D-Day Looms For Illegal Phuket Taxis, Jet-Skis

Lite Beer

D-Day looms for illegal Phuket taxis, jet-skis

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16577BUNJaKMNWJSwjtFXCTORYywHxH.jpg

Officers question an illegal taxi driver as he enters Phuket Airport during a crackdown. Photo: Gazette file

phuket-4-16577nlmUwkXbxgAJbeIhNMEduZGZMP.jpg

Anusorn Saree, who operates several illegal taxis, estimated there were currently about 10,000 illegal taxi drivers in Phuket. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: The Phuket Governor will sign an order giving illegal taxi operators 15 days to register their vehicles, officials were told yesterday.

The news came at a meeting headed by Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, who said the order will be signed into effect ahead of a report being submitted to Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung.

The deadline for filing the report, which is to explain what action Phuket officials are taking to resolve problems involving illegal taxis and jet-ski rental operators, is September 1.

The chiefs of Phuket’s three District Offices have until next week to report to V/Gov Chamroen on the number of taxi ranks and taxis – legal or not – operating within their respective areas.

“Once this information has been reported to me, the Governor will sign an order giving illegal taxi drivers 15 days to register their vehicles with the Phuket Land Transportation Office [PLTO],” V/Gov Chamroen explained.

An officer from the PLTO told the meeting that, according PLTO statistics, there were 111 taxi ranks and 1,221 registered taxis operating in Phuket.

However, Bang Tao Jet Ski Club President Anusorn Saree, who incidentally also operates several “black taxis” (ordinary vehicles illegally used as taxis), told the meeting that the actual number was closer to 10,000.

V/Gov Chamroen yesterday also ordered the PLTO to work with Phuket’s three District Chiefs and relevant local organizations in designing signs that will posted at all taxi ranks on the island showing the standard fares to be charged by all taxis.

“The signs showing the standard fares must be completed before the end of August,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

He added that all taxi drivers should be dressed in “polite” attire.

“The PLTO will set up three committees – one for each district: Thalang, Phuket City and Kathu – to follow up on progress in their areas,” V/Gov Chamroen said.

The move to tackle illegal taxis and jet-ski scams stems from pressure from as high up as the Prime Minister’s Office, V/Gov Chamroen said.

“Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the Minister of Interior, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the deputy national security minister are now all directly involved in resolving taxi and jet-ski problems in Phuket because the government has received many complaints. For example, the British ambassador recently met the prime minister to discuss the problems with taxis in Phuket,” he explained.

The government is considering some measures to relieve the tensions and to support taxi drivers trying to make a living, V/Gov Chamroen added.

“The government plans to issue LPG and gasoline coupons to taxi drivers. Officials are now in the process of collecting information and the project is coming soon,” he said.

He added that the PLTO has set up a Thai-language hotline at Tel: 1584 to receive complaints about taxis in Phuket.

“The hotline will be announced to the public through local media, on the radio and television channels and in newspapers,” the vice-governor explained.

Regarding jet-skis in Phuket, Phuripat Theerakulpisut, chief of Phuket-based Marine Office 5, declared at the meeting that all rental jet-skis in Phuket were now registered.

“We now have 286 rental jet-skis registered in Phuket. All of them now have first-class insurance and each jet-ski has a sticker showing a number that identifies who owns the jet-ski,” Mr Phuripat said.

Mr Phuripat explained that the “perfect result” was accomplished by working with local organizations and relevant offices. “And by holding ongoing discussions with people about how to solve the problems,” he said.

“We also contacted all Marine Offices in different parts of the country and asked them to not approve any transfer of jet-skis to Phuket,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16577.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-08-02

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has a single complaint been made that a taxi was illegal or that a jet ski wasn't registered ?

Why do they keep deflecting away from the real issue ? (Rhetorical)

The reason they keep deflecting (and quite skilfully too) from the real issue is because the powers who really deal with these issues on a local level receive income from the jet-ski/taxi Mafia. In return for this income, the jet-ski.taxi Mafia are allowed to continue to operate. In return, the local bosses pay the regional bosses and the regional bosses pay the national bosses. This is the standard economic and political model for Thailand and most other 2nd world countries. We call it corruption (which of course it is), they call it economics. Either way, it ain't going to change any time soon.

