Reasonable Hotels On Samui Under 1,000 Baht

Can anybody suggest any hotels, apartments or rooms for under 1,000 baht on Samui. I haven't been there for 6 years so all my info is out dated. I know Pattaya like the back of my hand but Samui is out of my area and I don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am willing to stay anywhere as I have a Thai motocy license and will rent a bike if required. Prefer Chaweng as I remember there are plenty of things to do there and the beach is nice. I like eating Thai food at Thai restaurants (Thai price) so must be near some local restaurants.

Basic room, double bed, air con, hot water, prefer Chaweng, nothing fancy but don't want to be near drunken backpackers if at all it can be avoided.

I am willing to stay anywhere as I have a Thai motocy license and will rent a bike if required. Prefer Chaweng as I remember there are plenty of things to do there and the beach is nice. I like eating Thai food at Thai restaurants (Thai price) so must be near some local restaurants.

Basic room, double bed, air con, hot water, prefer Chaweng, nothing fancy but don't want to be near drunken backpackers if at all it can be avoided.

6 years is a long time, you will most likely be surrounded by drunk backpackers in Chaweng for 1000 baht a night.

I know a great little hotel in Maenam called Ampha Place, beachside, 50 metres from beach, small bar, nice pool, excellent rooms for 800 baht only.

You'll get proper Thai food locally here for half the price and twice the taste, cheaper beer too.

Go in to Chaweng when you feel the need.

My two cents anyway.

You have a bike license so no worries.

6 years is a long time, you will most likely be surrounded by drunk backpackers in Chaweng for 1000 baht a night.

I know a great little hotel in Maenam called Ampha Place, beachside, 50 metres from beach, small bar, nice pool, excellent rooms for 800 baht only.

You'll get proper Thai food locally here for half the price and twice the taste, cheaper beer too.

Go in to Chaweng when you feel the need.

My two cents anyway.

You have a bike license so no worries.

I'll add "one cent" to that too..... ! Lots of places in Maenam, in the 700 to 800 baht range, (...or less) ... with what you need... on the beach or not far away....thumbsup.gif

Motor bikes are usually half the price of Chawang too.

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

I noticed a sign in Lamui the other day, it said BED 250 baht.... wow! that's the lowest price i seen anywhere here, to stay... Not sure if it indoors or out!!! wink.png

Ha ha...yeah at that price i think it's a bed on the porch where air-con will be au-naturale, do they provide the mossie spray in the price or do you bring your own?. biggrin.png

Anyway, the Beach Road Cafe (formerly Flintstones) seems reasonable, right in the heart of Chaweng and depending on the time of year will be as little as 600 baht per night, air-con, cable tv, en-suite, hot/cold shower etc etc...the rooms are right upstairs at the back of the buliding so it's not noisy at all but there's not any bars right near it anyway.

The only noise you hear is the faint distant beat of the Green Mango area but as i say it's in the distance not right outside....good food downstairs in the bar/cafe, free wi-fi etc...probably the best value i've found in such a central location and no need to travel on the lovely roads at silly o clock along with the rest doing wacky races... biggrin.png

Thank you for the ideas peoples, I checked Ampha Place and it's prices are now 1,200 so it is over my budget.

The Holiday Park Samui looks really great. For 900 baht it looks like the go, might book shortly.

Flinstones, ha ha ha, I laugh because I remember it in 1998, that main road was dirt road and Flinstones was a rough and ready beer bar. It had a squat toilet that was over flowing and dirty, how things change. Looking forward to dropping in there for old times sake.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the ideas peoples, I checked Ampha Place and it's prices are now 1,200 so it is over my budget.

The Holiday Park Samui looks really great. For 900 baht it looks like the go, might book shortly.

Flinstones, ha ha ha, I laugh because I remember it in 1998, that main road was dirt road and Flinstones was a rough and ready beer bar. It had a squat toilet that was over flowing and dirty, how things change. Looking forward to dropping in there for old times sake.

Thanks again.

Ha ha..Yes, good old Flintstones is no longer.

Much changed place now and just a simple cafe/restaurant/bar now, all spruced up and much brighter than it was too.

The owner knows exactly what she's doing after many years in one of the busiest bars/restaurants in Chaweng so she seems to be doing well...you'll certainly see a big difference from the days you are talking about!! biggrin.png

I stayed at Silent Bungalow on Maenam beach in June last year, Bungalow on the beach for 500B a night. East end of the beach, from the main road, heading towards Chaweng, on the left a small Isaan restaurant (cheap, good Isaan food), enter the soi (dirt track) follow it right then left (about 500m in total). Silent. Beach front. Don't eat the food in their restaurant, its shit.

I noticed a sign in Lamui the other day, it said BED 250 baht.... wow! that's the lowest price i seen anywhere here, to stay... Not sure if it indoors or out!!! wink.png

There are a lot of places in Lamai for under 500 baht, some quite newly built as well.

