Lone Gunman Kills 6 At Sikh Temple In Wisconsin

News_Editor

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are over half a million Sikhs living in the US,

Not unless they have multipied like rabbits in the last 5 years. "Poor education" does not seem to be limited to people who do not know what Sikhs are.

In 2007, there were estimated to be approximately 250,000 Sikhs living in the United States

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

Edited by Ulysses G.

In the past few years, there has been a large influx of people from the Indian sub-continent. I don't know how many are Sikhs, though. A lot of them are working in places like Silicon Valley and other high tech firms.

Edited by Credo

There are over half a million Sikhs living in the US,

Not unless they have multipied like rabbits in the last 5 years. "Poor education" does not seem to be limited to people who do not know what Sikhs are.

In 2007, there were estimated to be approximately 250,000 Sikhs living in the United States

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

And you know what wikipedia is and how it works?

In the past few years, there has been a large influx of people from the Indian sub-continent. I don't know how many are Sikhs, though. A lot of them are working in places like Silicon Valley and other high tech firms.

Yes that is true and no offense meant but in Silicon Valley Sikhs specifically are known largely for dominating the taxi driving profession. Not very many Sikhs in high tech jobs in the Valley. Sorry but that's the truth. Edited by Jingthing

The idiot

You got that right. thumbsup.gif At least he is no more.

Which idiot? Romney is still around. He just finished and overseas trip.

The other idiot most likely knew the difference between a Shiek and Sikh.

Who's Romney?

Don't waste any time learning what a Romney soon. Quite soon such knowledge will be as useless as knowing what a Dukakis is.

Yes that is true and no offense meant but in Silicon Valley Sikhs specifically are known largely for dominating the taxi driving profession. Not very many Sikhs in high tech jobs in the Valley. Sorry but that's the truth.

Source?

Yes that is true and no offense meant but in Silicon Valley Sikhs specifically are known largely for dominating the taxi driving profession. Not very many Sikhs in high tech jobs in the Valley. Sorry but that's the truth.

Source?

Personal experience. Not talking Indians. Talking Sikhs.

http://www.metroacti...sikhs-0345.html

OK, I will say if they weren't wearing the turban, you generally wouldn't know whether they were Sikh or not. I guess I'm talking about visible Sikhs.

Edited by Jingthing

Well I think whether the lunatic acted alone or not this attack should be classified as an attack by an angry right wing racist, even this supposed hate site records it as such, however a cursory look at the stats puts it in perspective before witch hunts ensue.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

No worry. Someone will come and explain this killing just as the act of an alcoholic. What means this incident will not spoil your statistics that show that only Muslims are terrorists.

No, alcoholic or not, the manifestation of murder based on some racial or religion counts as a hate crime imho. As a side note the number two offender in the U.S government stats is Maoists and anarchists, not the KKK or their like.

Edited by Steely Dan

The U.S. Census Bureau does not ask Americans about their religious affiliation? So then there would no accurate.

Source?

Personal experience. Not talking Indians. Talking Sikhs.

http://www.metroacti...sikhs-0345.html

OK, I will say if they weren't wearing the turban, you generally wouldn't know whether they were Sikh or not. I guess I'm talking about visible Sikhs.

What a pathetic comment. You do realise most westernised Sikhs don't even wear turbans don't you? My grandfather still does but it's only really his generation that does, most westernised ones don't. Your comment is like saying all Muslims with a bushy beard akin to one donned by say a radical cleric are not to be trusted. It's ironic that we are discussing misinterpreting ones religious affinity based on physical appearance and here we have BM's doing the same thing. ROFL

The stupidity of some of the comments in here is beyond belief, but I'm starting to understand now how clueless some people are when attempting to discuss ethnic groups. As yet I am un clear as to if the level of intelligence demonstrated here is limited to the US alone or other parts of the western world. I have family in Canada, Dubai, Australia and Sweden and I'm pretty confident most people there with some level of intelligence could distinguish a turban wearing Sikh from a muslim.

I think some people here need to stick to whinging about expat life in Thailand and move on from this topic.

Edited by wellred
  • Like 1

Sorry if I offended you. In my experience, the vast majority of Sikh immigration to America is rather recent and I wouldn't call the Sikh community in America westernized. I still think most wear the turban still in America. Don't assume it's the same as in the UK with its colonial history with India. If I'm wrong or ignorant, sorry.

If you're accusing me of not knowing that Sikhs are not Muslims, you're barking up the wrong tree.

A short doc about Sikhs facing discrimination in America:

http://www.slate.com...evin_b_lee.html

Edited by Jingthing

Anyone who thinks this wasn't a racially motivated attack needs a slap in the face and I'd be happy to hand it out.

Maybe he was targetting Sikhs, maybe he was targetting Muslims. In any case no ethnic group should be targeted in such a manner. This wouldn't be the first time Sikhs have been tatgetted by those thinking they were Muslims.

After 9/11 a Silkh guy was killed somewhere in America, think his name was Balbir Singh. And after the 7/11 London bombings 2 Gurdwaras in Kent and Leeds were firebombed.

Overall a little education is in order here and I'm not just talking about nut jobs with too much time on their hands like this chap but at the highest level. I'm sure it can't have helped that Mitt Romney referred to them as "sheikhs" twice. I mean no offence to Americans but is this guy a complete imbecile in the mould of Bush jnr?

It's not only America though. I'm a British born Sikh and although I don't wear a turban I know in some parts of the UK turban wearing Sikh men can be mistaken for being Muslim. I just hope this remains an isolated attack and not the start of something bigger.

Ahh so you want to play the blame game. Air India Flight 182. Does it ring a bell? A Sihk group planted the bomb on the B747 that killed 329 people off the coast of Ireland. Inderjit Singh Reyat pled guilty to manslaughter in the deaths of 329 people aboard and was convicted in the deaths two baggage handlers at NRT who were killed when a bomb-laden suitcase meant for another Air India plane exploded prematurely. Other implicated parties were hidden by the Sikh community. Does this incident mean that all Sikhs in Canada are terrorists? Sikhs regularly attack and shoot each other at their Temples in British Columbia. These temples also serve as the center point for militant groups that agitate against the government of India. Does this mean that Sikh temples should be closed because they are frequently associated with violence? Just as one should not consider all Sikhs to be violent terrorists, it is inappropriate to use an isolated case of a mentally ill man that went on a killing rampage to moan about racism. Nutters go beserk in churches, in shopping malls and on the street. In this case it was a Sikh temple. I am not downplaying the tragedy, but this need to label everything a hate crime is tiresome. What is so difficult to accept that the man was a mental deficient and that he picked a target that would make the biggest sensation? Is there any evidence that he was screaming out hatred at the victims? Usually, when there is a hate crime that targets an ethnic group the perpatrators want people to know what they are doing as they genuinely think they are making a statement. In this case there was no manifesto left, no statement that he was atttacking this group of people to further his screwed up cause. It is far too easy to label this a hate crime and to have a nice tidy end of the matter. It's a lot messier than than that, and dealing with the social issues and the reasons as to why this man was allegedly affiliated with racist groups. This is the case of a mentally ill man that as part of his mental illness associated with a racist view. He had no record of deviancy until he fell deep into the grip of his alcoholism.