As an earlier poster quite rightly pointed out, the only way (and I mean this quite literally) for Johny Farang to have any impact on this system without resorting to a campaign of jet-ski/taxi Mafia assignations, is to boycott the use of these 'services' without any exception.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You obviously don't live in Phuket. The one thing you are right about is that nothing will probably change anytime soon. Although we are somewhat hopeful that the Land Transportation Office is trying to take on the illegal "black plate" taxis. Jet skis were declared illegal many years ago, but now have been "grandfathered" in with the "insurance scheme." It seems as though the government is taking the same approach with the illegal taxis as with the jet skis. If you register now, we'll make you legal. Of course there is no talk of ridding the island of the tuk tuk "associations" and their local bosses, including the son of the mayor of Patong, who is up for yet another re-election this month...

• Like 2

Has a single complaint been made that a taxi was illegal or that a jet ski wasn't registered ?

The reason they keep deflecting (and quite skilfully too) from the real issue is because the powers who really deal with these issues on a local level receive income from the jet-ski/taxi Mafia. In return for this income, the jet-ski.taxi Mafia are allowed to continue to operate. In return, the local bosses pay the regional bosses and the regional bosses pay the national bosses. This is the standard economic and political model for Thailand and most other 2nd world countries. We call it corruption (which of course it is), they call it economics. Either way, it ain't going to change any time soon.

As an earlier poster quite rightly pointed out, the only way (and I mean this quite literally) for Johny Farang to have any impact on this system without resorting to a campaign of jet-ski/taxi Mafia assignations, is to boycott the use of these 'services' without any exception.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have a clue as to what you are talking about. You obviously don't live in Phuket. The one thing you are right about is that nothing will probably change anytime soon. Although we are somewhat hopeful that the Land Transportation Office is trying to take on the illegal "black plate" taxis. Jet skis were declared illegal many years ago, but now have been "grandfathered" in with the "insurance scheme." It seems as though the government is taking the same approach with the illegal taxis as with the jet skis. If you register now, we'll make you legal. Of course there is no talk of ridding the island of the tuk tuk "associations" and their local bosses, including the son of the mayor of Patong, who is up for yet another re-election this month...

Why do you think I don't have a clue what I'm talking about? Are you trying to say that you disagree with me on the grounds that the jet-skis/taxis/tuktuk etc (yawn) etc scams are allowed to continue because they are paying local bosses for the privilege? If you don't think this goes on in Phuket or any other tourist hotspot in LOS then you are sadly deluded. And you're right, I don;t live in Phuket (thank god), but I then again I didn't realise that this was a necessary qualification for posters on this thread. Oh wait a minute, it isn't. Nothing more annoying than a simpering apologist You'll be telling me to go home next.

Can you read? Apparently not? I'm not going to repeat myself.

I think it's you who cannot read. I asked you very clearly to explain exactly why you don't think I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. READ MY REPLY AND FIND ONE STATEMENT YOU DON'T BELIEVE TO BE TRUE.

• Like 1

Jet skis were declared illegal many years ago,

Are you sure about that?? The issuing of new licenses was suspended several years ago but I believe the jetskis that already had a license remained legal and still are to this day. Are you saying that all jetskis operating in Phuket are illegal??

I think it's you who cannot read. I asked you very clearly to explain exactly why you don't think I have a clue as to what I'm talking about. READ MY REPLY AND FIND ONE STATEMENT YOU DON'T BELIEVE TO BE TRUE.

I'm also confused. Jimi007 disagreed with your post but then went on to talk about something completely different and hasn't clarified his comments since. He seems to be on a complete tangent!

I disagree with your use of the word corruption. For corruption to be corruption payments need to be made outside of the law. If the payments made fall inside the boundaries of the laws of the country in question, then it can't possibly be corruption. When "we call it corruption" as you said we did, we are wrong. It is only corruption if applied to the systems we are used to in the West, but that doesn't make it corruption in the country of implementation.

Are you sure about that?? The issuing of new licenses was suspended several years ago but I believe the jetskis that already had a license remained legal and still are to this day. Are you saying that all jetskis operating in Phuket are illegal??

I remember when they were declared illegal here. It was not enforced by the Marine Division. Instead they came up with the "insurance scheme" which according to the article:

“We now have 286 rental jet-skis registered in Phuket. All of them now have first-class insurance and each jet-ski has a sticker showing a number that identifies who owns the jet-ski,” Mr Phuripat said.

