Downtown ‘Death Hotel’ Dies In 4 Minute Video

george

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never mind all the asbestos dust flying into the wind and to other areas. Why stop the deaths at The Downtown Inn when they can slowly kill many others nearby.

Like they do with similar demolitions in Singapore. By encasing the building in scaffolding and putting a protective cover around the building to minimize any potential dust from blowing straight into the surrounding residential area and demolishing the building from within. Seems that this was not high on the list of priorities in this case as cost was more important that safety. Surprise surprise.

Given this story from last week, you might reconsider wanting to emulate Singapore when it comes to demolitions. See: http://www.asiaone.c...802-363038.html wink.png

pic5.jpg

Not at all. In fact you probably couldnt have made a worse and more irrelevant comparison if you tried. That was an accident and not the willful disregard for the immediate environment like in the Chiang Mai building. That really was a desperate attempt, but as a self admitted obsessive I understand why you needed to attempt it. If you see the accompanying pictures in your example you can see the blue cover around the building to protect the neighbouring area from dust that the Thais obviously didnt want to bother investing in for the Downtown demolision. Like I said, its sad that money so often is more important than safety in this part of the world.

Thanks for reinforcing my point with examples and photographs though. Much appreciated.

Sorry to 'rain on your parade' but the blue covering is on an adjacent (10 storey) building and not the one being demolished. If you study the pictures of the collapsed (3 storey) car park there is no evidence of blue sheeting amongst the debris. As for the use of the blue sheeting, well I'm not a demolition expert (and obviously neither are you) but if that building with the sheets was to be demolished by implosion then the scaffolding and sheeting would be destroyed along with the building. I suspect that what we're seeing is the sheeting put up to protect the workers and building during construction and not the reverse.

It's also simple physics that the combined energy in a demolition explosion/implosion coupled with the kinetic energy of the falling building is bound to displace huge quantities of dust and debris and to even imagine this can be contained within the perimeter of the site is pure wishful thinking.

Yeah it was pretty cool but I agree........ 1 month? Wow what a costly demolition. I was gonna say back home it would have just taked a few hours inside of an 8 hour shift.

I am sure it cost a heck of a lot less to do the demolition and clean up this way here.

But at what cost to the neighbouring residences in terms of dust (some of it toxic) settling in neighbours houses where children play for a whole month. Guess to some people cost is more important than safety. Especially in this part of the world.

True I hope they carefully removed the asbestos prior. The video doesn't show any water spraying to reduce the dust and address health issues to those living around the area.

Two things

1 you didn't watch the video there was very little in the way of dust clouds and it was a one month job not a 4 minute job there was days when they did not even wok. also it shows n the video a man spraying it down with a hose.

2 You did not read my post 52 I watched out of my open window in the same building the pictures were taken from.

When you and Kananga post obviously false information 1 you know it to be false and don't care or two you see a headline and ignore any comments on it just post on what the headline says. Being as this is Thai Visa I believe in the second option.

@ hellodolly - What false information did I post? was it when I said I hoped they removed asbestos prior? Ok I will change that for you, I hope they left all asbestos in the building prior. And I will change my observations to not seeing water being sprayed to I did see. Ok now my thoughts are no longer false and are the same as yours. Next time I will p.m you prior to posting for your approving so that we think the same.

True I hope they carefully removed the asbestos prior. The video doesn't show any water spraying to reduce the dust and address health issues to those living around the area.

@ hellodolly - What false information did I post? was it when I said I hoped they removed asbestos prior? Ok I will change that for you, I hope they left all asbestos in the building prior. And I will change my observations to not seeing water being sprayed to I did see. Ok now my thoughts are no longer false and are the same as yours. Next time I will p.m you prior to posting for your approving so that we think the same.

If you didn't see water being sprayed, despite numerous comments on this thread about the water in the video, then you probably aren't really even interested in this topic ... not to mention you stated as fact water was not sprayed and are being a bit dishonest now in saying you stated your observation.

And what asbestos are you speaking about?

If you didn't see water being sprayed, despite numerous comments on this thread about the water in the video, then you probably aren't really even interested in this topic ... not to mention you stated as fact water was not sprayed and are being a bit dishonest now in saying you stated your observation.

