American Sriracha Sauce

WinnieTheKhwai

It was originally in response to Mestizo's post of having a bottle of the US stuff and seemingly willing to share it (and Thai food to taste with each sauce with but any preparation would do) but Aristide a side baked beans competition sounds fun too. Be forewarned I won the Best Baked Beans in Boston contest against many of the cities Chef's incl. the major hotels etc. I just got to source some Sam Adams Boston Larger for my award winning recipe

• Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the equal portion of Thai black beans and pinto beans. Soaked overnight. Simmered the homemade BBQ sauce. The Chipotle sauce and Cheddar in the end.

I make the bbq sauce using cilantro, onions, smoked bacon thickly sliced, bell peper, tomato, worcestershire, all spice powder etc. That's the way I made, but since junglechef has won the baked beans competition he might have a secret weapon I'm not aware of!

What beans do you use? Canned? Or dried, and then soaked & cooked?

Edited by ARISTIDE
  • Like 2

Not sure if you could call the typical Thai one authentic; unsurprisingly it's not very widely used other than with fried egg dishes or the fried battered mussels thing. In Vietnam, their variety (on which the Rooster Brand one is based) seems more widely used, also in noodle soups. And then in the US it's now really a thing, with people putting it on just about anything. (Classic: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha )

This is getting way too deep into the technicalities of sriracha sauce for a simple man like me, but I agree it has become all the rage here in California.

My local grocery chain is advertising it heavily, including to put it on.. ice cream!

Here is the link:

http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=215

The possibilities are unlimited, given the right marketing.

• Like 2

The same kind that used in Thai dessert yes. Cheap and tasty.

Thai black beans are the small ones though right? I see those used mostly in sweet dessert type things. But those are the ones you use, not the slightly bigger red beans? Definitely interesting.

• Like 1

I use the equal portion of Thai black beans and pinto beans. Soaked overnight. Simmered the homemade BBQ sauce. The Chipotle sauce and Cheddar in the end.

I make the bbq sauce using cilantro, onions, smoked bacon thickly sliced, bell peper, tomato, worcestershire, all spice powder etc. That's the way I made, but since junglechef has won the baked beans competition he might have a secret weapon I'm not aware of!

What beans do you use? Canned? Or dried, and then soaked & cooked?

I have no secrets (at least when it come to food), but I based it on and old Maine "Beans in a hole" recipe which is based on an American Indian method of burying the beans with bear grease and maple syrup, ok I'm off to Rimping to see if they have any.

• Like 1

I too find sriracha too sweet and insipid. The Rooster one is certainly less sweet, but I still find it cloying. Back home when I was doing festival catering I used to buy the 3-liter jars of Rooster Sambel Oelek, and Tong Ot Toi, but not the sriracha...

But last year, in a Cambodian restaurant, this bottle of sriracha was sitting on the table. attachicon.gifP24_04_12-12.46.jpg I didn't hate it - certainly better than the usual sweet ones. It is from Thailand.

I too bring chili sauces to Thailand. My favourite is Kun Yick Wah Kee. It is the standard chili sauce served with dim-sum in Hong Kong and N. America... A little sour, quite hot, and has some yam in it. I carry it under my seat in case I am near a dim sum place. The other chilies I bring are chipotle in adobo - smoked jalepenos in tomato sauce - smoky and hot , and Valentina's pequin pepper sauce.

attachicon.gifkoon yick.jpg attachicon.gifchipotle adobo.jpg attachicon.gifValentina.jpg

I have a friend in California who is as devoted as you are. He too, keeps a couple of different varieties of chili sauce in his car to use when he goes to Mexican, Korean restaurants, etc.smile.png

attachicon.gifhot sauce.jpg

Will try to find Huy Fong Foods, American Sriracha Sauce

DIX Chipotle sauce made in Thailand is REALLY good!

American Sriracha by Huy Fong Foods available on eBay for 6 GBP + 10 Pounds post (about 500 grams bottle) as well as Sriracha flavored Lays potato chips @ US 10.00 per bag, t-shirts, iPhone cases, ladies underpants, 'hoodies', hats, etc.

I used to but the stuff in California regularly. Didn't realize it had been elevated to cult status.

Edited by elektrified

Not sure if you could call the typical Thai one authentic; unsurprisingly it's not very widely used other than with fried egg dishes or the fried battered mussels thing. In Vietnam, their variety (on which the Rooster Brand one is based) seems more widely used, also in noodle soups. And then in the US it's now really a thing, with people putting it on just about anything. (Classic: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha )

This is getting way too deep into the technicalities of sriracha sauce for a simple man like me, but I agree it has become all the rage here in California.

My local grocery chain is advertising it heavily, including to put it on.. ice cream!

Here is the link:

Looking at that link to Trader Joes is the first time I have been homesick in 11 years. I kid you not.

• Like 1

I use the equal portion of Thai black beans and pinto beans. Soaked overnight. Simmered the homemade BBQ sauce.

