Shops And Clubs Flout Buddhist Lent: Alcohol Sales Ban

webfact

My take on all these bans wherever in the world they may be is simply that I think it is OK to say that on this or that day, people of a particular religion should not do particular things, but what the hell does it have to do with the rest of us?

If one has a belief that drinking alcohol is the devils work (or for whatever other reason), thats great...you are welcome to have that belief, but it is wrong to then force that belief on others...

........but of course the PC brigade would be horrified that we did not respect others beliefs by following what they demand....

Although I agree I dont like having others beliefs shoved down my throat, really, what is the big deal!! We live in a Buddhist country and these are the laws. We are all aware of them and the dates these holidays fall on. There is no excuse to flout the laws. Just stock up in advance and have a bar b cue or something along those lines. Even better give your liver a break for a couple of days! Is it REALLY that hard or that big of a deal? If it really is such a problem for some people then those people really should be looking at alcoholics anonymous burp.gif Personally my liver is again fully functional after a few days off and I will be out celebrating tonight. As I said....... no big deal!crazy.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shocked at all these postings! If I didn't know any better I would think that the LOS is the Hub of Hypocricywhistling.gif .

...isy, shaken not stirred...

I C your point. Waiting for the wooden ruler across the knuckles for that misspelling. Had a very tough 4th grade teacher.

Bond 007 would not be amused... wink.png

Hope they catch all and fine them dearly to let these clubs and places ignorihng the ban during a Buddhist Holiday and the law what will happen if they break the law. That's the problem with rule of law in Thailand. Everyone, man many Foreigners alike, ignore the laws here like they don't exhist.

I just bought it from my local mom and pop shop. No one could give a monkeys.

It's the law? Excuse people if they don't have much respect for the law when people get away with killing police in front of several witnesses, or police officers are to be executed and the following day they are bailed because they are not seen to be a flight risk.

If the rich and powerful can flout absolutely serious crimes, then why can't the poor buy a beer on a so called religious holiday? Oh, yea. It's the law.

Set examples and then respect might be earned. Until then, stop trying to have your cake and eat it.

Right on ! thumbsup.gif

Does anybody else wonder whether the alcohol ban on religious days comes under the heading of religious fanaticism? If so where does that leave the Muslin hotheads?

TIT so this ban must profit somebody in authority in some way, apart from the police of course.

what about the group of policemen drinking around the table in the small 'late night' eating place?

- you find this all over Thailand!

from what I have seen, so many local 7-11's sell alcohol (despite ban or out of legal hours). they take the money and register the sale the next day.

mum and pop small shops ALWAYS sell alcohol, (no matter what).. any time, any holiday.

Actually, its the BIG clubs that usually close on these holidays as they are more of a target and have to abide to the law (despite having police backing) even the police backing is not enough to get them 'off the hook'.

In my local shop I said that she should let me have them for free as she's not allowed to sell it and I didn't want her to get into trouble. She just laughed and said the police just left a few minutes earlier with their beers.

Thais, including the police, have some common sense when unpopular laws are passed. Not very strictly enforced, if at all. In the west the authorities just follow the rule book without using any logic in many cases. That's why we love this country!

My take on all these bans wherever in the world they may be is simply that I think it is OK to say that on this or that day, people of a particular religion should not do particular things, but what the hell does it have to do with the rest of us?

If one has a belief that drinking alcohol is the devils work (or for whatever other reason), thats great...you are welcome to have that belief, but it is wrong to then force that belief on others...

........but of course the PC brigade would be horrified that we did not respect others beliefs by following what they demand....

follow the laws of the land or leave, that's what i tell immigrants to my country
  • Like 1

Why bust the little mum and pop stores, they aren't exactly selling truckloads and what they do sell hardly provides enoungh income to feed the family for a day.

Because it is the law?

Because alcoholics have rights, too?

Or something else?

What's the right answer? :)

I do not know. Maybe because it is against the law? Why do they have to break that law? To make an extra 100 baht or so? Do they really need those extra sales? I say lock them up. But the reality is that it will NEVER make it to trial if the family has enough cash to pay off the collection agency (police).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

what about the group of policemen drinking around the table in the small 'late night' eating place?

from what I have seen, so many local 7-11's sell alcohol (despite ban or out of legal hours). they take the money and register the sale the next day.

mum and pop small shops ALWAYS sell alcohol, (no matter what).. any time, any holiday.

Actually, its the BIG clubs that usually close on these holidays as they are more of a target and have to abide to the law (despite having police backing) even the police backing is not enough to get them 'off the hook'.

