Yingluck Seen As Weak, Lacking Leadership

webfact

Well that is an easy one Mick

Give me a list of all the woes that confounded Thailand at the point Yinguck and PTP came into office

Then tell me which of these items you personally feel could be eradicated in one year

Then, list the items where PTP acknowledge there is an issue to be addressed....a starting point if you like

Let me start,

Centuries of entrenched corruption, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years, or any government previously

Outdated education system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Railway inrfastructure, outdated system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Information highway, largely enhanced by the private sector, little or no input from the previous government in 2 years

Wage structure, not adequately addressed by the previous government in 2 years

Flood defences, little or nothing done by the previous government in 2 years

Just a start Mick you are welcome to add to the list of woes

But the difference is many people did not expect great improvement in the above areas from the Democrats in a short time because they are huge challenges

They were therefore not disappointed

It's not about all the long term issues that the PTP didn't fix. It's about what they said they were going to do ... and haven't.

right, so name a single promise that is not being addressed already. No one ever comes back on that because they just want to whine about how bad this government is.

Your discussion crutch is "it's not finished yet".

It's impossible to have a discussion about what might have been done better when people refuse to admit that something has actually been done.

Are you satisfied with the performance of this government?

here is a post from this thread where a raft of wild statements about this gov't were questioned. It has gone unanswered.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/575388-yingluck-seen-as-weak-lacking-leadership/page__st__25#entry5553260

When this kind of unsubstantiated slur-posting is no longer the norm, then a discussion can be had.

Regarding your question : do you really care what I think about this government? If you do, then we can talk. If you don't, then why should I spend more time on this?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right, so name a single promise that is not being addressed already. No one ever comes back on that because they just want to whine about how bad this government is.

Your discussion crutch is "it's not finished yet".

It's impossible to have a discussion about what might have been done better when people refuse to admit that something has actually been done.

It's not just about what "is being addressed". It's about whether it's working.

Clearly, the tablet promise is being addressed. How well, we're yet to see. We will see a little bit more when they deliver the final delivery of 600,000 tablets come in next week. This one is being addressed, with plenty of delays.

The minimum daily wage "is being addressed", not quite as promised, but something is happening. The question for this one is "Is the policy doing what they promised it would do?". The evidence seems to say "No". Even where the 300 baht per day has been implemented, employers are using work arounds so that the employees aren't getting correct payments. But particularly, it's not actually helping people, because prices of everything are going up ... and that's even without everyone getting the full increase as promised.

The rice pledging scheme is just so full of problems, that I don't think it's even worth discussing. It is clearly a failed policy.

But, the government were successful implementing one policy - the decrease in company tax. Score one for the poor!

edit: another one: Credit cards for taxi drivers. Addressed. With problems and complaints from taxi drivers because of poor implementation.

Edited by whybother

Regarding your question : do you really care what I think about this government? If you do, then we can talk. If you don't, then why should I spend more time on this?

That is no answer...

I didn't ask you, either.

But I suspect that you fall into the "don't really care" category...

Edited by tlansford

From August 2011, the Government Policy Statement

"Opening Statement

1. Urgent Policies to be Implemented in the First Year

2. Policy on National Security

3. Economic Policy

4. Social and Quality of Life Policy

5. Policy on Land, Natural Resources and the Environment

6. Policy on Science, Technology, Research and Innovation

7. Foreign Affairs and International Economic Policy

8. Policy on Good Governance"

http://www.thailandt...politics/policy

• Like 2

"Opening Statement

1.1 Foster reconciliation and harmony among people in the nation and restore democracy

1.2 Prevention of and define solutions to drug problems as a “national agenda”

1.3 Earnestly prevent and fight against corruption in the public sector

1.4 Promote integrated water management and promptly expand irrigation areas

1.5 Expeditiously return peace and security to people’s life and property in the Southern Border Provinces

1.6 Expeditiously restore relations and develop cooperation with neighboring countries and other foreign countries

1.7 Alleviate difficulties of people and entrepreneurs as a result of inflationary pressure and high oil prices

1.8 Raising people’s standard of living by enhancing domestic purchasing power and creating balance and strength with quality in the macroeconomic system.