Baking now. smile.png

I just realized something: I have been buying imported BBQ sauce (or other brown sauces) half my life for completely no reason.. Result of mixing tomato ketchup, balsamic vinegar, raw sugar cane sugar, mustard and some Hoisin sauce and Chipotle sauce and, yes, Huy Fong Sriracha was absolutely magnificent. Maybe better actually, would need to test side by side. wink.png Resulted in a beautiful brown sauce, too..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Hey Winnie it's what some of us call cooking - rolleyes.gif , if you want a real (and healthy organic) smokey flavor I use wood vinegar (the liquid by-product of charcoal making). I make my own but w/all the charcoal for sale it must be redly avail. Also good for insecticide and antiseptic.

• Like 1

So did you manage to buy Huy Fong Sriracha?

I use the equal portion of Thai black beans and pinto beans. Soaked overnight. Simmered the homemade BBQ sauce.

Baking now. smile.png

I just realized something: I have been buying imported BBQ sauce (or other brown sauces) half my life for completely no reason.. Result of mixing tomato ketchup, balsamic vinegar, raw sugar cane sugar, mustard and some Hoisin sauce and Chipotle sauce and, yes, Huy Fong Sriracha was absolutely magnificent. Maybe better actually, would need to test side by side. wink.png Resulted in a beautiful brown sauce, too..

Edited by ARISTIDE

I just bought the one pictured below next to my beloved American version. It is pretty good, it is not as good at the California made version. IT is spicy enough though, hard to complain, it is close.... and I figure I am getting some good sriracha sauce culture smile.png

I have also bought the "Roza" version. This one is ok, not nearly as spicy as I like it. I am still in the market for the other versions posted in my previous post. It has been a fun little job looking for them, and tracking that ever elusive holy grail of the Thai srirachas.

Those smoked jalepenos pictured above brought some serious pavlov's dog response to my glands. It is almost tougher seeing those than some of these Thai women on the bts lol.

post-172506-0-85535700-1367921835_thumb.

Edited by utalkin2me

Here is the link:

Looking at that link to Trader Joes is the first time I have been homesick in 11 years. I kid you not.

I really miss those 10 dollar bottles of outstanding wines they have.. Arghhhh! And the sriracha of course. I used to buy mine in vietnamese asian markets in California and get it cheaper than in the chain grocery stores. All part of the sriracha experience smile.png

Edited by utalkin2me

Here is the link:

I really miss those 10 dollar bottles of outstanding wines they have.. Arghhhh! And the sriracha of course. I used to buy mine in vietnamese asian markets in California and get it cheaper than in the chain grocery stores. All part of the sriracha experience smile.png

10 dollar bottles? Guess I've been gone a long time. We used to have "2 buck Chuck" outstanding Cabernet made in California @ US $1.99 per bottle that really pissed the French off as it was so damn good and won so many awards. I used to buy 3-4 cases at a time because it would sell out so fast at the Trader Joe's near my house. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shaw_wine

post-49932-0-42117800-1367976485_thumb.j

• Like 2

When I lived in Venice Beach in the 80-90"s there was a Trader Joes' near me in Palms, well before the days that they had hundreds of them, and though I was a bit of a wine snob then, as I still am now, Two Buck Chuck wasn't bad, actually a very big bang for the buck, and yes it sure took the industry for a loop!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to a sriracha taste off and how you can make your own (I haven't tried) that I thought might interest you: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/sriracha-chile-hot-sauce-taste-off.html

Anyone know where to purchase the Shark Brand Sriracha (Thailand) that scored so highly on the shootout above? I've been to all the usual...Tesco, Big C, Rimping, Thai markets, etc. No one has heard of it. Rimping has one called 860 brand or something like that (65 THB compared to about 25 THB for all other Thai chili sauces). The girl there didn't know what Sriracha sauce was (no surprise) but said that the 860? brand had been there for a long time and she had never seen any sold. No surprise either. Tesco had only Heinz brand? That was a surprise!

• Like 1

Here is a link to a sriracha taste off and how you can make your own (I haven't tried) that I thought might interest you: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/sriracha-chile-hot-sauce-taste-off.html

Anyone know where to purchase the Shark Brand Sriracha (Thailand) that scored so highly on the shootout above? I've been to all the usual...Tesco, Big C, Rimping, Thai markets, etc. No one has heard of it. Rimping has one called 860 brand or something like that (65 THB compared to about 25 THB for all other Thai chili sauces). The girl there didn't know what Sriracha sauce was (no surprise) but said that the 860? brand had been there for a long time and she had never seen any sold. No surprise either. Tesco had only Heinz brand? That was a surprise!

I am looking for it too. I was happy to keep on the lookout (all part of the experience), but if somebody answers you, that'll be great smile.png

Incidentally, I just saw some longer, more robust red Thai chilis at the market. They were about 30 baht for about 10 of them. I think I will try my own recipe with them..... steam the chilis, then chilis, garlic, salt, and maybe a Thai (small red) chili or two in the blender.

Edited by utalkin2me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back on the subject of Sriracha sauce, has anyone found the Shark brand that scored so highly? I even asked some friends in BKK if they could send me some. They had never heard of it and asked around for it -- no luck. It must be available somewhere, after all it's made in THAILAND.

Not sure I'm following you junglechef. Are you suggesting I order it from these people in Washington, USA? I guess I could write them and ask them for a source in Thailand. Seems a bit funny that a Thai made product is so difficult to find here.

• Like 1