MrZM

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ocean.jpg

Forgive the silly question but is that the original picture or did you add the arabic prices in yellow? I have never seen a price sign like that anywhere in Thailand. The ones I have seen show the Thai script with Thai numerals and the English script with Arabic numerals. Admittedly, I have not been everywhere in Thailand.

ocean.jpg

Forgive the silly question but is that the original picture or did you add the arabic prices in yellow? I have never seen a price sign like that anywhere in Thailand. The ones I have seen show the Thai script with Thai numerals and the English script with Arabic numerals. Admittedly, I have not been everywhere in Thailand.

I found that photo on google.

Someone apparently added the yellow numbers to show the difference.

i really dont see the big issue. This is widely done and accepted in the usa. Examples state and county parks [golf courses] in florida. Also disney and universal studios just to name a few.

When posting about the USA please provide full information. Your post brushes over the details and could mislead people to believe that Thailand and the USA are on the same page with views on double pricing.

The USA tends to operate on a resident/non-resident basis. If you are a resident of a certain area then you get the local resident price. No big deal, just show your driver's license and pay the local price. Additionally, the non-local price, as far as I know, is not a multiple of the local price. As an example, the San Francisco Zoo charges $15 for non-resident adults and $12 for resident adults. There are also local prices in Hawaii, Disney World and others which just require the showing of a local ID and the price is given.

I could go on and on about double pricing in Thailand with numbers pulled out of the air by vendors trying to charge whatever they want because the person does not look Thai but I am too lazy. thumbsup.gif

The USA tends to operate on a resident/non-resident basis. If you are a resident of a certain area then you get the local resident price. No big deal, just show your driver's license and pay the local price. Additionally, the non-local price, as far as I know, is not a multiple of the local price.

it is a multiple and it's real big $$$ when looking at Orlando's Disneyland, Universal Studios, Seaworld, etc. i was a Central Florida resident for 15 years and i know what my price for the tickets were and what our visitors had to pay.

i am talking of a time more than a decade ago, e.g. when a FL resident had to pay $25.- and a visitor from abroad $80.-

I could go on and on about double pricing in Thailand with numbers pulled out of the air by vendors trying to charge whatever they want because the person does not look Thai but I am too lazy. thumbsup.gif

It doesn't really matter. The point is that double pricing goes on all over the world and it's nothing to get one's nose bent out of shape over. I think the problem here is that some married resident Farang are getting upset over it as they're feeling slighted.

I suppose if they have families and like to visit the parks often then it would be annoying, but for the majority of expats who hardly ever visit national parks, it's of no real consequence.

I could go on and on about double pricing in Thailand with numbers pulled out of the air by vendors trying to charge whatever they want because the person does not look Thai but I am too lazy.

and i could go on about double pricing in the U.S. of A. when you called an electrician who advertised in the Penny Saver that he will install any outlet (electrical, cable, whatever) for a flat $29.95, then sees the rather luxurious home of a foreigner and triples his price.

i'm not saying that there is no double pricing in Thailand. a couple of months ago i needed gardening service. had a gardening company sent to my home by one of the TV-moderators and another one by a TV-member. the asking price of one was 12,000 the other one (whom i then hired) was 4,000 Baht a month.

i'm not saying that there is no double pricing in Thailand. a couple of months ago i needed gardening service. had a gardening company sent to my home by one of the TV-moderators and another one by a TV-member. the asking price of one was 12,000 the other one (whom i then hired) was 4,000 Baht a month.

LOL. My electrician's bills always come in multiples of 500 and 1000 baht. I don't really care because I'm only renting and he comes quickly when anything needs to be done. My water deliverer gets here in less than an hour if I need him... he rounds everything to 500 baht too... as does the septic emptying service. No receipts and 500 per tank.

At least I get prompt service which makes up for a few extra hundred baht here and there (or thousand in the case of the electrician).

Edited by tropo

The USA tends to operate on a resident/non-resident basis. If you are a resident of a certain area then you get the local resident price. No big deal, just show your driver's license and pay the local price. Additionally, the non-local price, as far as I know, is not a multiple of the local price.

it is a multiple and it's real big $$$ when looking at Orlando's Disneyland, Universal Studios, Seaworld, etc. i was a Central Florida resident for 15 years and i know what my price for the tickets were and what our visitors had to pay.

i am talking of a time more than a decade ago, e.g. when a FL resident had to pay $25.- and a visitor from abroad $80.-

In the USA, residents sometimes get a discount to an attraction as part of the attractions original planning/approval process.

