What Rice Brand To Buy?

biggunguy

at home i noticed that it also has a very small grain... (5 kg 135 THB)

I use Jasmin about 150bt 5kg from Makro's, most brand's taste the same to me. Regard's the powdery bit are you washing it well before you cook it??? Tip pay a little extra and I think your problem's will go away. Edited by fredob43
  • Like 2

no i didnt wash it, but will do now... thanks

when regulary buying indian basmati rice from varying indian shops in europe (also 5 kg bags), i never washed it and it was always ok... why is it here powdery? long storage?

Edited by biggunguy

no i didnt wash it, but will do now... thanks

when buying indian rice from the indian shops in europe (also 5 kg bags), i never washed it and it was always ok... why is it here powdery? long storage?

Could well be, If you go for 100% jasmin you will ? be ok, you might have got cheap rice well not cheap but not to good. I got some once also from Makro's it looked ok to me, but the G/L without even trying it said it was rubbish and gave it away to a dust bin totter without even opening it. I was then frog marched well lead by the ear back into Makro and had the rubbish and the good stuff pointed out to me. I have never made that mistake again. I still have nightmare's & crying fit's over the 130bt worth of rice I saw going down the road. Tip if your not to sure ask a Thai lady member of staff, they were born and bread with the stuff and know more than we will ever do. What ever type you end up with wash it well before you cook it, my G/L does and who am I to argue. Oh and they don't put salt into the water before cooking it.

Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

My wife grows our rice, Hom Mali. I bought a small bag of expensive brown rice and only was able to have a meal with it once. The next time I asked her where my brown rice was, she explained to me that kind of rice was only good for chicken feed so she fed it to the chickens. Thais are quite particular about their rice. If you have rice that seems chalky, it's likely NOT Hom Mali.

I obviously have poor taste because I liked the brown rice just as well.

That could be an interesting debate "to wash it or not to wash it". In my experience, jasmine keeps its fragrance after washing or rinsing it. However, I am not too sure what the reason is for washing rice before cooking it.

The theory that I have heard and can attest to after many trials of washed vs unwashed (white unfragrant) rice is that the grains are lightly coated in a starchy powder to keep them dry and to stop them from sticking to each other. But if you cook it, the starches become sticky and fluffy and too moist as well as taking away heat and therefore cooking power away from the grain itself, as well as resulting in a wetter, squishier rice, which could be avoided by washing....

So they say

at home i noticed that it also has a very small grain... (5 kg 135 THB)

royal umbrella red bag you can't go wrong, my missus is pissed off because now we're in the uk she can't get it locally,

You can, in Thai shops. You can find Thai groceries around London and probably in other large towns I bought umbrella there many times, it costs 2,50 a kilo nowadays.

I don't know anything about cooking rice, but I do know that my wife rinses the hom mali rice before cooking it. It's not a vigorous washing, just a slosh the rice and water around and then pour the water off. before putting it in the cooker and adding the proper amount of water.

I don't know anything about cooking rice, but I do know that my wife rinses the hom mali rice before cooking it. It's not a vigorous washing, just a slosh the rice and water around and then pour the water off. before putting it in the cooker and adding the proper amount of water.

My G/L rinses it several time's say's it's better after it's cooked, she is now steaming it not using a rice cooker and must admit a far better end result. How does she steam it well after washing place's the rice in small one portion container's and into the top of a steam pot cook's/steam's it for about 25 Min: sorted. She say's it also save's monies, but it maybe because I pay for the gas and she pay's for the electric, so who know's, still working on that one.