If they didn't BUY the alcohol during the holiday, then they haven't broken the law.

You too can be gifted alcohol.

Or you can bring it with you.

You can buy it the day before.

None of these are new laws.

Are those of you complaining about these laws so continuously drunk that you can't plan 24 hours in advance??

Afaik, it was sale not consumption that was declared illegal. By inference, consumption might be discouraged, but not illegal. As usual, most people stock up in advance for a couple of days, rather than encourage others to break the law by trying to buy. That way, they can respect Thai customs and the law, and still enjoy their favored tipple.

I still can go to my favorite restaurant, have my bottle of Jameson on the table and drink. The restaurant may not sell, but customers can drink whatever they want. Kindergarten Thailand. Actually the only reason I stay here is the climate, and it is a little cheaper than St. Barts.

This is just a simple demonstration of how religion works.

Religion is merely a tool used to control people.

Those in power like to flex their muscles once in a while and impose their will on the people, therefore use the tool of religion.

The problem here is that Thais are notorious scofflaws therefore it become more of a chance for the powers to cash in rather than clampdown.

During the ban I went to two mom and pop shops in Buriram, One roadside Kai Yang place in Ubon Ratchathani, One Mekong Riverside place in Khong Chiam and another Mon Riverside place in Ubon and not once was I refused a beer. I kinda like that Thai people just carry on doing what they want despite what some hi-so face saving politicians decide the rest of society should do. Its a same that some will get singled out of the multitudes for the violation.

Every time one on these special occasions come along, and banned alcohol sales throughout the Kingdom, why does anybody think this law will be treated any different than any other law in LOS.

Just curious, it seems some posters actually believe this the case, only on these special days.

Why bust the little mum and pop stores, they aren't exactly selling truckloads and what they do sell hardly provides enoungh income to feed the family for a day.

Because it is the law?

Or something else?

What's the right answer? smile.png

I do not know. Maybe because it is against the law? Why do they have to break that law? To make an extra 100 baht or so? Do they really need those extra sales? I say lock them up. But the reality is that it will NEVER make it to trial if the family has enough cash to pay off the collection agency (police)

Well, while 100B may not be much to you, to some - namely the people who depend on selling ale for their daily rice - 100B is a good amount of money.

Many of these smaller shops live literally hand to mouth and the 100B loss you speak of would be a severe burden to many of these small establishments.

If it upsets you to the extent you think they should go to jail, how about you, or the powers that be, reimburse them the 100B loss and they they could close for the day and everyone would be happy...?

Edited by HeavyDrinker

Whether the law is flouted or not, nothing here will change. Religion, power crazy law makers, Police gain,---some of the winners.

The foreigners here know what the score is, and know how to stock up unless they think they can shout and change anything--NEVER.

THE LOSERS are unsuspecting tourists (short term or not, they do NOT have religious Thai calenders handed to them before travel. Right or wrong my idea is certain Big tourist venues in certain cases should be wavered.

The other losers small scale are the Thais themselves through mar the enjoyment of the holiday spirit of many---many times a year---TAT note.

Other losers are the bars/shops/clubs/GOVERNMENT tax--ie lost earnings.

Because it is the law?

Or something else?

What's the right answer? smile.png

I do not know. Maybe because it is against the law? Why do they have to break that law? To make an extra 100 baht or so? Do they really need those extra sales? I say lock them up. But the reality is that it will NEVER make it to trial if the family has enough cash to pay off the collection agency (police)

Well, while 100B may not be much to you, to some - namely the people who depend on selling ale for their daily rice - 100B is a good amount of money.

Many of these smaller shops live literally hand to mouth and the 100B loss you speak of would be a severe burden to many of these small establishments.

If it upsets you to the extent you think they should go to jail, how about you, or the powers that be, reimburse them the 100B loss and they they could close for the day and everyone would be happy...?

I doubt that many habitual drinkers would suffer deprivation during the period. You could help out by buying your beer or whatever a day or 2 in advance, and then they could take a couple of days off, obey the law, and you could feel all warm and fuzzy about the whole thing. :)

The debate on what effect these closures have on tourism I think is now becoming clearer.

For years, especially in the time after the Purachai campaign, the moral high grounders came out with nonsense like "tourists only come here for Culture and Temples" etc, and indeed still they came...for a while...

In the past 5 years or so though people have started to get fed up and are now heading elsewhere.

Whether having laws which don't effect them forced on them is the main reason is open to debate, however I certainly feel it is a catalyst (along with the poor FE rates, rising prices etc)

Now numbers really are slipping is it time for the powers to begin to address such issues such as "exclusion zones"?