Traffic etc. will cause an inconvenience to locals so a discount program is offered as mitigation when submitting plans to build.

Ocean World in Bangkok puts the Thai price in Thai script.

Is that racism, discrimination or just a scam?

Actually they offer a discount to Thais AND expats but show it only in Thai script to stop tourists complaining.

The normal price is already a very good price to see sharks and penguins but there are always some tourists who go on holiday to find things to moan about rather than enjoy themselves.

The discounted price for Thais (and expats) makes it more accessible to poorer local families as well.

They also discriminate against adults, as children pay lower prices. Whatever next?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

B.S.

The price used to be the same, then one day the tricky sign went up to gouge the tourists.

National Parks or other places supported by Thai taxes should ask foreigners for more but not the Siam Paragon.

What other business' in the Paragon are scamming their customers I wonder?

People always have to bring out the racist card to explain everything and it gets very old. If the double pricing is a Thai/non-Thai thing, what does that have to do with racism. It's nationalism, isn't it? Or more to the point, grabbing as much as they can from non-residents.

You may not like it, but it's not racism.

Some of us are worried about using the word racism because we relate it in our minds to maybe more extreme stereotypical events but really at the end of the day treating groups people differently because of how they look and attaching a certain stigma to that look (white skin = more money for example) is just racism. In Thailand I agree it is not as extreme and probably not through that much intention, maybe racism through ignorance rather than intention. End of the day most Thais don't even know about the Vietnam war, a war that benefited and shaped Thailand a great deal there after thanks to the Americans bringing industry and tourism. Most couldn't even point out Singapore on a map. So my point is this racism is out of ignorance in my opinion. Is that as bad as intentional....?........not quite as bad but close.

Healthy debate always good for the mind

Well you don't seem to have problems using the racism word. The more you use it the less powerful it becomes.

And what has not being able to point Singapore on a map to do with racism ?

Now tell me honestly what about a group of japanese tourists in the west, London, Paris, Amsterdam. Are they not getting fleeced ?

Is that racism or an easy target ?

Oh and a healthy debate, isn't that opening one's mind to other ideas ?

OK one more time, double pricing is not racism.

Yermaneewai.gif

Hi,

I wasn't originally going to react to your post there but the more I read it the more I felt the urge to reply.

I think apart from your point about the Japanese tourists (which I agree is a good point) literally everything else you have said I can only assume is as a result of you not reading my original post properly or somehow not understanding it.

Yes I have been using the word racism alot...............and ??? what is your point, surely your not going to try the cheap point and somehow say that makes me racist. Go on please make us all laugh !! If not what is your point.

In regards to the Singapore point, well you were clearly not reading. Sorry to sound like a teacher but go back and read it again. You will see that my Singapore example is in connection to my explanation of why Thai people are ignorant. It had nothing to do with my racism point.

And as far as your debate point goes. Cheap i'm afraid and again what is your point. Like anyone else I come on here to offer my opinion. At no point do I say I am 100% correct. I read every view. Just because I don't concede to them doesn't mean I'm not prepared to listen to other ideas.

All in all a poor effort but good try !

Edited by rinteln

i really dont see the big issue. This is widely done and accepted in the usa. Examples state and county parks [golf courses] in florida. Also disney and universal studios just to name a few.

When posting about the USA please provide full information. Your post brushes over the details and could mislead people to believe that Thailand and the USA are on the same page with views on double pricing.

The USA tends to operate on a resident/non-resident basis. If you are a resident of a certain area then you get the local resident price. No big deal, just show your driver's license and pay the local price. Additionally, the non-local price, as far as I know, is not a multiple of the local price. As an example, the San Francisco Zoo charges $15 for non-resident adults and $12 for resident adults. There are also local prices in Hawaii, Disney World and others which just require the showing of a local ID and the price is given.

