3 Months Research And Finally Chose My New Car: Pajero Sport!

anon210

Stinking smell.. not sure - but i bought a new hyundai in australia. Its made in Korea. They spray the underside with some kind of sealant to protect it from salt air on the container ship.

Took about a month for this stuff to "burn off" - horrible smell.

It seems to be in many new vehicles now. Both the Ford & PJS we bought last year had the same smell, I was not sure if it was he rubber mats or perhaps the rust proofing but in both cars it disappeared in a month or two. My kids preferred initially to drive with the windows down which is really saying something with the air quality of Bangkok, but all is fine now. It certainly wasn't tobacco though.

Back off the Curry's eh. laugh.png

come to think of it the beans on toast for breakfast could have something to do with it!!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stinking smell.. not sure - but i bought a new hyundai in australia. Its made in Korea. They spray the underside with some kind of sealant to protect it from salt air on the container ship.

Took about a month for this stuff to "burn off" - horrible smell.

It seems to be in many new vehicles now. Both the Ford & PJS we bought last year had the same smell, I was not sure if it was he rubber mats or perhaps the rust proofing but in both cars it disappeared in a month or two. My kids preferred initially to drive with the windows down which is really saying something with the air quality of Bangkok, but all is fine now. It certainly wasn't tobacco though.

That stench of tobacco is still present in the car. Never found a way to get rid of it- maybe will try that ozone purifier...

40% windscreen and 60 %. Sides is very dark you will really have problems at night

40% windscreen and 60 %. I have the same but if i were to do it over, i'd have had the 80% put on the back window. We have no issues seeing at night or using the mirrors.

If it is the plastic, Bicarbonate of soda in water. Wipe all surfaces, dry off and then use one of these car interior cleaner/polishes. smile.png

just an open container of baking soda is supposed to do wonders at removing orders. Cheap and effortless and maybe worth a try.

good luck

If it is the plastic, Bicarbonate of soda in water. Wipe all surfaces, dry off and then use one of these car interior cleaner/polishes. smile.png

just an open container of baking soda is supposed to do wonders at removing orders. Cheap and effortless and maybe worth a try.

good luck

A vinegar soaked rag will also do wonders.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7625477_use-vinegar-remove-smoke-smell.html

Edited by Jayman

• 4 weeks later...

Like the good old Honda City, it gets my "Bang for Buck Vote". I'm doubtful that the Captiva can justify the extra cost.On the face of it all one gains is Looks.Ask an owner do you like your PJS,and no hesitation , avery fast YES.This is my Lotus Car ParkTest,if you get an "Erm", or "Not Bad" i downgrade the Vehicle. Must say Civic Drivers find the Question difficult to understand.biggrin.png

Thanks...

Went to the motor show and took a look and compared all the 7 seaters on the market and to be honest the PJS seemed to be the best bang for the buck

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Completely agree with you. There are a few decent 7 seat SUVs around but when you compare them all feature for feature and then look at the relative prices the PJS is unbeatable value.

Time for another update, as I am nearing the 5.000 kms on the PJS.

Drive and overall driving experience has been pleasurable so far with the PJS.

One thing where I am very annoyed, was with the change of oil service at the Suk. 71 dealership/service area.

I went there just to have the oil changed (first time, and it seemed to annoy them). They tried to use the coupon of the 10.000 kms service... Even though there are still two months to go.

I refused and told them to charge me the service rather than use the general service. Actually, all they did was replace the oil, tighten the brakes (far more responsive now!) and clean up the car and the air filter. My big issue with them, was that when I asked them at what interval you had to do the wheel rotation and balancing, they told me "every 2.000 kms". When asked "did you do it now?" they answered: "You must ask for it, when you bring the car in". Ok... So where is the service spirit? Where is the dynamism and spirit of going the further mile? Beyond that, my impression was that you had to swap wheels every 10.000 kms, not every 2.000.

In short, I had the impression that all they wanted was to grab the coupons of the service and get away with it doing the minimum on the car. My further thinking is that it is far more profitable to have parts breaking down later, rather than having the car properly serviced to have these parts last longer.

Also trust-breaking was my request for the white plates. She suddenly remembered there was a missing document for Finance, which I had to sign for me to get the plates. LOL Of course, she never called me or wrote an e-mail to tell me about it.cheesy.gif No mystery, today she was so much less chatty.

In short, two events which do not satisfy me as to their performance, their professionalism and their attitude. I will be looking for another service center, possibly one better equipped (this place does not seem to be quite so well equipped to check the balancing of wheels). If anyone knows of some state of the art Mitsu service center in BKK (preferably with english-speaking personnel), please give me a hint.

So far, this has been the second letdown with MItsubishi (first one being the tobacco smell inside the car). I hope one day, I don't end hating the car because of the service... Like someone did. But fortunately, for me, the car is not falling to bits and pieces, so that's a consolation for now...

Just been reading this thread and I notice that you comment frequently about how efficient your brakes are. Do you have non-standard brakes fitted, i.e. drum brakes?

I ask this because, as I understand it, Pajero Sports are fitted with disc brakes as standard which are not adjustable manually, they are self-adjusting and your report in this post states that the dealer "tightened" the brakes making them much more responsive. It is not possible to "tighten" disc brakes.

