The Buddha Himself Warned Not To Accept Anything Unless Tested By Yourself!

rockyysdt

Kalama Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya III.65

Do not accept anything by mere tradition ... Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures ... Do not accept anything merely because it agrees with your pre-conceived notions ... But when you know for yourselves—these things are moral, these things are blameless, these things are praised by the wise, these things, when performed and undertaken, conduce to well-being and happiness—then do you live acting accordingly.

The Buddha made it clear, warning that even his own teachings should be tested before being accepted as fact.

Did he also mean the translations of his teachings as well as their implementation?

In these modern times many have succumbed to laziness, all too often being spoon fed the answers we look for.

Laced with the promise of ego inflating rewards, we all too often grasp onto beliefs which offer us what we want to hear.

Have we slipped into a society which demand instant answers and instant gratification?

Is any text greater than a paragraph or two, far too much for us to take in?

Isn't that which offers great change in our lives worthy of verification through personal investigation or do we accept what is offered/regurgetated on a plate?

Do our beliefs, through years of conditioning, imprison us with invisible bars?

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Do not forget that the Kalama Sutta was aimed at people who were confused by many different teachers and their different teaching.... a guide on how to judge them.

It did not say we must disbelief everything until proven...as many modern Westerners seem to think. That just supports their own lack of belief or scepticism.

We can prove the veracity of the teachings...by doing the practice ourselves....and that is the only way.

• Like 1

I think so. In fact preconceived ideas are the greatest enemy of realisation. Most peoples effort goes into defending prior ideas rather than exploring the possibility they could be wrong. I met a monk who said this sutta did not apply to the Buddhas teaching itself, but I disagree. I'm sure he wanted us to challenge ourselves with practice to verify what anybody proposed, including himself. And that is one of the things that makes him great in my eyes.

• Like 1

Do not forget that the Kalama Sutta was aimed at people who were confused by many different teachers and their different teaching.... a guide on how to judge them.

It did not say we must disbelief everything until proven...as many modern Westerners seem to think. That just supports their own lack of belief or scepticism.

We can prove the veracity of the teachings...by doing the practice ourselves....and that is the only way.

Belief and faith are friviously mixed, one is an irrational and one is a rational term. Faith means confidence till the opposite is proven by your own experience.

• 2 weeks later...

On that note, if there's anyone in the US you can actually call his monastery - he's not your ordinary guy by any means, and I the respect I have for him is endless. As previously shown, he's a great writer and has many books to his name, which can be requested from his monastery as well. A great one is 'The Wings to Awakening'. Most of his writings can also be found on the access to insight website as well.

I spent a few months at another monastery in Samut Prakan which was the time one of his students was there as well. Ajahn Geoffrey's monks are incredible, and so is Ajahn Geoffrey's history in the monkhood.

Edited by hookedondhamma
  • Like 1

There’s also our cultural pride: We like to think that we can see more clearly than Asian Buddhist what’s of genuine value in their traditions and what’s simply cultural baggage—as if we didn’t have cultural baggage of our own. And how do we know what’s “just baggage”? A beat-up old suitcase might contain your jewelry and keys.

thumbsup.gif