Mr Phuripat explained that the “perfect result” was accomplished by working with local organizations and relevant offices. “And by holding ongoing discussions with people about how to solve the problems,” he said.

Which is pretty much BS... The same problems still exists... But feel free to research it if you wish.

• Like 1

Sorry but shouting at me won't help... I've tried to tell you there are many problems here. You want to paint it all with a broad brush into one...

I remember when they were declared illegal here. It was not enforced by the Marine Division. Instead they came up with the "insurance scheme" which according to the article:

Which is pretty much BS... The same problems still exists... But feel free to research it if you wish.

They were never declared illegal, they were declared to become illegakl. When that time came the decision was never made.

The point is that making the jet-ski owners register them is totally irrelevant when it comes to quashing the roaring trade in fake jet-ski repairs funded by scammed tourists. Pretty much all motorbikes for rent are registered, does this stop the rental businesses from withholding passports (which is illegal, as the foreigner in Thailand is supposed to carry their passport on them at all times - impossible if the passport is being held to random by a third party) and demanding huge repair fees for minor scratches and dented baskets? Pretty much exactly the same business.

All these measures of taxi/jet-ski registration are just token gesture and deflect from the root of the problem, which is extortion. theft and scamming over bogus damage claims to the rented item, the business of which is protected by police and local 'people of influence'.

• Like 2

<snip>does this stop the rental businesses from withholding passports (which is illegal, as the foreigner in Thailand is supposed to carry their passport on them at all times <snip>)

Not true, the passport has to be produced in a reasonable time. That means e.g. for tourists that keeping the passport in the hotel locker is perfectly acceptable.

<snip> demanding huge repair fees for minor scratches and dented baskets? <snip>

Sure this happens, but hardly ever, at least not on Phuket. The islands in the Gulf of Thailand are much more a riskfactor for this.

<snip>does this stop the rental businesses from withholding passports (which is illegal, as the foreigner in Thailand is supposed to carry their passport on them at all times <snip>)

Not true, the passport has to be produced in a reasonable time. That means e.g. for tourists that keeping the passport in the hotel locker is perfectly acceptable.

<snip> demanding huge repair fees for minor scratches and dented baskets? <snip>

Sure this happens, but hardly ever, at least not on Phuket. The islands in the Gulf of Thailand are much more a riskfactor for this.

fair enough, I stand corrected. Samui does as you say have a dreadful reputation for scooter scams, as does it's shady sister KPG.

Who cares if a jet-Ski is registered or not? - They are still going to make russian and foreign tourists pay ridiculous amounts of money for a small scratch on a jet-ski (and bring their mafia friends and threaten to double it if the frightened tourist wants to call the police).

and what is the point of giving the non-registered taxis 15 days to register? how will this solve any problems? all you will get is 8,000 more registered taxi's but you will not get any 'real' taxi fares. it will always continue to operate at "off the meter" fares and ignoring the government taxi meter.

also: whats the point of setting up a hotline (for illegal taxis) in THAI LANGUAGE!!! surely the foreigners are the ones who get ripped-off far more 9and who use the phuket taxis much more than the locals. what does a tourist do when the driver rips them off?

• Like 2

ah in most countries, you need a special licence to be able to play with your jetski, same as you would need for a motorcycle

so if you want to get ripp-off by the local maffia, go rent your jetski and soon to be stolen motorcycle, and please do give your passport and credit card in advance to the crooks, to enable an easy transaction

• Like 1

Really Jim007? That's a rather arrogant reply. On so many levels. But anyway, I'm with Skorz on this one. Living in Phuket doesn't deem you the authority on these countrywide transportation issues. I live in Chiang Mai, have visited Phuket, and see the same type of thing here. Only Phuket is famous because the amounts are so large for such short trips. 10 baht in Pattaya on the monkeybus will cost you some ridiculous amount in Phuket on a TukTuk for the same distance. I can get to places in town from the airport in BKK for around 200-300 baht, but that same trip in Phuket is well over 600 baht, correct? How about taxi meters from the airport and simple priced red cars in the tourist areas? To me, what's going on in Phuket is like stores selling marked up batteries and water after a hurricane. Shameful scamming. Or hell, how about a national rate for the various modes of travel?

• Like 2

First of all, I must correct you, the vaste majority of renters in Phuket ask for passport as a collateral, charge a minimum of 5000 THB for new scratches to the rented motorbike.

