Airlines August Fair Hike.

tartempion

I was watching airfares Bangkok-Europe, more specifically to Brussels for an October return trip, preferably business.

Late July found a deal with Qatar around 80k, but bad timing, 8h connecting at Doha, 84k for a faster connection, but you have to play with the options offered on the screen and watch out.

I hold gold on Etihad and found a deal at 85K, thus the 84k Qatar not worth loosing the Etihad privileges( extra 15kgs, 50% cabin bonus etc), but again bad timing, leaving BKK at 02.50. For better flight times leaving at 20.30 same day the fare changes to 89K, yeah.

Thus I postponed buying a ticket, waiting for promotions as I did previous years.

Checking business class fares using Kayak yesterday both Qatar and Etihad are 10k more expensive: 95k to 105k, depending day week/departure hour.

Thus my preferred Etihad day/timing increased from 89k to 99K sick.gif

Same flight economy went up from 39K to 49K. Same for Qatar.

I checked many alternatives: to FRA, CDG, AMS both economy and business, cheapest being Aeroflot eco for 689 euro, bus 1789.

Aeroflot, EVA and China have the old business: no flat beds, no IFE. Thai has an almost business class promotion to BRU for 93K+tax.

So far I hesitate for the cheapest option Aeroflot at 26k baht and Etihad eco or business at 50k or 100k.

I just might wait early september to see what's available and if some company brings some deals.

Any way, watch out for fares, seems it is to late for a good deal now.

Oh, forgot I did find Oman Air business class at 89k to FRA or CDG, supposedly the best business class around, excellent deal for people living in Germany or France, I might consider them, but am put off by the travel to/from FRA/CDG

Was watching fares from around beginning of June to fly to Germany for my daughters wedding in December, prices were under 30,000 with aeroflot, then Airfrance had a sale and the prices were around 32000, in the end booked Aeroflot as noticed that the prices were increasing, cost me more than I wanted it to but:

BKK to DUS

return via CDG to BKK

with Aeroflot

I've been reading that prices are going up. Not a lot, but a bit. I've been under the opinion, right or wrong, that the sweet spot for buying fares is about 2 months before departure. And airlines usually do specials in mid to late september. But that's cutting it very close for you.

Wait too long, and prices could jump a bunch. I did that a few years ago with a trip to Japan. Prices went up a bunch. But some do get great deals last minute.

IMHO, if you find a deal, jump on it. You might find a better deal, but then again you might not.

Absolutely ridiculous the airfares these days... 2 months out - $1000 cattle class china-airlines BKK to LA with a layover...And still completely booked for the next two months...

Other airlines 2 weeks out, cheapest flight is $1300+ and rises rapidly from there...guess fares will continue to rise until people stop flying, which will be never....

Edited by happysanook

Did you check Thai? Finnair?

I get qatar around 31800 for economy but with dates from 01 to 15 Oct.

Yes indeed, but as I mentionned to BRU with a 8.40h stopover on the way back, 36K with 1.45 connection time, therefore you need to watch out not being stuck a half day at some bloody airport. And having gold with Etihad I rather would pay an other 4k on top for my privileges. Finnair eco with good timing comes at 32K, is high on my list then.

Thai 49k, haha

At least to the US flights are always astronomical in August - I flew home for my dad's birthday a few years ago and paid half again what I normally pay.

Most city-pairs/carriers have seasons: low, shoulder, high, peak. For the U.S., both as a destination/departure roughly Memorial Day through Labor Day are Peak season as demand, due to school summer vacation, approaches supply. So while an airline may have multiple economy fare buckets: Y/B/M/H/Q/V/W/S/K/L/T (from most expensive, least restrictive to least expensive, most restrictive), a low season W fare will always be less expensive than a peak season W fare.

Most airlines still utilize some form of similar seasonal/bucket inventory management although many carriers have opted for fewer buckets, but do re-open inventory via sales, and can adjust prices via fuel surcharges (YQ).

The main take-away: for those who can plan their travel it is best to become familiar with the city-pairs, carriers and seasonal pricing, assign a value which best represents what you are willing to pay, and be ready to purchase as soon as you can hit your price.

And then there were the "good ole days".....

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6l53f/whatflyingwaslikeinthe1960s/

Edited by lomatopo

Oh, forgot I did find Oman Air business class at 89k to FRA or CDG, supposedly the best business class around, excellent deal for people living in Germany or France, I might consider them, but am put off by the travel to/from FRA/CDG

I have the same logistics problem. My final destination is Eupen in Belgium. So have the choice BRU - FRA - AMS - CDG or DUS.