I have to disagree. You can discount for any reason.you choose. You obviously dont seem do get it. Discount to certain people is good business. Marriot use to operate many food concession on various turnpikes on the east coast. If you had a cdl they would discount the drivers. Many shops in malls discount to employees of other malk shops.

the navy hospital in bkk near victory monument has a mcdonalds down stairs. They discount to employees with hospital ids. A private business can discount to whoever they choose thats their right.

Actually they offer a discount to Thais AND expats but show it only in Thai script to stop tourists complaining.

The normal price is already a very good price to see sharks and penguins but there are always some tourists who go on holiday to find things to moan about rather than enjoy themselves.

The discounted price for Thais (and expats) makes it more accessible to poorer local families as well.

They also discriminate against adults, as children pay lower prices. Whatever next?

B.S.

The price used to be the same, then one day the tricky sign went up to gouge the tourists.

National Parks or other places supported by Thai taxes should ask foreigners for more but not the Siam Paragon.

If you consider offering a discount to local residents to be "scamming" and that the existence of such a discount represents a "gouge" on the customers paying normal price (a very reasonable price for a highly rated attraction), you must be using a different version of the English language to me.

Do you really believe all discount programmes offering lower prices to groups with on average lower spend power to be a scam? Are you also opposed to discounts for children, students and the old aged pensioners? Do businesses offering discounts on for people who book in advance also upset you?

You state that companies subsidised by the taxpayers should be allowed to set their prices freely but what about purely private enterprise? Are you saying those businesses should price at cost? Are you opposed to return on capital / profit maximisation / entrepreneurship?

Please could you also tell us about some countries where price discrimination is not common business practice? (excluding communist countries such as North Korea of course).

• Like 1

B.S.

If you consider offering a discount to local residents to be "scamming" and that the existence of such a discount represents a "gouge" on the customers paying normal price (a very reasonable price for a highly rated attraction), you must be using a different version of the English language to me.

Do you really believe all discount programmes offering lower prices to groups with on average lower spend power to be a scam? Are you also opposed to discounts for children, students and the old aged pensioners? Do businesses offering discounts on for people who book in advance also upset you?

You state that companies subsidised by the taxpayers should be allowed to set their prices freely but what about purely private enterprise? Are you saying those businesses should price at cost? Are you opposed to return on capital / profit maximisation / entrepreneurship?

Please could you also tell us about some countries where price discrimination is not common business practice? (excluding communist countries such as North Korea of course).

It's not a discount. They jacked up the price for farangs then put up that new sign.

Just don't be a sleaze-ball about it and try to trick the farangs/visitors/guests by hiding the original the price in Thai script like the Siam Ocean World does.

The manager is just another shameless scammer preying on tourists.

Edited by pauljones

I fully agree that in most all cases it's pure racism. That I speak Thai and look a bit Thai I get off without too much hassle on the dual pricing compared to others I see posting. The fact remains is that's how they are and it seems to be quite accepted behavior in this country. It wasn't that long ago that interracial marriages were seriously frowned upon in this country. Things are changing. Maybe just not as fast as we are used to in more western countries.

People always have to bring out the racist card to explain everything and it gets very old. If the double pricing is a Thai/non-Thai thing, what does that have to do with racism. It's nationalism, isn't it? Or more to the point, grabbing as much as they can from non-residents.

You may not like it, but it's not racism.

Yes if it was about the nationality then I would agree but as I mentioned earlier I don't think it is. It is how you look. Again I think too much credit is being given to Thais if you suggest they have means and ways to distinguish nationalities in markets, attractions and government sites. Cambodians, Loas and even some Malaysians could easily get through some of these attractions (unless of course they stood out as tourists). Even if the added criteria is that they speak Thai then that doesn't work. I have met loads of people that are not Thai who can speak it. Funny enough I'm actually training now in Singapore with a Singaporean guy who speaks fluent Thai as he worked in Hat Yai for years. He would have no problem getting Thai prices at markets and attractions but he is Singaporean.

My best friend has a Loas girlfriend who never pays more for anything. She looks and sounds like an Isaan girl. Basically apart from the visa status she lives here as if she was a Thai. They have been to attractions, water parks, palaces. She has never paid more.

So again if it were about nationality then yes totally agree it would not be racism and in my book would be justified but it isn't i'm afraid.