Hathai hotel lamai big beds and rooms quality , nice but small pool, good thai food limited English food but cracking chicken baguette, 800 baht 1 min from beach on bike, look at sawasdee.com for reviews

Thanks for the replies, this particular hotel sounds good. The Holiday Park site doesn't allow booking online and they didnt answer an enquiry email and on Agoda it is 1147 baht per night, don't know what's going on there.

There are a lot of places in Lamai for under 500 baht, some quite newly built as well.

There are places almost all over the island for under 500 baht... wink.png

So many places around in all price points, it won't be hard to find something.... OP may need to check once he / she gets here. Book a place for a night or two, and look around the different areas... and decide what suites...

These booking web sites always have pictures making the place look nice, but sometimes years old... time for a new paint job, in some cases! rolleyes.gif They often don't have the best deals... from my experience.... wink.png

There are places almost all over the island for under 500 baht... wink.png

So many places around in all price points, it won't be hard to find something.... OP may need to check once he / she gets here. Book a place for a night or two, and look around the different areas... and decide what suites...

These booking web sites always have pictures making the place look nice, but sometimes years old... time for a new paint job, in some cases! rolleyes.gif They often don't have the best deals... from my experience.... wink.png

I always wonder how places can make a profit when selling Baht 500.- or below.......

maybe they are happy the way it is and don't want any action with banks, construction companies, various job search requests, design experts, sale teams, incessant bizzare customer complains.

500 Baht Bungalows means no puat hua.

Hathai hotel lamai big beds and rooms quality , nice but small pool, good thai food limited English food but cracking chicken baguette, 800 baht 1 min from beach on bike, look at sawasdee.com for reviews

Thanks for the replies, this particular hotel sounds good. The Holiday Park site doesn't allow booking online and they didnt answer an enquiry email and on Agoda it is 1147 baht per night, don't know what's going on there.

They have 2 different sized rooms, the 1147 is the bigger one. Standard Rooms are 700-900. But anyway Hathai house is about 200m from Holiday Park so you can easily check them both out and see which you prefer.

You don't have to book hotels in Lamai, lol. There's never anyone here.

Edited by ydraw

maybe they are happy the way it is and don't want any action with banks, construction companies, various job search requests, design experts, sale teams, incessant bizzare customer complains.

500 Baht Bungalows means no puat hua.

I guess you are right, I was thinking of tax, laundry of bedsheets and towels, electricity running 24/7, water etc......

Quote from Ydraw...... "You don't have to book hotels in Lamai, lol. There's never anyone here"

Huh? when I was down on Lamai beach the other day, they were 1000's of people all lined up on the beach, on their rented chairs.... all being pestered by vendors every two minutes.... it reminded me of Hua Hin w00t.gifSo where do this people go when the sun goes down?

That's why Maenam beach is more pleasant, hardly any vendors .... perhaps an odd call of "You want massage" on miles of nice beach thumbsup.gif

I agree though, you really don't need to book a whole holiday at one place, so many to choose from ...thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

This is the busiest it's been all year and even then most hotels are still empty. Especially the hotels near Holiday Park/Hathai House end of town (anywhere south of the Outback Bar basically). For whatever reason, far more people tend to stay in the North end of town near the Weekender than stay at the south end around Aloha resort. It's practically deserted on the streets around here.

So would you people just turn up on the hotels steps and just book in there and then? You would not book in advance? Could our group just turn up and get 2 rooms at the correct price at say 6PM and all will be sweet? How would you Samuians do it?

By the way, minivan/ferry from Phuket, what time would we expect to be in Lamai?

Thank you.

As long as it's not Songkran or December you will have no problems finding a place just turning up.

Don't know how long a minivan takes from Phuket sorry. The ferry from Don Dak-Samui takes just under 90 minutes, and Lamai is about another 25 minutes from the Pier.

It's about 6 to 8 hours from Phuket if I remember, from people I know who have done it.....

You'd actually be better on VIP bus rather than a mini van.... that would be a trip from hell... even check out the public bus... 999 I think.

No problem to find hotel, so many and all so close together, I would not worry about that too much...

So would you people just turn up on the hotels steps and just book in there and then? You would not book in advance? Could our group just turn up and get 2 rooms at the correct price at say 6PM and all will be sweet? How would you Samuians do it?

By the way, minivan/ferry from Phuket, what time would we expect to be in Lamai?

Thank you.

Regarding hotels (beach bungalows) - yes. That is what I did when I first came to Samui. Picked up a songtheow and got them to take me to the nearest beach. 2 rooms no problem. Friend and I 400 baht per night each. (I do not have a clue what the bungalows were called.) The beach was not great - reef, but it gave us a cheap base - we rented a jeep and then pottered around.

Diference is - more expensive hotels charge more for walk-ins (rack rate) then for internet bookings. Cheap places - bowl on up.

Biggest problem for you - the taxis trying to get you to stay 'at their friend's hotel'.

Totally agree with Jimmy and Sucker

I missed out on a train ticket to Hua Hin last week and had to take the 999 VIP 24 seater bus......It was awesome. I've done over night trains to swampy, minivans to Malaysia but this was the best trip. I know it was only relatively short but it was really comfy, the seats stretch out nice, they are wide and I slept most of the way there.

Worth every penny too

• Like 1