Since I need to rent a car in Belgium anyway there's not much difference between these airports as regards my final destination.

Although I prefer BRU as airport I now fly Oman simply because of the comfort of the business class experience with Oman Air.

Used to have gold on Etihad and Qatar also but am now gold Oman member. I hope they will keep their pricing for a long time, since I would hate to have to switch back to either Qatar or Etihad.

Baht 89.000 is worth every cent in my opinion.

BTW Emirates never again after 1 return flight.

Hope to have helped.

Yermaneewai.gif

Yermanee, I had a girlfriend from Eupen long time ago...

I understand you're 150kms from BRU, 80 to Dusseldorf and 250 to FRA, thus Oman business class is your preferred airline now.

For me It's a 15 minutes ride outside traffic hours to BRU, 20kms, Thus anything to/from BRU gets my preference.

I understand to get gold on Oman I need two returns BKK-CDG, and CDG is closer than FRA, but I hate the shuffle (and strikes) with the TGV.

Could not fault Etihad, flew them at least 10 returns, the last six business, don't like the AUH-BKK 777/300ER 3-4-3 economy seats though.

Just that I never paid 80k+ and the 89k from last week moved up to 99K sad.png

At this price level they might loose my business.

Choices so far:

Aeroflot cattle class 26k

Finnair cattle 36k

Etihad, Thai, cattle 49k: don't think I am tempted by these

Oman business to CDG 89K

Etihad business 99K

Some info re FRA and CDG for Oman Air :

FRA ; Oman uses terminal 2. so if you want to take the train you have to switch terminals.

CDG : Oman uses terminal 2a and it's an easy walk to the TGV station.

On the other hand a Lufthansa flight from FRA to BRU is somewhere around 118 € return.

Don't know what the TGV (or Thalys) to Brussels costs.

As said I always rent a car and FRA is better for me because cheaper rental cars than CDG, no highway tolls and better roads.

Anyway I don't want to impose Oman on you, just informing you why Oman is better for me.

BTW the Etihad FFP is a lot better than Oman's.

Cheers

Yermaneewai.gif

If I remember Etihad and Oman points can be used on either airline?

Is this true or not? If so then you could use Oman and still get points on Etihad.

The way I understand it their agreement is only for free tickets.

BTW Oman Air does not give upgrades for miles unless one has purchased a full "C" ticket. This has been confirmed to me.

On becoming GOLD member I received 2 free upgrade vouchers but cannot use them on "D" tickets.

The only advantage is free meet and greet (including breezing through security) at Muscat airport, and a bit more deference from on-board staff and reduced duty-free prices.

Anyway as said it's the comfort level in lounges and their business class seats that's paramount for me with my old bones.

cheers

yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Was watching fares from around beginning of June to fly to Germany for my daughters wedding in December, prices were under 30,000 with aeroflot, then Airfrance had a sale and the prices were around 32000, in the end booked Aeroflot as noticed that the prices were increasing, cost me more than I wanted it to but:

BKK to DUS

return via CDG to BKK

with Aeroflot

The Russians do not have one of the better air safety records. It really does not matter how much you saved, if you do not make it to your destination.

BKK to DUS

return via CDG to BKK

with Aeroflot

The Russians do not have one of the better air safety records. It really does not matter how much you saved, if you do not make it to your destination.

Funny but Aeroflot itself upgraded the airplanes and has not had any accidents since then with the new planes. Other Russian airlines have had.

Actually one in 2008 for Aeroflot 82 deaths, even Air France has had more accidents and deaths.

Edited by beano2274

At least to the US flights are always astronomical in August - I flew home for my dad's birthday a few years ago and paid half again what I normally pay.

End of June, economy class for my family of 3 from Expedia;

• Total: $16,677.90 (517,015 Baht)
  • All prices quoted in US dollars

We went last year for $848 each economy class, no huge layover. That $16K would drop if we were willing to spend 10 hours in the airport in Korea. Another airlines pulled the plug on our airport so our options are few unless we want to spend the time & money getting to a second layover stop.

We wont go even at $1,700 USD. We'll go to Hawaii and buy a condo with the savings.

Edited by ding

How can you accept to pay so much for a non direct flight ? I prefer to pay cheaper economy seat but direct flight !

