3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

One month that I have the Pajero and time to give a bit of feedback on usage and experience.

First of all, I finally got my English-language manual. And finally can understand how to operate the gear lever (no need to depress the button to shift between "N" and "D", which is a cool feature). It sure makes all the information more accessible.

The first 1.000 kms service went perfectly, and the car is always working perfectly.

The dealership cleaned off the "lamina" mentions on the film, so it now finally looks a "normal" car.

I drove the PJS under heavy rain, and (probably because I slowed down reasonably), I never had issues with the wheels.

The one very annoying factor and a real safety issue for me is getting to be the A pilar, standing in my field of vision while turning right. If it is dark and/or raining, my vision is seriously impaired on the right side. The rain visors (black!) that have been fitted almost double the issue, as they create an additional dark angle obscuring my sight. Dark films (60 %) do not make it more difficult to see out... But instead the rain on the mirrors and the side windows can make for challenging situations, where appreciating the distance from cars behind becomes difficult (even though, with a convex mirror, it is already very difficult).

Parking stays at time a challenge for me in the department stores, as the bulk of the car can pose some issue to fit into a box, but reversing camera and a bit of experience are making it easier. I tend however (habit) to check more the mirrors.... Than the camera.

Beyond this, the car responds perfectly, has not shown any motor issue and functions perfectly. Brakes always very responsive...

On the positive side, yesterday, as I had to dwell through a flooded soi, I was thanking heavens I had an SUV...

The dealership has been very kind and helpful so far. The new mats i had fitted look great and are perfect...

On the handling part, it is true that the PJS is very, very easily manoeuvrable and I had several times the occasion of slipping through very tight situations. I had it tried yesterday by a lady friend... And she was impressed by the ease to drive it (she's accustomed to the CRV!).

That's for now... And I will keep updating on good and bad sides of my experience with the PJS.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On balance I too am enjoying pajero life. The luggage capacity in particular has come in handy a number of times whilst fertying visitors back and forth to the airport + not having to bother to move my golf clubs.

The brakes which I initially found snatchy seem to have worn in and I am having no problems at all. I guess my only grumbles would be the lack of Sat Nav and the fact that the colour seems to attract dirt like crazy.

The only other issue I am having (and this may be a function of the dark colour) is that it is also an accident magnet. I have had 2 in the past fortnight. The first was just an impatiant idiot who drove into me whilst I was stationary half pulled into traffic from a side road... my fault as it is apparantly illegal to change lanes ! the second was on a U-turn, again I was stationary - it was dark and rainy - and a motor bike skidded and smacked into the back of me.

The first was a real PITA because the woman wouldnt accept any fault (she had 3rd class insurance) so there was endless back and forth with the insurance companies, I ended up just signing whatever my secretary put in front of my to put an end to the nonsense ! The second was more worrying but thankfully the guy a) was OK after I picked the bike up off of him and he dusted himself down B) realised it wasn't my fault and just went on his merry way... leaving me with a nice 1ft scratch across the back of the bar tho

Dark color sure looks cool and sleek when clean, but also shows off every single fingerprint! Not to say the rainy season sure makes it tough keeping it nice-looking.

Regarding your first accident, it sure seems road rage more to blame than the color of the car. It is funny, because in general the bulk of the car discourages some drivers from playing chicken with you (but nothing dissuades bus drivers and their cousins, the infernal taxi drivers!).

On my side, the brakes have become more "spongy" since my service... Whereas I could get a response from a simple pressure on the brakes, now I must depress them to the floor to get a satisfying response.

I work with a garmin unit as sat nav, but my irritation is that I am left with a central display that has no use whatsoever. So, sometimes, I use it to display the title of the songs that are being played (poor consolation!).

BTW, for your last accident, it would have been useful to have a dash cam to show to the insurance, don't you think?

My own close call was with a taxi who kept insisting on passing on the right lane after I signaled my intention and started changing lane... We almost rubbed my back right wing with his front left one.

I also learned to accelerate faster (dam_n the fuel efficiency if it avoids an accident)... as the road rage of some thai drivers can be dangerous at intersections and u-turns (when I am doing the u-turn, obviously!).

I agree with both comments on the lack of functions for the touch screen.

Considering the price advantage the PJS has over the Fortuner, Mitsubishi could add another model above the GT with Sat Nav and a nice set of 18inch wheels. Actually they should throw in a fuel consumption / information display and a more modern stereo with blue-tooth, USB as well.

