Please Help A Newbie (Visa Runs Etc.)

Hello wink.png Or should I say Sawatdee Kap!

If you've read this far you must have a kind heart. Thankyou for trying to help!!

I'm having no joy with the Embassay -> they just email me PDF's which don't answer my questions. Guess they must be too busy....mai pen rai....

Happy to shout you a beer in Udon Thani for helping me out!!

* I am in Udon Thani now on a single entry Tourist Visa from Australia.

* I came to meet a girl I've been chatting with for a year to see if there is a chance for love. Seems there is and I want to return (and maybe live here not take her to Australia).

* I have flights back to Australia early September for family stuff for two weeks.

* I have flights one way to Udon Thani after that.

* I am under the impression that I can't apply for another visa unless I show another flight that leaves Thailand within the 60 days.

* I am confused by the idea that an Australian can get 30 days without visa plus 60 with.

* I hear you can do "visa runs" to Vientiane Laos which is very close to me. Although I don't really get the practical side of that.

* I don't want to fly to Australia every 60/90 days (can't afford that, who can!).

1) What's the best way to get another visa for the second trip? Simply apply as new? Do I need to book something (plane/bus) which shows that I will go to Vientiane? Can I apply somehow here in Udon Thani before returning to Australia? Had to post my passport from Broome WA to Canberra to get the first one (can't exactly do that now!).

2) Can my second trip (and future trips) be 90 days or 60 days?

3) All going well, can the process be repeated indefinitely without having to return to Australia? I.e. go to Vientiane every 60/90 days?

By indefinitely, I mean until I buy a ring, hope for a yes and apply for a spouse visa.

I suspect this raises the question of how will I pay for all this without working? I am full time student on Austudy (Australian government benefit) which equates to more than enough to live on here (30k/month) and therefore doesn't require a work permit nor a job. Hence the desire to avoid paying for too many trips back to Australia until I finish this degree! I suspect I also need to answer: Will Centrelink cut my Austudy payment if I spend too much OS and am therefore not considered a resident for tax purposes?

You rock if you made it to the end of my ramblings! Thanks again!

SORRY for the MAMMOTH post -> I have so many questions in my head now. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Edited by damianltaylor

When you return to Australia apply for a double or triple entry tourist visa, you need a visa as you said it is only a one way ticket. After that visa is done you can go to Vientiane or Savanakhet to get at least 2 or 3 more double entry tourist visa's.

Hopefully by the end of those you will be married. You can also learn Thai and get an education visa.

As said a triple entry Tourist Visa will get you 3 entries.

Each entry will give 60 days. Each entry can be extended by 30 days at Immigration for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

Just make sure you do your last entry before the Visa expires.

[Ohyesuare] & [Lite Beer]

Hugely appreciate you taking the time to read my post!!

Just to clarify, it seems you're saying that the one way ticket is sufficient for now to get the triple entry.

And a bus to Vientiane can be arranged later (or actually she may drive me!).

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!! I was a little hesistant to post my personal situation here.

Full respect for not taking the piss out of my naivety!

Damian,

You need to get the visa in Australia, they probably will not let you on the plane with a one way ticket and no visa. After you finish that visa then Vientenne is quite friendly for getting new ones, quite a nice town for a few days visit also.

You sound like I was 7 years ago, but I was not brave enough to post on here then. Good luck mate, Send me a PM (personal message) if you need any help here.

A triple entry will give you 3 x (60+30) days = 270 days.

After 269 days you may like to leave the country for Australia for a 'break'.

After a month or so, you return to Thailand with another 3ple visa, but maybe you might have figured out other options.

the thai consulate in Canberra says there is no such thing as a triple entry? only double?

That is why I wrote that you should use an honorary consulate not the embassy in Canberra.

The honorary's will issue a triple entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

one way tickets are only slightly less then round trip ones in many cases. this solves the ticket question.

you get a rt ticket and the return trip can be extended out 12 months typically. you can then reschedule the return flight segment for a small fee if the need arises.