Fish & Chips Place On Sukhumvit Soi 23

Spaniel

The NZ Fish and Chip shop behind Cheap Charlies, next to Charley Browns on Soi 11 is pretty good.

Good choices and well cooked every time I've been.

Tried that F&C shop on Soi 23 years ago. It was pretty miserable, although the food was ok.

• 1 year later...

A chippie without chips?

Went today for the first time after been craving a chippie for a while and never getting round to going.

I go in order a sausage and chips, beans and bread and butter. Fairly cheap prices. All that plus a coke for 180B.

After sitting drinking my coke for 10 minutes I'm told there are no chips despite the fact I saw chips cooking in the fryer when I came in. I tell them to forget about my order I don't want it if no chips.

Suddenly they change their mind and they do have chips?

Food is served 2 minutes later but I didn't rate it. Sausage not in batter like I expected and chips very thin unlike typical chippie chips. Basically doesn't taste like chippie food...it is Thailand after all and Western food rarely does so should expect it.

Not somewhere I'd go back to.

It's an old thread but I'll add my comments.

Been there dozen or more times over 3-4 years. It's ranged from quite awful (third of the time) to average (half the time) and memorably good (a few times, but that was years ago). Seen many staff changes, including one night two guys behind the counter recently, which I'd never seen before. I took one look at them and walked out.

That said, where are you going to feed that need for grease at 1:30 am?

The Off Shore, Many of the British lads swear its the best in Bangkok, I myself tried it last week and thought it was rubbish!!! to each their own but I guess it's worth a go if you are hankering for something that tastes like home!!.. I prefer Bradman's Bar opposite The Off Shore, nice menu and no grumpy old codgers lurking about....

many drunk folks have sworn similar. but they are the same lot who swear by the local snapper.

• Like 1

I like the red snapper but the mushy peas are awful, how you can ruin them is beyond me. My nephew tried one of their sauces they said it was tartar sauce and within 5 minutes I was running to buy Clarid - damn that MSG.

My favourite spots on Soi 23 Bradmans and the Queen Vic in that order

• Like 1

since i'm here. where to get a decent pizza, <deleted> it, went to a pizza shop to get a pizza, the farang owner looked Italian, no anchovies anywhere to be seen on the menus. i said have you got anchovies he looked back with a blank expression not understanding and recommended something else in pretty good english. didnt eat pizza that day. anchovies were on sale in the tops supermarket less than 30 meters away. expensive though.

You get one at Little Italy on the corner of Sukhumvit and Soi 23 in the jasmine city building.

noted thanks, next trip to bkk i'll venture out that way.

Save your cash and try the Ship Inn British pub 50m further up the soi. Lovely cod with crisp batter and fat, crispy chips. Comes with tartar sauce and ketchup and they'll do take away as well.

Is that where all the Boiler Room Billies go then now?

Oh hi. Have you found a country in which you can afford to live now, then?

Doubt it's Phnom Penh - your De Vere commissions couldn't cover the internet there.

I'm thinking . . . . Democratic Republic of Congo or Yemen

Looooooooooooooooooooser

DRC is quite expensive I believe. No idea bout Yemen.

Chips with gravy and vinegar. Sensational

Thats as bad as ketchup on pizza
Totally unrelated. Ketchup on pizza is doubling up on tomato sauce. Vinegar adds tart to the gravy

Whaaaaat? That's like saying ketchup is the same as the tomatoe sauce you get on pizzas.... Not true.

It amazes me when I see people doing this. I used to work with a lot of Scandinavin folk and one time in the canteen I observed a few of them put ketchup on a lasagna. Words failed me at that moment.

Is "Oh My Cod!" still open in the KSR area? I was considering heading that way this weekend as i have to fly down S. on Monday

No, had to close.

From their website -

Those of you local to Bangkok know there was a fire in the kitchen and this damaged a large number of our kitchen equipment pieces as well as damanged to the two floors of the hotel directly above us. Due to this and the hotel owners believing that the fire was a cause of negligence they revoked the lease that was currently in place as well as contacting the police in hopes they could somehow squeeze some extra money out of the situation.
So with a heavy heart and more than the usual dose of disgust at the way things seem to go in Thailand for non Thai people we decided the only thing we could do was lock the doors put the equipment in stoage and hope for the best moving forward.
To all the great employees that are affected by this closing we wish you all the best and are sorry we can't continue to operate and help provide you with a living.

Good luck one and all and to the hotel owners we say a hearty <deleted>

Edited by Shaksey