The Pajero is a good choice and I really enjoy driving mine.

Owners should make good use of the flappy paddles and cruise control. I use cruise whenever I can for a smoother and more relaxing drive. If I need to accelerate quickly, I change down with the flappy paddles rather than kick-back. I've never needed to flip the gear stick from auto. to manual.

What do you use the flappy paddles for? It is for gear change,right?

But why is it better than jus D?

Do you leave it in D an then use the paddles?

Yes, it's a manual gear change mechanism mounted behind the steering wheel. Left for down and right for up. It's more responsive than hitting the throttle in drive and quicker than a gear change with a conventional manual gear box.

Imagine that you're driving at a moderate speed in D and want to pass a slow truck but need more speed to get past it in good time. You pull the left hand paddle to change down and give some more throttle. The response is quicker than just hitting the throttle in D and probably uses less fuel. After the manoeuvre, you can either work back up to top with the right hand paddle or hold that paddle up for two seconds to get back into D. Very easy.

Only a couple of days now, bit really like the USB slot... So easy for playing music, tv, movies, book on tape that I have downloaded on my computer

I have yet to find the USB slot on mine and the dealership didn't have a clue. Where is it, please?

Thanks for that. Mine appears to be blanked off, unless it's a pull-off cover. The English language handbook says that there's a USB port but it may be for a foreign version of the car. I'll try to prise off the cover later and see what's there.

Thanks for that. Mine appears to be blanked off, unless it's a pull-off cover. The English language handbook says that there's a USB port but it may be for a foreign version of the car. I'll try to prise off the cover later and see what's there.

USB at least on the GT models is new for the 2013 model so if you have an earlier model it won't be there.

Time for another update, as I am nearing the 5.000 kms on the PJS.

Drive and overall driving experience has been pleasurable so far with the PJS.

One thing where I am very annoyed, was with the change of oil service at the Suk. 71 dealership/service area.

I went there just to have the oil changed (first time, and it seemed to annoy them). They tried to use the coupon of the 10.000 kms service... Even though there are still two months to go.

I refused and told them to charge me the service rather than use the general service. Actually, all they did was replace the oil, tighten the brakes (far more responsive now!) and clean up the car and the air filter. My big issue with them, was that when I asked them at what interval you had to do the wheel rotation and balancing, they told me "every 2.000 kms". When asked "did you do it now?" they answered: "You must ask for it, when you bring the car in". Ok... So where is the service spirit? Where is the dynamism and spirit of going the further mile? Beyond that, my impression was that you had to swap wheels every 10.000 kms, not every 2.000.

In short, I had the impression that all they wanted was to grab the coupons of the service and get away with it doing the minimum on the car. My further thinking is that it is far more profitable to have parts breaking down later, rather than having the car properly serviced to have these parts last longer.

Also trust-breaking was my request for the white plates. She suddenly remembered there was a missing document for Finance, which I had to sign for me to get the plates. LOL Of course, she never called me or wrote an e-mail to tell me about it.cheesy.gif No mystery, today she was so much less chatty.

In short, two events which do not satisfy me as to their performance, their professionalism and their attitude. I will be looking for another service center, possibly one better equipped (this place does not seem to be quite so well equipped to check the balancing of wheels). If anyone knows of some state of the art Mitsu service center in BKK (preferably with english-speaking personnel), please give me a hint.

So far, this has been the second letdown with MItsubishi (first one being the tobacco smell inside the car). I hope one day, I don't end hating the car because of the service... Like someone did. But fortunately, for me, the car is not falling to bits and pieces, so that's a consolation for now...

Just been reading this thread and I notice that you comment frequently about how efficient your brakes are. Do you have non-standard brakes fitted, i.e. drum brakes?

I ask this because, as I understand it, Pajero Sports are fitted with disc brakes as standard which are not adjustable manually, they are self-adjusting and your report in this post states that the dealer "tightened" the brakes making them much more responsive. It is not possible to "tighten" disc brakes.

Discs at the front, drums at the back. Trailblazer I think is the only PPV at tthe moment to have discs all round.

Just a quick answer, to confirm what Eaustev has said about brakes. Drums in back and discs in front.

Brakes are responsive, and the few times i had to use them in emergency situations, they responded as expected.

Now, this being said, I try not to expect too much from them either, and try to predict traffic situations so that I will use them less. Like taking off my foot from the gas pedal when I see a curve arriving avoids me having to brake before entering the curve as I see so many drivers doing. Same with red lights... I generally just coast along until the light. All in all techniques that should give a lower gas consumption, but also reduce the wear of the brakes.

This being said, congrats to CWM for his new purchase. I am sure the car will give all satisfaction, especially with the new additions of the 2013 model (USB, video unit in the rear, etc).

Isn't the quality of audio over bluetooth so so compared to the cable?

I had my new camera system installed in the PJS. Alpine HCE-C300R with discount from Alpine as a supplier :) Quite happy with it and better than the standard system in the PJS.

Edited by JoeW

Isn't the quality of audio over bluetooth so so compared to the cable?

I had my new camera system installed in the PJS. Alpine HCE-C300R with discount from Alpine as a supplier :) Quite happy with it and better than the standard system in the PJS.

I can't tell the difference, I use mostly the phone with the TuneIn Radio app.