Provincial Administration Database Crashes: Thailand

webfact

Provincial admin database crashes

The Nation

30187438-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Provincial Administration Department's household-registration database crashed yesterday

Disrupting many types of public services including the issuing of national identification cards and passports for several hours.

"Services at more than 1,000 district offices and sub-district offices have been affected," Supapong Krissanapan said yesterday in his capacity as chief of BMA's Administration and Registration Division. He said a software glitch may have caused the problem.

"The database has been up and running since 1pm," he said, adding that software used by the Provincial Administration Department was more than 10 years old.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-01

Just professionally interested. Anyone here who has details on the HW/SSW/ASW used in the Central Server environment, the network infrastructure and the Client stations in the District Offices?

Count

Just professionally interested. Anyone here who has details on the HW/SSW/ASW used in the Central Server environment, the network infrastructure and the Client stations in the District Offices?

Count on it that it's an all windows environment. Never seen anything else but windows stations in government offices. Always running XP on the client side. Given the 'more than 10 years old' remark, my best guess would be windows server from 2000 period.

HW side is mostly Dell for clients.

Edited by Schuimpge

Access '97 database running off a pirated version of Windows XP ? ;-)

Just joking, I have no clue... and would be interested to know either. I just hope they have good and tested backups, but I wouldn't bet my shirt on this!

Now is a bad time to have you ID card expire in this part of Thailand, I'd say.

nope to all of the above for the backend. it actually dates from the early 1990s & won an award from the smithsonian institute for heroic data use. it was really cutting edge when it was first built.

it *used* to run on some big unix boxes & i think ran on basis db s/w (its been quite a while). we tried in vain for several years to directly connect to it from some municipal offices to verify information for tax deadbeats/cheaters but that dept never let go (their data "silo" was more like a medieval castle).

thailand has had some very big & useful databases for more than 20 years now, for instance the national rural database 2 (NRD2C) was a village level db that had everything from population to livestock to basic health data & it was relatively easily available. once that data was married tro village locations you had a really powerful tool for analyzing rural thailand.

thailand's IT sector, even in the government, is really not as bad as some folks seems to think.

Edited by coldfusionPaul
  • Like 1

nope to all of the above for the backend. it actually dates from the early 1990s & won an award from the smithsonian institute for heroic data use. it was really cutting edge when it was first built.

it *used* to run on some big unix boxes & i think ran on basis db s/w (its been quite a while). we tried in vain for several years to directly connect to it from some municipal offices to verify information for tax deadbeats/cheaters but that dept never let go (their data "silo" was more like a medieval castle).

thailand has had some very big & useful databases for more than 20 years now, for instance the national rural database 2 (NRD2C) was a village level db that had everything from population to livestock to basic health data & it was relatively easily available. once that data was married tro village locations you had a really powerful tool for analyzing rural thailand.

thailand's IT sector, even in the government, is really not as bad as some folks seems to think.

is the NRD2C useed today and if so, by whom and to what purpose and result? Is it being updated?

The usual batch of cynical, negative posts have been removed from view.

Thai visa is going to be a very short read if all cynical and negative posts are removed from view.

On topic, This just show's how Thailand uses the computer to add efficiency. (NOT). Software that is 10 years old? not being cynical or negative, but software for everything has come along way since 2002.

A few hours crash because of 10 years-old systems? I can stand it...

20-year old systems with old software crash less than newer quad-core things on XP/7... There is no expiration date on software (it doesn't dissolve in silicium), a bit more on hardware, especially with moving parts (hard drives etc.), where maintenance is appropriate.

So basically here I understand "we want new IT things, ours are old...". I guess some people would like flat screens and a bit more fancy interface (not to mention the procurement habits usually assumed here biggrin.png )

But for once I see proper management in the fact to keep a system which works for years, fitting the purpose (apparently no new requirement since 2002), so what's the issue? I doesn't look as bad as people may think, as coldfusionPaul was stating.

Edited by GaiUan

Thai visa is going to be a very short read if all cynical and negative posts are removed from view.

On topic, This just show's how Thailand uses the computer to add efficiency. (NOT). Software that is 10 years old? not being cynical or negative, but software for everything has come along way since 2002.

The next time you go into Starbucks anywhere in the world you'll find that their tills run on Windows NT4.

is that a lesser punishment than outright deletion?