Some of us are worried about using the word racism because we relate it in our minds to maybe more extreme stereotypical events but really at the end of the day treating groups people differently because of how they look and attaching a certain stigma to that look (white skin = more money for example) is just racism. In Thailand I agree it is not as extreme and probably not through that much intention, maybe racism through ignorance rather than intention. End of the day most Thais don't even know about the Vietnam war, a war that benefited and shaped Thailand a great deal there after thanks to the Americans bringing industry and tourism. Most couldn't even point out Singapore on a map. So my point is this racism is out of ignorance in my opinion. Is that as bad as intentional....?........not quite as bad but close.

Healthy debate always good for the mind

I disagree. Just because a Thai is using a person's looks to determine if they are Thai or not does not add up to racism. The term "racism" should be struck from the dictionary because it is far too vague to be of any use. The world is a bigger place now where the concept of races is meaningless.

Do you believe a Thai could not distinguish a Japanese or Korean person from a Thai person? My Filipino wife does NOT get Thai prices if she opens her mouth. When she is shopping at markets she tries not to talk in order to get better prices.The same would be true for any SE Asian (eg from Malaysia) who spoke English.

I lived in South Africa during the peak apartheid years of the early to mid-70's. They had big problems classifying Indians and Chinese.

In Thailand it's all about nationality. Are you Thai or are you not? Thais dislike many of their immediate neighbours. They had wars with them in the past.

Give up the term. It's clouding your judgement and accusing Thais of "wrongdoing" they're not guilty of. It's all about business and making the most they can. You may not condone their methods, but that's how it is. They have more freedom to be what you would call "unfair" here.

Many people came to Thailand because they prefered more freedom over their restrictive home countries. When this freedom goes against them they start to complain. It's trivial really. If the extra cost bothers someone they can just avoid the service. How many times do most expats go to a national park? Do you have to go more than once?

Hi,

I agree with you on your last paragraph. Yes in a way the freedom is what makes places like Thailand enjoyable. For me subjects like this are more about the discussion, debate and the moral of it rather than actually being upset by it. Please dont confuse my passion with words as being upset.

The point here for me is whether the division is decided and practiced through nationality/residency or whether it is decided/practiced through the appearance of an individual. In my opinion the double pricing that occurs in Thailand is practiced through the appearance of an individual. When the appearance is obviosuly not a Thai national a stigma or stereotype of wealth and status is then associated with that person and thus the price decided on that, by instinct.

"In Thailand it's all about nationality. Are you Thai or are you not? Thais dislike many of their immediate neighbours. They had wars with them in the past"

I think you are right if Thais really knew but again you are really are giving so much intelligent credit to these people. How many Thais know their neighbouring countries ! I doubt many would get past the immediate ones. Even then only knowing the country's name. How many care or know any history of their neighbours. I know this is not really related to the bigger subject but as you mentioned it I thought I would reply.

smile.png

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

It's not a discount. They jacked up the price for farangs then put up that new sign.

Just don't be a sleaze-ball about it and try to trick the farangs/visitors/guests by hiding the original the price in Thai script like the Siam Ocean World does.

It is normal business practice (not a scam) to increase prices from time-to-time (this is called inflation). Often (as with Oceanworld) these increases are made in one-off steps rather than daily adjustments of the menu.

It is also normal business practice (not a scam) to offer discounted prices to groups with lower average spending power. Such discounts generally (as with Oceanworld) broaden access to products / services for lower income groups.

It is also normal business practice (not to scam) to inform only the group eligible for the discount about the discount (e.g. many restaurants publish discount coupons in local newspapers but obviously don't adjust their menu and prices for everyone without the coupon too).

There is no point informing customers about all discounts / offers / promotions for which they are not eligible, other than to upset the more miserable ones (which would potentially be funny but not good business sense).

Oceanworld is maximising it's profit and to achieve this (as with most entrepreneurial endeavours) it is best satisfying the desire of its customer base. Tourists and locals can both see a great attraction at a great price (both of which groups choose to provide their custom with full knowledge of the price they pay as they pay before entering the attraction).

A scam is when a person or business defrauds another person or business, for example by not providing accurate information on the price to be paid or the product / service to be delivered. Oceanworld is not a scam.

