Is There Anything That Actually Replaces The Cat Cdma Mobile Service?

DavidMavec

Hello...

As has been commented by several users, our beloved CAT CDMA mobile service (I have a MiFi) is coming to an end. What I have loved about the CAT CDMA service is the following:

- It can be used in even very small towns or in very rural areas in most places (with the exception of central Thailand).

- Even in such small towns or very rural areas it is fast enough to do most things online (700 kbps - 1.5 mbps)

On my phone I have DTAC 3G service but whenever I leave a major city (as of April 2012) it slips down to Edge speeds which barely get me 100 kbps most of the time, deathly slow, barely even enough speed to check my email.

I am wondering if any of you have experimented with other providers or if there are legitimate replacements at this time. Maybe True's H service has better coverage than DTAC's? Other similar services you might recommend?

Thanks.

David

There have been many, many, many threads on this subject. For the most part it seems like people are using My by CAT or TrueMove H as a replacement given that these two (TrueMove H is a reseller of CAT so essentially these are the physical network) are operating from previous CAT CDMA towers, among other locations. Others may be using TOT on 2100 MHz, either directly or from one of the TOT resellers. My by CAT/TrueMove H have the broadest coverage, maybe on par with TOT, followed by AIS and DTAC.

Lastly some have said they are using a new service from TOT called Wi-NET which is a longer distance WiFi type of service.

As I said, there have been many, many, many threads with first-hand experience - I am too lazy to search for them right now. Maybe you could have a search, and a read, through some of those? Your options may be limited to your exact location, and the experiences of someone hundreds of kilometers away may be less than useful?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I used the cat CDMA for a long time and changed now to their new device. I bought a True Move H the simcart I got for free from Cat. I have to say the new 3G is by far les reliable than the old CDMA. seems Thailand is getting worse with his Internet instead of going better. I also being told by my Cat office that the 3G is not as stable as the CDMA. hope its get better with time.

I am in the North

• 2 weeks later...

as I once said: I used CAT cdma for a long time and now I had to move to their new 3G and I am not happy.I have a router for my dondle and this isn`t working well, also when I put my Dondle direct into my laptop it is very slow. I live in the north of Thailand and Cat was allways very good up to the new 3G.Hope it`s getting better soon

Well, one of the rumors was that CAT CDMA Evdo was to end on 31 Aug. Well, here it is 1 Sept, and my CAT CDMA is still humming along, steady and reliable as ever (I'm in the Doi Saket area).

Anyone had their's turned off? Anyone heard any rumors of a later termination date?