I just saw the case in live yesterday again...

I have to say that renting shops operated by Foreigners seems to behave much better now: they take to client to Honda, get repair quotations and get the client that scratched the bike to pay the bill: at least they get a receipt that way :)...

Concerning the Jet-ski I would tend to agree with tha below statement...

Who cares if a jet-Ski is registered or not? - They are still going to make Russian and foreign tourists pay ridiculous amounts of money for a small scratch on a jet-ski (and bring their mafia friends and threaten to double it if the frightened tourist wants to call the police).

Jet-ski renting operator having ALL registered their jet-ski in Patong? Still hard to believe and even registered, this will not solve anything if police continue to back-up operator and continue "helping the cash negotiation"....

The taxi licensing and price board seems like a very very good idea in itself, now i am waiting to see if that actually is going to be enforced properly or if it is only a decree to keep good face toward government office asking for new policies that might NOT be enforced after they are drawn-up...

Would love to see this in place but I will not hold my breath on this one :)

First of all, I must correct you, the vaste majority of renters in Phuket ask for passport as a collateral, charge a minimum of 5000 THB for new scratches to the rented motorbike.

I just saw the case in live yesterday again...

I have to say that renting shops operated by Foreigners seems to behave much better now: they take to client to Honda, get repair quotations and get the client that scratched the bike to pay the bill: at least they get a receipt that way smile.png...

I must correct you, that is not a correction at all to anything I wrote.

Yes exactly and they seem to not worry about the regular rip offs that are occurring esp with the Jetski's.....

Really Jim007? That's a rather arrogant reply. On so many levels. But anyway, I'm with Skorz on this one. Living in Phuket doesn't deem you the authority on these countrywide transportation issues. I live in Chiang Mai, have visited Phuket, and see the same type of thing here. Only Phuket is famous because the amounts are so large for such short trips. 10 baht in Pattaya on the monkeybus will cost you some ridiculous amount in Phuket on a TukTuk for the same distance. I can get to places in town from the airport in BKK for around 200-300 baht, but that same trip in Phuket is well over 600 baht, correct? How about taxi meters from the airport and simple priced red cars in the tourist areas? To me, what's going on in Phuket is like stores selling marked up batteries and water after a hurricane. Shameful scamming. Or hell, how about a national rate for the various modes of travel?

Sorry, but what does any of this have to do with the article? Phuket has some major issues that the Central Government wants to address because it is getting them a lot of bad press. But as usual they will not really do anything but legitimize their "schemes." There is nothing in this article about the legal tuk tuks or the sanctioned airport "limousines." There is no mention of any alternative, like metered taxis throughout the island (although there are a few at the airport) or of public transit. But at least they are talking about doing something about the taxi shacks that are popping up in every neighborhood....

I often know how far and where I want to go when in Pattaya or Phuket but have no idea what the flagfall is or how much it should be per kilometre.

If these figure were published it would go long way to establishing the real price for a trip and then you could give tip if you are treated fairly.

In Vietnam some companies are known to be honest and use their meters - so you have no qualms using their taxis.

Malaysia and Thailand - don't bother - use a bus at least you pay a fair price!

Edited by Bunter

I often know how far and where I want to go when in Pattaya or Phuket but have no idea what th flagfall is or how much it should be per kilometre.

If these figure were published it would go long way to establishing the real price for a trip and then you could give ti if you are treated fairly.

In Vietnam some companies are known to be honest and use their meters - so you have no qualms using their taxis.

Malaysia and Thailand - don't bother - use a bus at least you pay a fair price!

We wish there was a real bus system throughout Phuket but there isn't. The last guys that tried were beaten and no one has applied since for the concession from the local Land Transportation Office.

I'm also confused. Jimi007 disagreed with your post but then went on to talk about something completely different and hasn't clarified his comments since. He seems to be on a complete tangent!

I disagree with your use of the word corruption. For corruption to be corruption payments need to be made outside of the law. If the payments made fall inside the boundaries of the laws of the country in question, then it can't possibly be corruption. When "we call it corruption" as you said we did, we are wrong. It is only corruption if applied to the systems we are used to in the West, but that doesn't make it corruption in the country of implementation.

@nernernenerenr....pretty sure local governance accepting backhanders to turn a blind eye to daylight robbery falls outside of the law even in Thailand. Most certainly is corruption.