And what asbestos are you speaking about?

Well I am truelly sorry to you also that I didn't see it. Please accept my humble appologies. To everyone I didn't see I am sorry How many times do I have to say sorry. I am sorry I am sorry sorry sorry sorry I didn't see what you saw. I am sorry NISA. Why on earth do you have to nit pic everyones coments are you a bloody troll just trying to torment people. I said I changed my thoughts to coincide with the other posters for the sake of peace and to appologise. Gees let it go woman.

• Like 1

Like they do with similar demolitions in Singapore. By encasing the building in scaffolding and putting a protective cover around the building to minimize any potential dust from blowing straight into the surrounding residential area and demolishing the building from within. Seems that this was not high on the list of priorities in this case as cost was more important that safety. Surprise surprise.

Given this story from last week, you might reconsider wanting to emulate Singapore when it comes to demolitions. See: http://www.asiaone.c...802-363038.html wink.png

pic5.jpg

Not at all. In fact you probably couldnt have made a worse and more irrelevant comparison if you tried. That was an accident and not the willful disregard for the immediate environment like in the Chiang Mai building. That really was a desperate attempt, but as a self admitted obsessive I understand why you needed to attempt it. If you see the accompanying pictures in your example you can see the blue cover around the building to protect the neighbouring area from dust that the Thais obviously didnt want to bother investing in for the Downtown demolision. Like I said, its sad that money so often is more important than safety in this part of the world.

Thanks for reinforcing my point with examples and photographs though. Much appreciated.

Sorry to 'rain on your parade' but the blue covering is on an adjacent (10 storey) building and not the one being demolished. If you study the pictures of the collapsed (3 storey) car park there is no evidence of blue sheeting amongst the debris. As for the use of the blue sheeting, well I'm not a demolition expert (and obviously neither are you) but if that building with the sheets was to be demolished by implosion then the scaffolding and sheeting would be destroyed along with the building. I suspect that what we're seeing is the sheeting put up to protect the workers and building during construction and not the reverse.

It's also simple physics that the combined energy in a demolition explosion/implosion coupled with the kinetic energy of the falling building is bound to displace huge quantities of dust and debris and to even imagine this can be contained within the perimeter of the site is pure wishful thinking.

I am not sure when the blue sheeting is used in Singapore but can say I have seen a number of demolitions in Singapore and they were all manual and all using the same method used in the OP video. Did a quick search trying to find info online but only came up with images of theirdemo-ing their their stadium a year or two ago.

3C3148AB4FA2BAAC28AAA7809CDFAF.jpg

national-stadium-implosion.jpg?w=450&h=300

Using another posters words, It would appear "cost was more important than safety" for the Singaporeans in this case and it is "sad that money so often is more important than safety in this part of the world" wink.png

Edited by Nisa

pic5.jpg

I am not sure when the blue sheeting is used in Singapore but can say I have seen a number of demolitions in Singapore and they were all manual and all using the same method used in the OP video. Did a quick search trying to find info online but only came up with images of theirdemo-ing their their stadium a year or two ago.

3C3148AB4FA2BAAC28AAA7809CDFAF.jpg

national-stadium-implosion.jpg?w=450&h=300

Using another posters words, It would appear "cost was more important than safety" for the Singaporeans in this case and it is "sad that money so often is more important than safety in this part of the world" wink.png

Absolutely, so thanks for reinforcing that statement yet again.

My point was you did not watch the video and you did not read the posts. You just saw a headline and replied to it. I see you have been a member of this forum for a year and a half. If you had been reading the articles and replies to them you would know that quite often the title has nothing to do with reality.

My point was you did not watch the video and you did not read the posts. You just saw a headline and replied to it. I see you have been a member of this forum for a year and a half. If you had been reading the articles and replies to them you would know that quite often the title has nothing to do with reality.

Quite often the article has nothing to do with reality.

Edited by ttelise

I am sorry again I did not read every single post, When there are numerous pages on some topics it would take days to read every single post and I like some do not have the time. I generally read the story and have found if you get to involved reading all the posts they generally go way of topic anyway. I did watch the video but if I missed something that you saw then I am sorry again. It was never my intention to offend you or upset you. You have my deepest apologies.