• Like 2

It is normal business practice (not a scam) to increase prices from time-to-time (this is called inflation). Often (as with Oceanworld) these increases are made in one-off steps rather than daily adjustments of the menu.

It is also normal business practice (not a scam) to offer discounted prices to groups with lower average spending power. Such discounts generally (as with Oceanworld) broaden access to products / services for lower income groups.

It is also normal business practice (not to scam) to inform only the group eligible for the discount about the discount (e.g. many restaurants publish discount coupons in local newspapers but obviously don't adjust their menu and prices for everyone without the coupon too).

There is no point informing customers about all discounts / offers / promotions for which they are not eligible, other than to upset the more miserable ones (which would potentially be funny but not good business sense).

Oceanworld is maximising it's profit and to achieve this (as with most entrepreneurial endeavours) it is best satisfying the desire of its customer base. Tourists and locals can both see a great attraction at a great price (both of which groups choose to provide their custom with full knowledge of the price they pay as they pay before entering the attraction).

A scam is when a person or business defrauds another person or business, for example by not providing accurate information on the price to be paid or the product / service to be delivered. Oceanworld is not a scam.

Most Thais don't see it as any form of double pricing, they just see it as them getting a discount which is part of Thai daily life.

Perhaps the attraction operators know that with the Thais being by far their biggest market, if they offer a sensible discount then they will have steady year round custom as opposed to the seasonal influenced market of the foreign tourist.

The attraction operators may also feel justified in charging a different price for foreigners because employing staff that can communicate in languages other than Thai costs more.

People are wrong to scream racisim, scam etc. every time they see two prices listed, if that were the case then why is it that 99 times out of 100 a quick flash of a Thai driving licence or a work permit gets the holder the same discounted price, producing these items does not change the colour of your skin or where you come from!.

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 2

I have to disagree. You can discount for any reason.you choose. You obviously dont seem do get it. Discount to certain people is good business. Marriot use to operate many food concession on various turnpikes on the east coast. If you had a cdl they would discount the drivers. Many shops in malls discount to employees of other malk shops.

the navy hospital in bkk near victory monument has a mcdonalds down stairs. They discount to employees with hospital ids. A private business can discount to whoever they choose thats their right.

Sorry, but I do get it and I thank you for confirming my post. As I said earlier local prices are given to people who can prove residency of the area. Or as you say employees, holders of a cdl (which implies a local) can be eligible for the discount/local price. The underlying point of where discounts are given are not based on nationality but on some other marker (residency, military, employee etc). That is the difference between Thailand and the USA. Thailand seems to operate on a "you look Thai, so this is your price and you do not look Thai so I will charge you more" while the USA operates on a "show me some proof (driver's license, employee badge, student id etc) and you will get your discount." That is what ticks people off in Thailand when at seemingly every turn you are being charged more for goods and services. I know, someone will say that they can show their driver's license and get the Thai price, or present their tax reports and another will come back and say that it does not happen all the time and the price is really up to the whim of the cashier at the window.

You mentioned the $25/$80 previous price of Disney World(?) I did not know that and I stand corrected.

Someone mentioned electricians? I believe that type of work has always been based on flexible pricing and all people of all countries are eligible to be charged a higher price.

You mentioned the $25/$80 previous price of Disney World(?) I did not know that and I stand corrected.

Someone mentioned electricians? I believe that type of work has always been based on flexible pricing and all people of all countries are eligible to be charged a higher price.

You're getting confused. Naam was the one who mentioned Disney World. I mentioned electricians. The point was that I'm being charged extra because I'm not Thai... however I do get much quicker service. If I quibbled over the price too much he would stop coming around.

I see that the issue of dual pricing has been raised yet again. Do people not realise how much money this practice saves ex-pats and tourists? I never take any of my foreign visitors to places that practice dual pricing. My wife's family, father, mother, sister, brother-in-law, nephews and nieces have never been to any of these places either. There are two reasons for this. One, they cannot afford to travel and visit such places without me. When I have taken them they refuse to allow me to pay the Thai price for them as they object to me having to pay more as a foreigner, even one married to a Thai and living here for eleven years.