China airlines to Amsterdam is cheaper and direct, but it's China airlines, not sure everybody can accept them also :-)

My son flew BRU-BKK on egyptair a few times until his plane did an aborted landing, scared the hell out of him, exit egyptair whistling.gif

Also think there is a 5 hours layover in one direction.

Last time and next he flies Thai around 750 euro ex BRU for coming november.

I finally booked Etihad business at 85.840 W booking class, not the 99K for my preferred day/timing, leaving BKK at 03.00am, I'll take the last flight out of Udon Thani and hang out somewhere around Swampy. Thus it pays to check different days of the week, different hours of day/night.

It would not surprise me they might publish a cheaper D fare around sept first sad.png my bad luck...

I found Qatar for 80.xxx, but not lie flat seats DOH-BRU and losing my gold status with Etihad, equally bad timing.

Qatar economy came in at 31K but with a 9h layover at DOH, 35K to shorten layover to less than 2h.

Sorry for Oman Air, no FRA or CDG hopping for me, therefore also no China Airlines or EVA, they don't have lie flats neither in business class.

Same for Emirates, now flying A380 BKK-DBX-AMS, expensive around 106K.

And BKK-BRU direct with Thai at 108k, no lie flats but good timing. I'll rather save 20k.

My son flew BRU-BKK on egyptair a few times until his plane did an aborted landing, scared the hell out of him, exit egyptair whistling.gif

Also think there is a 5 hours layover in one direction.

Last time and next he flies Thai around 750 euro ex BRU for coming november.

I finally booked Etihad business at 85.840 W booking class, not the 99K for my preferred day/timing, leaving BKK at 03.00am, I'll take the last flight out of Udon Thani and hang out somewhere around Swampy. Thus it pays to check different days of the week, different hours of day/night.

It would not surprise me they might publish a cheaper D fare around sept first sad.png my bad luck...

I found Qatar for 80.xxx, but not lie flat seats DOH-BRU and losing my gold status with Etihad, equally bad timing.

Qatar economy came in at 31K but with a 9h layover at DOH, 35K to shorten layover to less than 2h.

Sorry for Oman Air, no FRA or CDG hopping for me, therefore also no China Airlines or EVA, they don't have lie flats neither in business class.

Same for Emirates, now flying A380 BKK-DBX-AMS, expensive around 106K.

And BKK-BRU direct with Thai at 108k, no lie flats but good timing. I'll rather save 20k.

Thanks for the info. Have a good trip.

Yermaneewai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Also prices for the same flights that I have booked are now at 59,360baht per ticket, I paid around 32000 for mine per ticket.

Now the price of my ticket has rocketed to 92,270baht, but on one leg there are no economy seats left so up into Business, so considering I paid 32000baht for mine am extremely happy with that price.

BKK to DUS

return via CDG to BKK

with Aeroflot

Flew LHR - BKK ret. with Aeroflot about eleven or twelve years ago, cattle class (or prawn class, as my wife calls it).

The London - Moscow leg was ok, fairly new plane, ok service, but the Moscow - Bangkok leg was atrocious. Landing at Don Muang was one of the most frightening experiences of my life. The plane seemed to come in sideways and then kind of bounced down the runway! On the return, I boarded the ageing Jumbo with some trepidation, and my worst fears were realised. The aisle carpet was like the carpet you sometimes find at the bar in an old pub - sticky and threadbare. The seats were so worn that the fabric was gone in places and the foam was hanging out, and at the sides where the recliner mechanism was, the plastic covers were broken and jagged. The food and cabin service pretty well matched the rest of the plane - absolutely dire. They may well have improved since then, but I for one will never fly with them again.

I flew ATH - BKK ret. with Gulf a few times, and was quite impressed with both price and service, but they've stopped flying to Athens, so I'm going to have to find another alternative next time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well as expected the Qatar business fare to Europe during the 3 days promotion was 72k, whilst I paid almost 86 on Etihad, OK I am gold on Etihad, nothing on Qatar, but still...

I checked Etihad business class ex Bangkok for March 2013 last week and came up with 83K, today same dates show 93k!

The flight I booked early october at 86 now comes also at 93K, go figure

Maybe the because the Euro went up one baht??? Around 39.50 today

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I made it to Brussels with Etihad (paid 86k) I checked business class BKK-BRU prices for next trip March 2013 sick.gif

Etihad bad timing 100k, good timing 110K

Qatar 99k

Thai 130K

Emirates to AMS 119k

Oman to FRA 90K

At this level would book Oman to FRA, but hope to find Etihad or Qatar promotion around Jan 2013 as announced a few days ago around 80k.