I doubt that many habitual drinkers would suffer deprivation during the period. You could help out by buying your beer or whatever a day or 2 in advance, and then they could take a couple of days off, obey the law, and you could feel all warm and fuzzy about the whole thing.

Indeed. I always have a well stocked fridge, cocktail cabinet and cellar.

However as many of the "mom and pop" store customers also tend to live on a hand to mouth basis, buying in advance isn't always an option for them either.

Now, instead of trying to force your values on people, may I suggest you head out and find out how some of them have to live...smile.png

A totally ridiculous law that attempts to thrust some people's morality down everyone else"s throats. The only people who benefited from this charade were those upstanding defenders of the law and morality, the Royal Thai Police. Plenty of tea money for looking the other way, and big, big profits from all the clubs and whore-houses run by the police where the law could safely be ignored.

Hmmmm. The title of my next book: 'How to Profit and Prosper in an Anarchic Country'

Agreed, but this year in the area I live Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Phatum Thani have been unusually tight in selling alcohol during the ban. Anyway I could get what I wanted, but I could see the fear in the sellers eyes. The law is getting tougher by every year towards alcohol.

The debate on what effect these closures have on tourism I think is now becoming clearer.

For years, especially in the time after the Purachai campaign, the moral high grounders came out with nonsense like "tourists only come here for Culture and Temples" etc, and indeed still they came...for a while...

In the past 5 years or so though people have started to get fed up and are now heading elsewhere.

Whether having laws which don't effect them forced on them is the main reason is open to debate, however I certainly feel it is a catalyst (along with the poor FE rates, rising prices etc)

Now numbers really are slipping is it time for the powers to begin to address such issues such as "exclusion zones"?

I have no idea where in Thailand you are but according to immigration statistics (I know, you don't believe anything the Thai govt says), tourism is up. Based on my personal observation (also worthless to you), I would agree.

Do you really think tourists will really stop coming to Thailand because there are 10 or so days scattered throughout the year when they can't buy a beer? Not everyone is a "heavy drinker".

• Like 2

Do you really think tourists will really stop coming to Thailand because there are 10 or so days scattered throughout the year when they can't buy a beer? Not everyone is a "heavy drinker".

Indeed not everyone is a "heavy drinker" yet some people just like to be unmolested by having religion and politics thrust upon them thus affecting their hard earned holiday.

I recently visited both Manila and Angeles in The Philippines and Phnom Penh in Cambodia to visit friends who used to come to Thailand.

Both places were (according to locals) booming. When I asked why, the above sentiment - that they were just fed up with having all the <deleted> forced on them (including early closings) - was pretty much the universal reply I got.

If you think this isn't affecting tourism then have a chat with some long standing people in the tourism industry...

This is just some politicians trying to get their name and picture in the publics eye. In the 5th Buddhist precept, it asks people not to drink or take illicit drugs. Of course the other 4 asks not to kill, lie, steal or commit adultery.

If they really want to make Ansalha Bucha day a Buddhist holiday, how about adding on all 5. Just saying.. wai.gif

• Like 1

Well the bottom line to find the "TRUTH" is why not ban consumption if it really is a spiritual matter?

It's not.

The government are abusing the religion as they abuse......well go figure...

The dicks who shout that "It's their country so we should do what they say", in spite of the fact that most Thais carry on regardless, really show their ignorance about Thailand in these matters...

Edited by HeavyDrinker
  • Like 1

Afaik, it was sale not consumption that was declared illegal. By inference, consumption might be discouraged, but not illegal. As usual, most people stock up in advance for a couple of days, rather than encourage others to break the law by trying to buy. That way, they can respect Thai customs and the law, and still enjoy their favored tipple.

I still can go to my favorite restaurant, have my bottle of Jameson on the table and drink. The restaurant may not sell, but customers can drink whatever they want. Kindergarten Thailand. Actually the only reason I stay here is the climate, and it is a little cheaper than St. Barts.

The bottom line, is that is probably the single biggest draw for most of us. It is getting more expensive, and I wonder when the tipping point may come. Those Thais that are charging 25 baht per kilo for watermelon, and 80-120 baht per kilo for oranges on Samui have absolutely no idea that they are potentially trashing the future of the tourism industry. When this place is no longer affordable, we will go elsewhere. Where, I do not know, but somewhere else. But, St. Barts? What are we talking about, $8 coffee? $30 lunches? What about travel? Can you find a $30 per night hotel in the region? Doubt it.