So, rather than complain about the short-sightedness of the practice, just be grateful that it saves money. Of course, the corollary to this is that those places practising dual-pricing lose money and gain a bad reputation.

Why not just get a Thai DL then problem solved and your Thai family will be able to enjoy some of the nice places to visit? Can you say which places you took your Thai family where you refused to pay and they lost out? I mean here in Pattaya.

Not true anymore. A lot of places, f.e. national parks no longer accept a thai dl. You must show a thai id to get the lower price. So I won't bother going or taking guests to those places. The sad thing is that the thais do not understand how much money they actually lose in this.

Can you explain what you mean? True, state park or country parks/ beaches may charge an outsider more because they did not contribute to the local tax which supports the park or beach. In Thailand, 25 % of my salary goes to taxes in Thailand but I still have to pay more in their natiional parks. If a Thai or any other nationality goes to purchase a membership at a fitness club in the USA, it will be the same for the "foreigner" as the American. I think we are comparing apples and oranges.

If you are paying Thai Taxes and not getting the Thai price IT'S YOUR FAULT. I show my Thai drivers license or ,on few occasions, my Work permit and ALWAYS get the same price as my Thai Wife....

Well next time you are in Bangkok try Lumpini Stadium with you driving license... They will explain to you where you can put your license or WP.

And in that case it is not a few percent you paying more. A Thai pays something about 200 THB, if you are a foreigner you pay minimum 1000 THB up to 2000 THB.

They clearly explain to you, that it doesn't matter to them if you stay 20 years in Thailand, pay taxes, speak Thai or whatever.

You are a farang and you pay like a farang.

Any white immigrant with Thai citizenship tried this? Would like to know what they do when you thrust a Thai ID card in their face.

Any white immigrant with Thai citizenship tried this? Would like to know what they do when you thrust a Thai ID card in their face.

a. Let you in for the discounted price

b. or if you thrust it too hard and aggressively they may tell you to get lost.

Not true anymore. A lot of places, f.e. national parks no longer accept a thai dl. You must show a thai id to get the lower price. So I won't bother going or taking guests to those places. The sad thing is that the thais do not understand how much money they actually lose in this.

You way over estimate the importance of foreigners, the Thai market for visitors to national parks and most other attractions is probably at least 10 times that of the foreign / tourist market.

• Like 1

You're getting confused. Naam was the one who mentioned Disney World. I mentioned electricians. The point was that I'm being charged extra because I'm not Thai... however I do get much quicker service. If I quibbled over the price too much he would stop coming around.

Tropo - sorry about that.

You way over estimate the importance of foreigners, the Thai market for visitors to national parks and most other attractions is probably at least 10 times that of the foreign / tourist market.

and very few foreigners would purposefully avoid visiting the beautiful national parks just because the Thais pay afew baht less to enter

• Like 2

I simply don't go to any place that charges higher prices for farangs. Last year I went to Nong Nooch, they wanted to charge me up for farang prices, I told my girlfriend to flash my drivers license and to tell them I am a local here for 20 years. It worked, I got the Thai price however this does not work all the time especially at national Parks. A few years back I went to that Katoy show on second road, again, double pricing, I had to pay but I will never advise anyone to go there because of that, same for Koh Samet or anywhere that does this, it is blatent discrimination.

In most civilsed countries you would be up before the human rights tribunial for such discriminatory actions. Thailand has a long way to go before we are all treated like equals.

In most civilsed countries you would be up before the human rights tribunial for such discriminatory actions. Thailand has a long way to go before we are all treated like equals.

I think we've dissected this over and over in this thread, but your comment begs the question - why do you chose to live in such an uncivilised country? You've been here for 20 years and these things still upset you - and yet you chose to stay.

I simply don't go to any place that charges higher prices for farangs. Last year I went to Nong Nooch, they wanted to charge me up for farang prices, I told my girlfriend to flash my drivers license and to tell them I am a local here for 20 years. It worked, I got the Thai price however this does not work all the time especially at national Parks. A few years back I went to that Katoy show on second road, again, double pricing, I had to pay but I will never advise anyone to go there because of that, same for Koh Samet or anywhere that does this, it is blatent discrimination.

So what you are saying is.... if they don't give you any discount from the standard advertised price - you spit your dummy out?