1.9 Reduce Corporate Income Tax

1.10 Improve people’s access to sources of funding

1.11 Raise the price of agricultural products and enable farmers to gain access to sources of investment

1.12 Expeditiously increase income generation from domestic and in-bound tourism

1.13 Support development of folk arts and crafts in order to promote and create local identity and local products

1.14 Further develop the health insurance system

1.15 Procure tablet PCs for schools

1.16 Expedite political reforms with broad based public participation

"Opening Statement

1.1 Foster reconciliation and harmony among people in the nation and restore democracy

1.5 Expeditiously return peace and security to people’s life and property in the Southern Border Provinces

1.6 Expeditiously restore relations and develop cooperation with neighboring countries and other foreign countries

1.7 Alleviate difficulties of people and entrepreneurs as a result of inflationary pressure and high oil prices

1.8 Raising people’s standard of living by enhancing domestic purchasing power and creating balance and strength with quality in the macroeconomic system.

1.11 Raise the price of agricultural products and enable farmers to gain access to sources of investment

1.12 Expeditiously increase income generation from domestic and in-bound tourism

1.13 Support development of folk arts and crafts in order to promote and create local identity and local products

Where did you get this list from? Surely not made by this government. Only point 1.9 and 1.15 are applicable to this government.

Edited by Nickymaster

"Opening Statement

Where did you get this list from? Surely not made by this government. Only point 1.9 and 1.15 are applicable to this government.

Point 1.16 is really funny:

Calling an urgent vote on a non-urgent bill = Expedite political reforms with broad based public participation I didn't know that.

That is no answer...

To be honest I don't really care about your opinion. I am just looking for people who really believe that this government is doing a good job. I can't imagine there are educated people who could say with a straight face: " This government is doing a good job for Thailand. Let them continue doing this good work for the next three years".

I honestly see Thailand becoming the next Greece/Italy/Spain. People living on government support...until the Government has no more money. Only short term policies to keep their voters motivated.

• Like 2

- deleted -

That is no answer...

To be honest I don't really care about your opinion. I am just looking for people who really believe that this government is doing a good job. I can't imagine there are educated people who could say with a straight face: " This government is doing a good job for Thailand. Let them continue doing this good work for the next three years".

I honestly see Thailand becoming the next Greece/Italy/Spain. People living on government support...until the Government has no more money. Only short term policies to keep their voters motivated.

"To be honest I don't really care about your opinion."

bingo -

don't waste my time, please...

• Like 1

There are a few members who support the present government/PM as wonderful, even when presented hard factsto the contary.and then go back to the old "thats opinion" retoric. Even much of the orginal red shirt support has dwindled, if you can believe the newspaper reports. Granted this is a discussion forum, so rules of debate need not apply, but stark reality of fact can even be apparent to the blind.

This government reminds me of the one legged man who insisted on taking part in the arse kicking contest. He had a can do attitude, but just lacked the equipment to get the job done.

• Like 1

Well, it's too early as ever

2011-07-06

"Sutada says it is too early to tell what Yingluck's rise will mean for women's role in politics or the effort to reconcile Thailand's bitter political divisions."

http://www.voanews.c...129/141902.html

2011-08-25

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's first day in Parliament on Tuesday - when she presented her government's policies - could be considered a success.

She read the 44-page statement in a soft and gentle voice, stopping for a sip of water occasionally to maintain the rhythm of her two-hour-long speech."

http://www.nationmul...t-30163606.html

bingo -

I'm interested in your opinion, i may not agree with it, but i am interested...

Isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum?

I think it's being a bit precious to expect people to care about your opinion, and to refuse to share it unless they do. Doubt anyone here really cares that much about the opinions of others here. We are all pretty much anonymous to each other, so why should we care?

Not caring doesn't need to mean not having respect for the opinions of others, and nor does it mean having no interest in the opinions of others.