But they don't, so if you want some use from the touch screen all you can do is add the compatible sat nav and reverse camera.

Edited by Jitar

I agree with both comments on the lack of functions for the touch screen.

Considering the price advantage the PJS has over the Fortuner, Mitsubishi could add another model above the GT with Sat Nav and a nice set of 18inch wheels. Actually they should throw in a fuel consumption / information display and a more modern stereo with blue-tooth, USB as well.

But they don't, so if you want some use from the touch screen all you can do is add the compatible sat nav and reverse camera.

Well, well, well .... to find all of these amenities, it looks like we're back looking at the MU-7!

That's the conundrum with SUV buying in LOS: Each model shines in different ways with different components but at the expense of other component areas.

My take:

MU-7:

- Excellent touch screen Navigation

- Excellent audio - DVD / Bluetooth / USB stereo system

- Front and rear camera

- Most spacious and comfortable 7 seat vehicle

- Best fuel economy, highest (modifiable) Hp, smooth riding, (and, IMO, durable) 3.0L diesel engine

It doesn't have cruise control or electric seats like the other SUVs and falls (comparatively) short in exterior styling, brake quality, rear suspension and its 4 spd transmission - but, by adding aftermarket shocks, a rear disc brake conversion kit and larger wheels with 1st class tires, (all for less than the price of a new Fortuner or Trailblazer), you have one nice riding competitive SUV with all the interior amenities that you and your passengers can enjoy every minute and kilometer of the drive!

The following models have electric seats and cruise control options:

Trailblazer (only its top model has nice size wheels and 2.8L eng and (mediocre) sat/nav option. Seats aren't as 'luxurious'. Only Prt time 4WD - more expensive and 'smaller' than the MU-7)

- Good Styling

- Leading(?) rear suspension

- 6 spd(?) transmission

- 178hp 2.8L eng

- Best 2nd & 3rd row seat storage configuration

Fortuner: (3rd row seat storage a major negative - 'plasticky' interior. 4WD option: Only Full time mode - more expensive and 'smaller' than the MU-7)

- comfortable riding

PJS: (thirsty eng, sat/nav stereo is not competitive and 'smaller' than the MU-7)

- 6 spd transmission

- Best 4WD

- Good 3rd row seat storage

- Lowest price

- Good styling

Re Dash cam: The irony is that after a comment I made a couple of weeks back i did indeed hit up Pantip plaza for a dash cam... but I'll be dashed if I can get the dam_n thing to work ! ;)

For some reason the thing says that the memory card is full despite it being brand new and formatted. So I have had both of my incidents with a dash cam sat on the passenger seat - grrr !

You're right that the bulk of the car does deter most other drivers from playing chicken but the first one was just a woman in a rush having a bad day.

I forgot to mention fuel efficiency - I am still getting arond 450 to the tank. But I am almost exclusively using the car around town.

The screen is a bit of a bummer and I too use it pretty much just to show the title of the music I am listening too but intend to get a compatible sat nav rigged up as per some previous questions i had on a seperate thread.

Thaiholt, I gather you like the MU7 and I agree it has more room in the back than the shorter PJS, Fortuner and Trailblazer. MU7 Stereo & Nav systems are good and the engine is probably the most fuel efficient. It's a good vehicle if you need to carry 7 people around.

However I would be reluctant to buy one now because:

I personally do not like the styling (just my opinion).

The handling and braking are not up to the standard of PJS and Fortuner. The upgrades you mention are fine but the MU7 4x4 price is 1.3M baht, virtually the same as the PJS.

Resale value is a little lower than Fortuner and PJS and the current model is due to be superseded following the new D-max.

Part time 4WD and no cruise etc do not help.

My experience with D-max fuel pumps and head gaskets has not shown Isuzu engine durability to be any better than Mitsubishi or Ford. This maybe a good subject for a separate thread.

So unless you really need all 7 seats, I still reckon the Fortuner, PJS and Trailblazer are still the best options, at least until the new Everest and MU7 models are introduced.

BTW, the 4x4 versions of the Fortuner and PJS that I use consume about the same fuel (10 - 11km/L). Really the choice between these two is mostly personal preference, (outated PJS stereo vs Fortuner plastic dash and higher price). Note the PJS has a 5 speed trans not 6.

I don't know the Trailblazer well but IMO the styling and interior could have been better considering it is new to the market. It does have the best Transmission spec, (6 speed that can handle full engine torque). The rear disc brakes (first for a Thai PPV) are good but the rear suspension design is really just equivalent to the Fortuner and PJS.

