Wfp Sends Emergency Food Aid To North Korea After Floods Kill 169

News_Editor

WFP sends emergency food aid to North Korea after floods kill 169 < br />

2012-08-06 03:52:54 GMT+7 (ICT)

PYONGYANG, NORTH KOREA (BNO NEWS) -- The UN's World Food Program (WFP) is sending emergency food aid to North Korea where floods have killed at least 169 people and left more than 212,000 people homeless, officials said on Sunday. Hundreds of people are still missing.

WFP said it has sent a first batch of emergency food assistance which will provide flood victims in the southern region of North Korea with an initial ration of 400 grams (0.88 pound) of maize per day for two weeks. More batches are expected to be sent later this month, followed by a comprehensive assessment next month to determine the food situation and prospects for local food production.

Earlier this week, the United Nations (UN) Country Team in North Korea said victims in the counties most affected by the flood require immediate food assistance. UN assessment missions have observed flood damages in maize, soy bean and rice fields, but the extent of the damage is unclear.

On Saturday, the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) confirmed the floods in recent weeks have killed at least 169 people, injured 144 and left around 400 others missing. It is estimated some 8,600 houses were destroyed while nearly 44,000 houses were flooded, leaving more than 212,200 people homeless.

The most affected counties are believed to be Anju City and Songchon in South Pyongan Province, and Chonnae in Kangwon province. The flooding also destroyed water supply systems, making access to clean water difficult for the affected residents. Drainage networks and power supply systems have also been destroyed in the flood-hit region.

Last month's flooding was the result of tropical storm Khanun and torrential rains which hit the impoverished nation just days later, worsening the flood situation. KCNA initially said 88 people were killed by Khanun and 31 by the rains which followed on July 29, but the overall death toll was increased to 169 on Saturday.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-08-06

Maybe they could get some extra rations from their rather round, healthy and well fed looking new leader. I am sure that would go along way to feeding a few more of his subject that go without a lot of things so that the regime can prospur. But no. We, the world community, will pick up the tab for him. sad.png