Free Antivirus Download? - Not Avira

klikster

I've used Avira for years, but their latest version I downloaded about a week ago has too many annoyances. The 'cloud' service popup is not too bad, but they have a popup window advert that often requires 10 click attempts to close.

AVG

Sent from my HTC phone.

NEVER again.

see this search for details.

http://www.google.co...chrome&ie=UTF-8

AVG has been making some very poor business decisions of late.

i like AVAST or simply security essentials

I had to rebuild my laptop last week because of a hard disk meltdown.

I noticed that a lot of freeware had options, or sometimes you were forced (as much as choosing to install freeware is "forcing"), to install security or search toolbars. It usually took some uninstalling of said attachments and changing of settings to get things back to a normal state, usually within about 5 minutes.

Having done that, I find that AVG does the job that it is supposed to do without the hijack issues.

Are you guys only running AV or running the full suite of security that includes a FW?

I find this guy does excellent 3rd party testing on many of the security suites out there.

http://www.matousec.com/

just for shits and grins I ran a report on his results comparing avast security to comdo security

here are the results..

post-32036-0-31528500-1344308823_thumb.j

feel free to compare your favorites here....

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/archive.php

Edited by Jayman

Are you guys only running AV or running the full suite of security that includes a FW?

I find this guy does excellent 3rd party testing on many of the security suites out there.

I use dedicated programs for dedicated purposes. My antivirus is either Avast, Avira or AVG (I have several computers). My firewall is Comodo. I use several different antispyware programs: Malwarebytes Anti-malware, SuperAntispyware, Spyware Terminator, Spybot Search & Destroy (etc.) and a few other programs such as Advanced System Care (Free Edition) and CCleaner in order to clean my computers and remove other nasty or unnecessary stuff.

I use dedicated programs for dedicated purposes. My antivirus is either Avast, Avira or AVG (I have several computers). My firewall is Comodo. I use several different antispyware programs: Malwarebytes Anti-malware, SuperAntispyware, Spyware Terminator, Spybot Search & Destroy (etc.) and a few other programs such as Advanced System Care (Free Edition) and CCleaner in order to clean my computers and remove other nasty or unnecessary stuff.

I was a huge Kaspersky fan for AV then changed to Avira but after I got tired of compatibility issues and resource usage of running many separate apps I went for the bet security suite I could find which I find to be comodo. I ran the free version for awhile and even found some offers online for 6 month or 1 year free license but finally I am now a paying customer.

I also run malwarebytes on demand scans every so often to make sure things are staying clean. And ccleaner is also a must. Both of those are free and I don't keep them running all the time but only for the occasional use. Spy bot S&D is also in my toolbox but I find myself using it less and less over the years.

I also run malwarebytes on demand scans every so often to make sure things are staying clean.

Good idea. I do this once a week, the quick scan, and it's in fact my only antivir. I update it just before the scan. (The update and scan are initiated automatically via a scheduler.) But I never surf to questionable sites and am generally cautious. It's nice to get out from under the hassle of real-time protection, the daily updates, which slows things down. Malwarebytes also puts an entry in the right-click context menu so that you can scan an individual file. I do this if I've downloaded something that could be harmful.

When I used the suites, I liked Avast! except that you have to renew it once a year and I kept forgetting my activation code. Avira, you can google around for how to turn off the annoying popups. AVG, had gotten too bloated and intrusive. Comodo looks great but for some reason didn't like the machine I was trying it on.

When I used the suites, I liked Avast! except that you have to renew it once a year and I kept forgetting my activation code.

I think that happened with many people, they have removed the need for an activation code now, all you do is enter your name and email address.

When I used the suites, I liked Avast! except that you have to renew it once a year and I kept forgetting my activation code.

I think that happened with many people, they have removed the need for an activation code now, all you do is enter your name and email address.

Yep. ^ When it approaches expiration it will inform you and just need to enter name and e-mail and good for another year.

I have used most of the free packages and had no problems except with AVG. That's the only one that allowed my computer to get infected. If I were to choose a free program, it would be MS Security Essentials or Avast.

Recently I had an offer from IObit Advanced System Care with antivirus for $19.95. It is good for three computers and so far it is great. I don't know how much it will cost me next year but right now I'm sure I will pay however much it costs.

I have been using panda Cloud for the past 2 years, small download.

Love this one too. No problems. Right click to quickly scan any file. Keeps updated when online. Use in connection with free Outpost Security Sweet to scan for malware etc. Used to use the heavy duty free ones, but as they keep getting bigger, they waste space and are not any more efficient. NEVER had a virus invect the computer before these two above catch them.

After trying the free version of Advanced System Care for some time, I read GaryA's post and in a moment of great financial weakness, upgraded to the Pro Version. So far I like the suite of features in a single package.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations and comments.

I used Avira for years and swore by it. But when I had my recent problem with a stubborn virus /worm I decided to try Avast.

I find Avast better than Avira in many ways, not least of which is there are no pop out ads to kill every time it updates.

It is also less obtrusive when it runs - I have no noticeable slow down or freezing of my systems, as it used to with Avira, especially when I was watching videos at the same time as it was running a virus scan.

It also has a useful facility to run virus scans on the registry files etc in pre boot mode.

My vote is for Avast having tried both.

After trying the free version of Advanced System Care for some time, I read GaryA's post and in a moment of great financial weakness, upgraded to the Pro Version. So far I like the suite of features in a single package.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations and comments.

In addition to two desktop computers, I have a small under powered 10 inch netbook. Advanced System Care with antivirus really perked it up. It was slow enough to be irritating but it's much better now. I have used my three computer option. My wife's laptop is still using MS Security Essentials. I have turned on all the ASC notifications because I like to see what it is doing. I leave them on for five seconds. You have the option to leave them on or off and for how long they display.