Well, get the seller in Pantip to set up the dash cam for you. They should be able to do it.

Regarding fuel efficiency, I think I get a little bit more than you (a bit like 600-700 kms for 60 l). In general, that involves 10-20 % highway on week-ends.

I forgot to mention that I do have a reversing camera, so the central display has some (limited) use when parking. The cool feature are also the parking sensors which warn you when you are too close to a wall while reversing.

Re. the comparison between the different SUV's: MU7's looks do not really appeal to me, even if I love the Isuzu reliability. Trailblazer, well, too expensive + GM quality leaves me with some doubts... Fortuner: too badly connotated (aggressive drivers, flashy (thai) people), and don't like the looks either (not to say it is also more expensive with a very dull-looking dashboard).

Finally, with regards to the movies/etc, I don't really need such things distracting me while driving. I try to focus on what I am doing and the traffic, so hardly have time for chats with passengers, etc.

The one very annoying factor and a real safety issue for me is getting to be the A pilar, standing in my field of vision while turning right. If it is dark and/or raining, my vision is seriously impaired on the right side. The rain visors (black!) that have been fitted almost double the issue, as they create an additional dark angle obscuring my sight. Dark films (60 %) do not make it more difficult to see out... But instead the rain on the mirrors and the side windows can make for challenging situations, where appreciating the distance from cars behind becomes difficult (even though, with a convex mirror, it is already very difficult).

On the handling part, it is true that the PJS is very, very easily manoeuvrable and I had several times the occasion of slipping through very tight situations. I had it tried yesterday by a lady friend... And she was impressed by the ease to drive it (she's accustomed to the CRV!).

More than 6 months now for myself and the PJS and still very happy. It takes all the abuse myself, the family, junior football teams, and assorted relatives can throw at it and happily plugs along giving us a smooth, comfortable, and reliable ride. It can be a little noisy and grumpy in the morning when started cold, but I feel the same way in the mornings so I can sympathise. Once it is warmed up I find the engine relatively quiet and smooth for the rest of the day, much in line with other diesels.

Just to pick up on some of the points above, I don't have any visibility issues around the A pillar but I also don't have any weather shields. I think they must be the issue rather than anyhting else. May be worth taking them off to see if that improves the situation.

Regarding the ease of driving I completely agree. My wife complained before I even bought the PJS that it would be too hard to manouver so we ended up buying 2 cars, a Focus for her to run around town, and the PJS for the family workhorse duties. Of course now she remarks how easy the PJS is to drive around and park, but admittedly she does still prefer the Focus.

No issues at all with the PJS in terms of reliability, quality of finish, servicing, or support from the dealer (also Suk 71) so very happy.

Thaiholt, I gather you like the MU7 and I agree it has more room in the back than the shorter PJS, Fortuner and Trailblazer. MU7 Stereo & Nav systems are good and the engine is probably the most fuel efficient. It's a good vehicle if you need to carry 7 people around.

However I would be reluctant to buy one now because:

I personally do not like the styling (just my opinion).

The handling and braking are not up to the standard of PJS and Fortuner. The upgrades you mention are fine but the MU7 4x4 price is 1.3M baht, virtually the same as the PJS.

Resale value is a little lower than Fortuner and PJS and the current model is due to be superseded following the new D-max.

Part time 4WD and no cruise etc do not help.

My experience with D-max fuel pumps and head gaskets has not shown Isuzu engine durability to be any better than Mitsubishi or Ford. This maybe a good subject for a separate thread.

So unless you really need all 7 seats, I still reckon the Fortuner, PJS and Trailblazer are still the best options, at least until the new Everest and MU7 models are introduced.

BTW, the 4x4 versions of the Fortuner and PJS that I use consume about the same fuel (10 - 11km/L). Really the choice between these two is mostly personal preference, (outated PJS stereo vs Fortuner plastic dash and higher price). Note the PJS has a 5 speed trans not 6.

I don't know the Trailblazer well but IMO the styling and interior could have been better considering it is new to the market. It does have the best Transmission spec, (6 speed that can handle full engine torque). The rear disc brakes (first for a Thai PPV) are good but the rear suspension design is really just equivalent to the Fortuner and PJS.

Well, get the seller in Pantip to set up the dash cam for you. They should be able to do it.

Regarding fuel efficiency, I think I get a little bit more than you (a bit like 600-700 kms for 60 l). In general, that involves 10-20 % highway on week-ends.

