wonder if the response from the Air Force would be: 'we want to construct another golf course at Swampy'.

Well they could sure turn that one runway into a driving range at least....its sure not being used to land airplanes

Trouble is with all those cracks and sinkholes it would be all rough and no fairway

Edited by waza

Most products sent by air are high-value products and income generators such as electronic and computer parts.

Not to mention hundreds of delayed shipments originally intended for sea-freight. :rolleyes: