To cut a long story short, me and the wife have been looking around to buy more land for argricultural purposes.

It seems here in Thailand that it is the norm that real estate sales go through land brokers that (in our experience) lie through their teeth about ownership of the land.

For example, we were looking at a block close to ours, we met the owner and after some enquiries found out he didn't own the land but was trying to middleman the sale.

Why do they lie? My wife tells me this is quite normal in Thailand and in fact is recognized in the courts!

Anyone know about this land brokerage system in Thailand?

Edited by Livinginexile

It gets even worse when a dozen or so agents are selling the same block and if it is a big expensive block, they all want a cut no matter what.

We have had same thing, not owners but saying they are. We simply will not deal with them and ask to speak with the owner direct and see titles and copies of id's, if not forthcoming we walk away, unless it is something we really want. Usually they will come to the party if they risk losing a possible genuine sale.

And even worse are the ones that ask you when you are selling, so they obviously do it with others, if you want 3 million baht, they will try to sell it for 3.5 or 4 even and try to keep the balance. The annoying thing with this is that a buyer might walk away from 4 if cannot afford or deems to expensive, or just not enquire any further at all, but they could afford 3.

Edited by TwoDogz
  • Like 1

It gets even worse when a dozen or so agents are selling the same block and if it is a big expensive block, they all want a cut no matter what.

We have had same thing, not owners but saying they are. We simply will not deal with them and ask to speak with the owner direct and see titles and copies of id's, if not forthcoming we walk away, unless it is something we really want. Usually they will come to the party if they risk losing a possible genuine sale.

And even worse are the ones that ask you when you are selling, so they obviously do it with others, if you want 3 million baht, they will try to sell it for 3.5 or 4 even and try to keep the balance. The annoying thing with this is that a buyer might walk away from 4 if cannot afford or deems to expensive, or just not enquire any further at all, but they could afford 3.

Yes....they just lie!

When we got closer to the sale the stories started to get bigger like "oh... actually the owner borrowed money from us so we hold the chanote"!

Bare faced lies! But luckily my wife is wiley to their ways.

Are there any laws regulating this type of behaviour?

Edited by Livinginexile