I forgot to mention that I do have a reversing camera, so the central display has some (limited) use when parking. The cool feature are also the parking sensors which warn you when you are too close to a wall while reversing.

Re. the comparison between the different SUV's: MU7's looks do not really appeal to me, even if I love the Isuzu reliability. Trailblazer, well, too expensive + GM quality leaves me with some doubts... Fortuner: too badly connotated (aggressive drivers, flashy (thai) people), and don't like the looks either (not to say it is also more expensive with a very dull-looking dashboard).

Finally, with regards to the movies/etc, I don't really need such things distracting me while driving. I try to focus on what I am doing and the traffic, so hardly have time for chats with passengers, etc.

3 very well stated examples of personal preferences in the SUV class! And I, (we?), agree with much of the other 2 stated opinions! coffee1.gif

TIT y'all! rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Getting close to the three-months ownership of the car... And time to do another long-term ownership report.

1° Driving in Thailand

Sometimes, driving in Thailand can get hair-raising, in particular in the provinces. I have done a trip to Hua Hin this week-end... Over 400 kms in total (back and forth), I managed to see three accidents on the road, of which one deadly. The deadly one was a guy driving a tricycle that was doing apparently a u-turn at an inappropriate place and got hit on the rightmost lane. Apparently got hit by a car, and projected on the road where he hit his head. Don't think he made it.

Other two were typical rear-ending collisions between pickups. Besides that, I have a major issue with speeding impatient drivers who tailgate me while I am overtaking another car or truck, then don't even wait for me to switch lanes when I put my blinkers, but overtake me on the left. I learned now to recognize them, so I keep a constant speed when I see them, and let them overtake by the left. Any other possible attitude would lead to a collision. Somehow, most of these drivers are drivers of Fortuners... biggrin.png The other thing on the return way: four cars racing and swerving around the traffic on the highway (SUV, Sedan and pickup all tailgating each other). I get really irritated with such irresponsible behavior... which endangers a host of innocent drivers.

As to me, I learned to adapt my driving, from sedated to slightly more fast (accelerating quickly at u-turns - at least as much as the turbo lag allows) when oncoming traffic arrives and out of trouble zones)... This does not affect my fuel consumption that much, but is definitely safer before speeding drivers.

My own close call of the week-end was a pickup suddenly coming out of a side road and biting on my (leftmost) highway lane very slowly (laden with passengers in the bed). I had to brake very hard to avoid hitting it... But never felt the ABS entering in action. In the end, surviving on thai roads requires a lot of caution, but also a dose of luck.. And if it gets to that, better be in a SUV than a smaller car.

2° Handling

So far, so good. However (maybe due to my inexperience), I still feel uncomfortable pushing the car above 100 km/h, especially as at those speeds, any sudden trajectory correction is paid with heavy wallowing. Maybe just discomfort in the feeling, as at no moment the car ever gave the feeling of tipping or being out of control. Nevertheless, although it can reach easily 120-130 kms/h on easy straight roads (and perfect ones!), I believe that given the state of the thai roads, driving at those speeds is taking a lot of risks, as any road irregularity (saw a huge pothole, right in the middle of the highway!) can easily result in a loss of control (particularly for a novice driver). I thus keep a sedate 90-100 kms/h most of the time. I guess that a sedan would be easier to driver... But then I think of the potholes and I have no regrets. laugh.png

3° Gas mileage and various

Surprisingly, I manage pretty good mileages. Unscientific methodology, but so far, my worst score was 9.82 km/l for exclusively city driving. The best was with 50 % city, 50 % highway driving (12.71 kms/l or 737 kms on 58 l of Vpower). This being said, as mentioned above, I keep it to 80-100 kms most of the time, so this probably explains that. The rpm's always stay at or under 2000 rpm. Sometimes, it is nice to hear the turbo growl when you push it, but I never have the occasion of pushing it very far.

What else? Well, the absence of lumbar support on the seats is starting to cause me an issue on long drives, where I am strapped in the driver's seat. My back aches, so I am trying desperately to find a lumbar cushion of sorts...

I took a closer look a the rainshields... And they are jet black, with no transparency, whatsoever. Although they make the car look smart from outside, from inside, it is a real added hazard to the A pillar. So, wonder if I will not have them replaced by aftermarket transparent ones, or removed altogether.

For the rest, always have some trouble handling parking in confined spaces, but I guess that comes with the size of the car. And beyond that, perfectly satisfied with the car.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another long drive last week-end, to the beautiful Kanchanaburi province and Kwai River bridge. The road was more peaceful, with less crazy motorists, although the long winding road from Kanchanaburi to Erawan falls is winding and difficult during the day, and absolutely to avoid at night (no lighting, poor visibility on oncoming traffic, and crazy drivers as everywhere else).

The car has now over 3.000 kms on record, and still acts perfectly normally, except the steering seems to have become more flimsy (almost feels now like the Fiesta at times, but I wonder if that's just my feeling!). I wonder if that is an issue with the power steering... On the other hand, a serious issue with the turbo lag just at 60 Km/h. Very difficult to kick the motor into accelerating above that speed. sad.png Excruciating when you are trying to take over a truck and the cars behind are zooming past...

Maybe a question of programming of the gearbox as most of the time, in city I don't drive above 60 km/h?

The other weird thing is that now, I have been stopped twice in as many weeks for alcohol tests in the Silom area at night. Obviously, as I had no alcohol whatsoever in my blood, was always let go with a polite salute.

My car got its first wound.... Just in front of my condo! A little car tried to whisk past me on the right while I was preparing to turn left to enter the condo... And gave me a little scratch/dent of about 10 cm on the back right wing (of course, it sped away). I am very annoyed at this esthetic point and wondering how to iron it out. It seems just the paint is slightly caved in on a small line which is almost invisible (would pass for a simple dirt line if you don't look closer). Is it worth getting the insurance in play at this point? How to iron it out?

I have also been to Malaysia for three days... And I was surprised to see only one PJS during my stay. In the matters of cars, Malaysians do not seem to favour a lot big SUV's, and even Fortuners were there in reduced numbers (two or three). Small, ugly Malaysian protons or Chinese cars are in number, however, with a couple of pickups here or there.

Good to hear that the car is still going well. I don't seem to have such an issue with turbo lag as you describe. Not sure why, but for myself at least it was occasional an issue but I think I have just learnt to drive around it. If sitting behing a truck at low speed and then just putting your foot straight down yes there can be some lag, but I seem to notice it far less now. It has not been a conscious thing but I think I have probably adjusted just to plan that little further ahead by sitting back and rolling into the overtake more and just letting the car accelerate as it builds torque.

For the scratch I would not recommend talking to the insurance company. To fix something like that is very cheap in Thailand, whereas if you contact insurance you will pay far more through a premium jump next year. I have a similar small scratch on my car, on the top of the tail gate of all places. A case of looking left, right, and behind when reverse parking, but not looking up for a single bolt protruding down from an air conditioning bracket!! In my case I will just hold off for a while in case I accumate a few more scratches (very likley the way my wife drives) and get them adressed all together. If your scratch particularly worries you just organise to get it done by yourself as it will be very cheap. If you don't know somewhere to get it done maybe ask the dealer for a recommendation or have them organise it during your next service.

Another long drive last week-end, to the beautiful Kanchanaburi province and Kwai River bridge. The road was more peaceful, with less crazy motorists, although the long winding road from Kanchanaburi to Erawan falls is winding and difficult during the day, and absolutely to avoid at night (no lighting, poor visibility on oncoming traffic, and crazy drivers as everywhere else).

The car has now over 3.000 kms on record, and still acts perfectly normally, except the steering seems to have become more flimsy (almost feels now like the Fiesta at times, but I wonder if that's just my feeling!). I wonder if that is an issue with the power steering... On the other hand, a serious issue with the turbo lag just at 60 Km/h. Very difficult to kick the motor into accelerating above that speed. sad.png Excruciating when you are trying to take over a truck and the cars behind are zooming past...

Maybe a question of programming of the gearbox as most of the time, in city I don't drive above 60 km/h?

The other weird thing is that now, I have been stopped twice in as many weeks for alcohol tests in the Silom area at night. Obviously, as I had no alcohol whatsoever in my blood, was always let go with a polite salute.

My car got its first wound.... Just in front of my condo! A little car tried to whisk past me on the right while I was preparing to turn left to enter the condo... And gave me a little scratch/dent of about 10 cm on the back right wing (of course, it sped away). I am very annoyed at this esthetic point and wondering how to iron it out. It seems just the paint is slightly caved in on a small line which is almost invisible (would pass for a simple dirt line if you don't look closer). Is it worth getting the insurance in play at this point? How to iron it out?