I wish Tom would stop beating about the bush and just answer the question:

bingo -

I think it's being a bit precious to expect people to care about your opinion, and to refuse to share it unless they do. Doubt anyone here really cares that much about the opinions of others here. We are all pretty much anonymous to each other, so why should we care?

Not caring doesn't need to mean not having respect for the opinions of others, and nor does it mean having no interest in the opinions of others.

I wish Tom would stop beating about the bush and just answer the question:

thumbsup.gifwai.gif

There are 3 people in Thailand who believe that YS is doing a good job.

They are all on Thai visa.

They all have Elgin's syndrome

• Like 2

bingo -

yes, indeed it is. As you see above, there are times when one can save their breath / typing.

As for this government, I personally think that several programs are / were poorly conceived - some more so than others. And I have different levels of interest in their policies, so I pay less attention to some.

The rice program, for example, doesn't concern me too much. It may also be formulated less effectively than alternative programs - at least it appears to be, but I hesitate to say too much since I don't have too much information about it. Having had good friends in farming in the US - real family farms - I do support the efforts that provide some additional security & stability to small farmers. It's not clear that this program achieves that as it is structured now.

The minimum wage and the corporate tax rate reduction : I support the min wage increase and given the resistance from business, I am surprised that the government got what it did. It may have been due to the corporate tax rate reduction (which I view as a bribe to get support from the business community). The corporate tax reduction was, IMO, and extremely crude tool for compensating businesses for the minimum wage increase - for that reason, I feel it wasn't really for that specific purpose but really was just corporate welfare to get the tiny amount of buy-in to the min-wage increase that the government received. As you can see, there are reports about compliance issues, so there is work to be done.

The tablet program... I come out of IT, so given the timeframe when they started the procurement process and given that this is the first procurement project of this kind and this size for the gov't, I think they are doing OK on the project so far - not stellar, but it could have easily been much worse.

Flooding : the communication from the government during the floods was so bad that it is hard to know what the did right and what they did wrong. Most here would say they did nothing right and everything wrong. I doubt that is the case. In any case, it wasn't just the PT government but also the local governments which were involved in the flood efforts.

Reconciliation & charter changes : not one issue, but linked in most people's minds (it seems). I find it interesting that (1) this was the last of the campaign promises addressed and posters here see it as the only thing the gov't has done. (2) The government is doing what they said they would do during the election, so it should not come as a surprise. Likewise (3) the reconciliation bills may not be for only one man, but they certainly will / would benefit one man to which I would just ask, "are you surprised"?

As for reconciliation itself, looking at Thailand's history in dealing with these kinds of issues, the amnesty proposal did not surprise me at all. Even the conflicts in the 70's - much worse than 2010 - were basically swept under the rug... This may or may not be the right thing for Thailand - I don't think so, but then I am not Thai...

Oh, yes, Leadership and YS - I think she has done OK. The cosmetic things like her English skills don't bother me and her English is better than most here give her credit for. Parliament issues ? Not critical in my view. Dodging questions? Sure, what politician doesn't? And to be fair, what some call "dodging" is afterall a less confrontational style of governing.

yes, indeed it is. As you see above, there are times when one can save their breath / typing.

As for this government, I personally think that several programs are / were poorly conceived - some more so than others. And I have different levels of interest in their policies, so I pay less attention to some.

The rice program, for example, doesn't concern me too much. It may also be formulated less effectively than alternative programs - at least it appears to be, but I hesitate to say too much since I don't have too much information about it. Having had good friends in farming in the US - real family farms - I do support the efforts that provide some additional security & stability to small farmers. It's not clear that this program achieves that as it is structured now.

The minimum wage and the corporate tax rate reduction : I support the min wage increase and given the resistance from business, I am surprised that the government got what it did. It may have been due to the corporate tax rate reduction (which I view as a bribe to get support from the business community). The corporate tax reduction was, IMO, and extremely crude tool for compensating businesses for the minimum wage increase - for that reason, I feel it wasn't really for that specific purpose but really was just corporate welfare to get the tiny amount of buy-in to the min-wage increase that the government received. As you can see, there are reports about compliance issues, so there is work to be done.