I have also been to Malaysia for three days... And I was surprised to see only one PJS during my stay. In the matters of cars, Malaysians do not seem to favour a lot big SUV's, and even Fortuners were there in reduced numbers (two or three). Small, ugly Malaysian protons or Chinese cars are in number, however, with a couple of pickups here or there.

About your small dent....depends where is it and how deep...sometimes if you lucky,you can fix it like this...

Edited by funcat

What else? Well, the absence of lumbar support on the seats is starting to cause me an issue on long drives, where I am strapped in the driver's seat. My back aches, so I am trying desperately to find a lumbar cushion of sorts...

You can buy these airtex type cushions that have elastic straps that hold them in place on the seat. I've often seen them on car stall/booths in the open section in malls. The ones that sell mats, seat belt strap cushions and other car knick knacks

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

Its like 7.1 km/ litre for me. The PJS is draining diesel like 6 wheeler.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

This is NOT good. I'll never get a big car if that's a common thing.

That seems like a lot - driving into Bangkok from over Tonburi side - 35km a day over Rama 8 and into Asok/Nana area I'm getting 9.4km per litre. If I spend three days a week on my side of the river then I'm up around 12km per litre

edit - MU7 2WD 3.0

Edited by 2unique

I want to know how much you drive a week and how much it costs you in Diesel

I drive 80-90km per day. Combined highway and city driving. I fill up the Cruze (1.8L) once a week. About 1,800 a week.

It will all depend on how you drive, TC. In city, my lowest mileage was 9.82 km/l. On highway/city, around 12.13 to 12.71 km/l. Take into account that it being Diesel, one tank is about 70 ltrs, for a price equivalent to your tank.

Well, a bigger car entails more weight to displace, obviously. So, yes, better start thinking about it. You will hardly get below 12 km/l...

Well, a bigger car entails more weight to displace, obviously. So, yes, better start thinking about it. You will hardly get below 12 km/l...

...yes,the New Ranger is about 2 ton and I get about 11.5 km/L on diesel...not to bad I'd guess...that city traffic of course...

....unless he's suddenly able/willing to spend the money on an imported German or English SUV whistling.gif

Edited by IMHO

• 1 month later...

Time for another update, as I am nearing the 5.000 kms on the PJS.

Drive and overall driving experience has been pleasurable so far with the PJS.

One thing where I am very annoyed, was with the change of oil service at the Suk. 71 dealership/service area.

I went there just to have the oil changed (first time, and it seemed to annoy them). They tried to use the coupon of the 10.000 kms service... Even though there are still two months to go.

I refused and told them to charge me the service rather than use the general service. Actually, all they did was replace the oil, tighten the brakes (far more responsive now!) and clean up the car and the air filter. My big issue with them, was that when I asked them at what interval you had to do the wheel rotation and balancing, they told me "every 2.000 kms". When asked "did you do it now?" they answered: "You must ask for it, when you bring the car in". Ok... So where is the service spirit? Where is the dynamism and spirit of going the further mile? Beyond that, my impression was that you had to swap wheels every 10.000 kms, not every 2.000.

In short, I had the impression that all they wanted was to grab the coupons of the service and get away with it doing the minimum on the car. My further thinking is that it is far more profitable to have parts breaking down later, rather than having the car properly serviced to have these parts last longer.

Also trust-breaking was my request for the white plates. She suddenly remembered there was a missing document for Finance, which I had to sign for me to get the plates. LOL Of course, she never called me or wrote an e-mail to tell me about it.cheesy.gif No mystery, today she was so much less chatty.

In short, two events which do not satisfy me as to their performance, their professionalism and their attitude. I will be looking for another service center, possibly one better equipped (this place does not seem to be quite so well equipped to check the balancing of wheels). If anyone knows of some state of the art Mitsu service center in BKK (preferably with english-speaking personnel), please give me a hint.

So far, this has been the second letdown with MItsubishi (first one being the tobacco smell inside the car). I hope one day, I don't end hating the car because of the service... Like someone did. But fortunately, for me, the car is not falling to bits and pieces, so that's a consolation for now...

I just hit the 20,000 km mark in my PJS after 6 months. From my experience I can recommend the following 2 dealerships:

1) Mitsu Auto City on Srinagarindra road not far from Seacon Square

2) Mitsubishi near Ramhkhanghaeng University (Hua Mark area)

They both have given me great service and some of the people speak a bit of English.

One thing where I am very annoyed, was with the change of oil service at the Suk. 71 dealership/service area.