The tablet program... I come out of IT, so given the timeframe when they started the procurement process and given that this is the first procurement project of this kind and this size for the gov't, I think they are doing OK on the project so far - not stellar, but it could have easily been much worse.

Flooding : the communication from the government during the floods was so bad that it is hard to know what the did right and what they did wrong. Most here would say they did nothing right and everything wrong. I doubt that is the case. In any case, it wasn't just the PT government but also the local governments which were involved in the flood efforts.

Reconciliation & charter changes : not one issue, but linked in most people's minds (it seems). I find it interesting that (1) this was the last of the campaign promises addressed and posters here see it as the only thing the gov't has done. (2) The government is doing what they said they would do during the election, so it should not come as a surprise. Likewise (3) the reconciliation bills may not be for only one man, but they certainly will / would benefit one man to which I would just ask, "are you surprised"?

As for reconciliation itself, looking at Thailand's history in dealing with these kinds of issues, the amnesty proposal did not surprise me at all. Even the conflicts in the 70's - much worse than 2010 - were basically swept under the rug... This may or may not be the right thing for Thailand - I don't think so, but then I am not Thai...

Oh, yes, Leadership and YS - I think she has done OK. The cosmetic things like her English skills don't bother me and her English is better than most here give her credit for. Parliament issues ? Not critical in my view. Dodging questions? Sure, what politician doesn't? And to be fair, what some call "dodging" is afterall a less confrontational style of governing.

Thanks for taking the time to type out the reply.. in the spirit of discussion and debate, i will reply... just as soon as ive finished a task i gotta do :) brb

Edited by MunterHunter

begin removed ...

Dodging questions? Sure, what politician doesn't? And to be fair, what some call "dodging" is afterall a less confrontational style of governing.

Why am I not really surprised about these three last sentences wink.png

• Like 1

Thanks for answering. Some interesting thoughts. Don't have time to go into them all in detail, but will say in general i feel you seem to afford this government quite a lot of slack and don't seem too demanding. I know you say that all governments make unrealistic pledges when they campaign that they never keep to, and you are right, to varying degrees, but does that mean simply accepting when pledges are not kept to and saying, "well that's ok, we never expected them to do that anyway"?

And as for:

the reconciliation bills may not be for only one man, but they certainly will / would benefit one man to which I would just ask, "are you surprised"?

i think it really is being a bit naive to think that the reconciliation bills may not be for only one man. This "reconciliation" bill is clearly not going to reconcile anybody and without it, the PTP would be under so much less pressure and have so much more time to devote to much more worthwhile projects. I have no doubt that without Thaksin to think of, it would have been ditched a long time ago. He and only he is what keeps it on the table.

• Like 1

You haven't noticed her approval ratings then ??

And equally importantly, the fast rising popularity of the opposition.......................

Not.

I had to google it, but Elgins syndrome looks like an American affliction.

And equally importantly, the fast rising popularity of the opposition.......................

Not.

Elgin's Syndrome, related to selective memory gap syndrome, or was it Greeks wishing to have gifts returned to them ?

I hate repeating myself but here goes ? I blame it on the people who are in charge of this county they are the people at fault here plus they only care about their own engender when in power and that making side deals for there own business interest and ain't that the truth really ? I can also see in three years time Thailand being left behind due to all greed in this country ? But everybody will come out and claim to be victims of there own greed nothing new at then end of the day really just a sad state to see what everybody doing to there own country? wai.gif

• Like 1

Not.

Elgin's Syndrome, related to selective memory gap syndrome, or was it Greeks wishing to have gifts returned to them ?

If they expect that, they've lost their marbles!

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

It's difficult being objective in a subject that's totally based on opinion. That being said, I wish there were some positive things that I could say about Yingluck as a Prime Minister but I find it difficult to indicate any. I'm not sure if my bias against her is too strong for me to see any good in her or there really just isn't any?

Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers? If yes, please explain how so that we can see from your perspective.

Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rich pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets? Again, please indicate which.

Is she improving the lives of the people? If so, how?

These are just some of the questions and notice I tried to refrain from projecting any negativity. I'd just like to be enlightened on some of the positive things about her that I have missed.

There were many negative remarks but as you've said that they were biased strongly against her. So what other remarks might you accept as being unbiased?

"Would you call dodging debates and playing the "i don't know" card a positive trait of hers?"

definitely not.... as i said, just because im not a staunch anti-ptp/yingluck/thaksin/red shirt hater doesn't mean that i am not critical about any of their/her actions.

"Out of her populist policies, which ones were successful? Rice pledge? Minimum Wage? Tablets?"

i can't say whether they were successful or not, as it's early days for all of them.

i'm very wary about the rice scheme atm.

i think the tablets could be a great investment for the future, but who knows, not i, not you... but it's definitely part of the future of education.

minimum wage could prove a good move, it could prove a bad move, these are all still debatable atm, and outside economic factors will be an obvious factor in this.

"So what other remarks might you accept as being unbiased?"

first off, clarify what remarks in particular that i suggested were biased, i suggested that a lot of critcisms in general from posters on here come from a biased angle, is that something you think i'm making up, do you think that's all in my head?

Show us one of your posts critical to PM Yingluck. Thanks.

who's 'us'?

use the search function if you're that bothered.

and just a heads up, i don't think you can put smileys in the search bar.

• Like 1

Not.

Hahaha

my point is that there are legitimate grievances to have with yingluck, but i think people push it ott with their expectations for results from a pm that's been in office a year.

A day is a long time in politics........................but a year is too short to expect results?

Well that is an easy one Mick

Give me a list of all the woes that confounded Thailand at the point Yinguck and PTP came into office

Then tell me which of these items you personally feel could be eradicated in one year

Then, list the items where PTP acknowledge there is an issue to be addressed....a starting point if you like

Let me start,

Centuries of entrenched corruption, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years, or any government previously

Outdated education system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Railway inrfastructure, outdated system, not fixed by the previous government in 2 years

Information highway, largely enhanced by the private sector, little or no input from the previous government in 2 years

Wage structure, not adequately addressed by the previous government in 2 years

Flood defences, little or nothing done by the previous government in 2 years

Just a start Mick you are welcome to add to the list of woes

But the difference is many people did not expect great improvement in the above areas from the Democrats in a short time because they are huge challenges

They were therefore not disappointed

"What about the Democrats, what about the democrats?"

How long do we wait to talk about this government's achievements rather than the failings of past? This government carries none of the handicaps (such as forced co-alition and red riots) that faced the last. It has installed a multi-billion baht rice pledging scheme that everybody knew was a scam from day one, and concentrates on two major issues, getting Thaksin back and keeping themselves out of jail.

Thing is Mick when you have a government, you can criticise all you want, but you must be able to offer a viable alternative, the rather subtle point of my post above, is that I don't think the Democrats are equipped to improve the situation. So why not give PTP a chance

You make a point well because PTP may well be spending time trying to keep Thaksin out of Jail, the Democrats unfortunately appear to have spent most of their time trying to get him in Jail!!....and failed

You want to know what the major achievement of this government is, they have managed to fulfil at least one year in government, no mean feat given the situation in Thailand. They may well grow in confidence and move topics along throughout the term.

Now, if I expected to complete a 4 year term, I would plan to deliver in the 3rd and mainly the 4th year......just before the election........you and your fellow posters however would deliver all in the first 12 months......says it all really, anybody with any intelligence realises the main aim of a government is to carry the vote and carry on in government.

Yingluck has 3 years, all being well, to succeed where many have failed. If PTP fail to deliver I expect they will be voted out, and rightly so. I have said this so many times, this tenure is one of the most important in the development of Thailand. So why do you guys feel the insatiable need to shout down anybody who says let it run to the natural conclusion and whatever result it brings at the next election.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1