I went there just to have the oil changed (first time, and it seemed to annoy them). They tried to use the coupon of the 10.000 kms service... Even though there are still two months to go.

I refused and told them to charge me the service rather than use the general service. Actually, all they did was replace the oil, tighten the brakes (far more responsive now!) and clean up the car and the air filter. My big issue with them, was that when I asked them at what interval you had to do the wheel rotation and balancing, they told me "every 2.000 kms". When asked "did you do it now?" they answered: "You must ask for it, when you bring the car in". Ok... So where is the service spirit? Where is the dynamism and spirit of going the further mile? Beyond that, my impression was that you had to swap wheels every 10.000 kms, not every 2.000.

In short, I had the impression that all they wanted was to grab the coupons of the service and get away with it doing the minimum on the car. My further thinking is that it is far more profitable to have parts breaking down later, rather than having the car properly serviced to have these parts last longer.

Also trust-breaking was my request for the white plates. She suddenly remembered there was a missing document for Finance, which I had to sign for me to get the plates. LOL Of course, she never called me or wrote an e-mail to tell me about it.cheesy.gif No mystery, today she was so much less chatty.

In short, two events which do not satisfy me as to their performance, their professionalism and their attitude. I will be looking for another service center, possibly one better equipped (this place does not seem to be quite so well equipped to check the balancing of wheels). If anyone knows of some state of the art Mitsu service center in BKK (preferably with english-speaking personnel), please give me a hint.

So far, this has been the second letdown with MItsubishi (first one being the tobacco smell inside the car). I hope one day, I don't end hating the car because of the service... Like someone did. But fortunately, for me, the car is not falling to bits and pieces, so that's a consolation for now...

My PJS is from the same dealer (Sukhumvit 71) but my experience has been quite different. Servicing has been fine, no issues in getting white plates which were done in reasonable time, initially they jumped me way up the waiting list to get the car in the first place so that we had the car in time for a planned trip away, and they have checked on us from time to time to make sure all is OK. It may be a matter of who you deal with there. I deal with a guy called "Ed" who is a really nice guy. I think I know the woman you deal with and yes I think she is less on the ball.

It may all be relative as at about the same time I was having a nightmare experience with a Ford dealer, but actually for us Soi 71 has been OK.

Still only about 10,000 Km on our PJS but all smooth sailing and perfect for our purpose as a family hauler and soccer bus. Only issue at all was a faint rattle near the front door which was taken care of by the dealer.

My PJS is from the same dealer (Sukhumvit 71) but my experience has been quite different. Servicing has been fine, no issues in getting white plates which were done in reasonable time, initially they jumped me way up the waiting list to get the car in the first place so that we had the car in time for a planned trip away, and they have checked on us from time to time to make sure all is OK. It may be a matter of who you deal with there. I deal with a guy called "Ed" who is a really nice guy. I think I know the woman you deal with and yes I think she is less on the ball.

It may all be relative as at about the same time I was having a nightmare experience with a Ford dealer, but actually for us Soi 71 has been OK.

Still only about 10,000 Km on our PJS but all smooth sailing and perfect for our purpose as a family hauler and soccer bus. Only issue at all was a faint rattle near the front door which was taken care of by the dealer.

Yes, M., the lady is very nice as long as money keeps flowing in. When it does not... you lose all interest to her eyes. Actually, nobody checked on me at all since the first service (maybe language barrier, who knows? I take it your wife is thai).

The other thing is that I requested something out of their model, namely an oil change at around 5.000 kms. I am not saying that servicing was not done fine (brakes alone feel much stronger). But I do not appreciate that they did not think about performing or suggesting operations that normally only asking me about possible operations (if they say that wheels must be swapped around every 2.000 kms). I don't know if you, Eaustev are more car-savvy than me, but if you are not, they might skip on such things - obviously as you did not request it!

Anyway, beyond that bad experience, I had also the rustproof and coating checked and done today (at another place).

One annoying thing that irritates me is that they already stamped the ticket for the service with their shop... I may have to take it up to Mitsu HQ to get that solved.

In any case, the PJS is now as new once again. Shining and ready for new adventures!

Actually, nobody checked on me at all since the first service (maybe language barrier, who knows? I take it your wife is thai).

The other thing is that I requested something out of their model, namely an oil change at around 5.000 kms. I am not saying that servicing was not done fine (brakes alone feel much stronger). But I do not appreciate that they did not think about performing or suggesting operations that normally only asking me about possible operations (if they say that wheels must be swapped around every 2.000 kms). I don't know if you, Eaustev are more car-savvy than me, but if you are not, they might skip on such things - obviously as you did not request it!

Yes my missus is Thai and they do usually call her first. For any paperwork or things like organizing the plates I had my office follow up with the dealer. For servicing it is not that I am in any way car-savvy, but what I do is the same as I have done with most of my cars here over the years and send the car in with a driver and have the driver wait while the car is serviced to make sure everything is done according to plan and the right things are stamped etc.

Every 2,000km sounds way too frequent to rotate the tyres, every 15-20,000 sounds more likely!!

• 4 weeks later...

Five months of ownership have come by and gone now. Time for another ownership report on the PJS.

Since my last post, I got my white plates at last. We have now a normal white plate and should be pretty quiet on trips to the province. I see still a huge number of red plates around BKK. Many eco cars, but also Chevy's Captiva or other BMW's X1.

Talking about which, I have been on one great trip of 1.200 kms in Northern Thailand, from BKK to Mae Sot via Lom Sak. The first leg of the trip took place in the evening,with a roadtrip from BKK to Lom Sak, in order for us to be able to enjoy what is described as a scenic route from Lom Sak to Phitsanulok.

On the mechanical side, everything went perfectly over this trip, which is probably one of the most demanding ever made on the PJS. The routes I made were mostly mountainous winding roads with either steep climbs (I have to say that the PJS did an excellent job of pulling us up!) or very sharp curves in descent. So far, everything went perfectly alright and the car has functioned without a glitch. Once again, a close call during my night drive to Phitsanulok, with a truck suddenly slowing down (and indicating right) on a two-lane road... and a pickup come blazing on the right lane. This time, again, the brakes of the PJS proved their efficiency.

The points where some comments could be validly be made: well, during our trip, we had again multiple occasion to witness thai madness on roads. The road between Tak and Mae Sot is a winding moutain road, which is shared by cars and trucks... During the day, it is painful enough to drive through, but we were unfortunate to arrive there in the evening at dark... And so began an infernal mix of climbs and descents, with at times 18-wheelers breathing down our neck over neck-breaking descents at almost 80 km/h, pickups and minibuses overtaking in blind corners at daredevil speeds... A very daring road, even if short, but it demands a lot both from car and driver.

Mechanically, where i had sometimes a little bit of a difficulty was with the mechanic braking: the engines does rev higher whenever it feels that you are in a descent and you are going faster than the current gear (a bit annoying, especially when after negotiating a sharp curve, you get into a straight line in descent and wish to gain some speed without accelerating, and the engine starts to further slow down the car... Remedy: just tap gently the gas pedal. While we are talking mechanics, my motor got a different sound now... It is more like a deep "growl", and going by the ear, it would seem that this time it is definitely run in.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts the issues with the "roll" of the body: I have now become accustomed to it, and by now it is not anymore as impressive, and I feel it securely cornering at speed.

The other road trip we took was a stint on the "death highway", the famous highway binding Mae Sot to Umphang... We did not have the guts (or rather the time) to cover all the 160 kms... So we just made a little 40 kms on it, to visit falls in the region and have a feel of the reputation of that highway. If we were impressed by the road from Phitsanulok to Mae Sot, this one highway made us really cringe with its hairpin curves, steep climbs and tightness (and obviously, trucks do use this highway as well!). Maybe a trip to do the next time...

On the way back to BKK, driving was a normal road... Less agitated than the road to Hua Hin,

Since that travel, I got at least my white plates... And now can be more relaxed, even though I was never asked for the brown book while driving with red plates.

My second trip was a return to Ayutthaya... This time, I could use the 120 kms/ highway to the north. Very good speed and the Pajero keeps at around 2.300 -2.500 rpm at those speeds. However, the gas efficiency suffers dramatically (esp. if you combine it with city driving)! I think I had one of my worst mileages ever with those 60 kms.

What has been making my hair raise is the number of near misses which are averted only by being on the lookout and having quick reflexes... Left me thinking a bit on my driving. I generally try to drive safely and within the respect of limitations, without taking chances... I am often tricked by the thai drivers deciding to enter a lane at the last possible moment, after hesitating for a long while... Not to talk about the cars undercutting me, or pedestrians and bikes crossing without warning (again, with a very bad sense of timing). Drivers really like to stretch their chances and try to go by the tiniest spot. Use of mirrors and being on the lookout is a quintessential requirement for driving in Thailand!

• Like 1