Why Is It So Expensive To Text?

Plucky

I currently have a Super 3g pay as you go AIS sim card and if I do any testing at all it seems to eat up my credit in no time.

I top up maybe 500 baht a time and don't make many calls so its easy for me to keep track of my costs etc.

I have heard stories of people calling up the companies and getting better rates but not too sure about that one.

Can you describe your exact situation? phone: make/model. SIM: name, current calling plan/promotion? Are you sending domestic SMSes or international SMSes? How often is your balance depleted?

More details,rather than fewer, can yield valuable recommendations.

Without a lot more detail I am guessing you are paying 2.14 baht/SMS and maybe you have data enabled, and least for some periods of time, and are paying 1.07 baht/min for data access, thereby eating your credit in no time?

One-2-Call does allow for viewing call detail records on line but they make the registration process challenging for foreigners. I guess you could call or email them and ask for some detail re: your usage?

Two suggestions:

1) By registering your number with AIS (have to go to an office and show your ID) you can then gain access to "e-Services" on their website, and view a 30 day history of usage on your phone number. So you can see where the charges are going.

2) Not sure what a "Super 3G" SIM card is? Does it come with some kind of a data plan? If not, and a data network setting on your phone is turned on, it can suck your balance down very quickly, with frequent accesses to the data network by apps that are "checking in" with the mother ship. Probably not the case, but something to think about.

Happened to me until I found I had data enabled, was using 100 baht every hour! Turned off 'auto data' and then fine ( Even better went back to a phone phone, not one that was smarter than me) cost me about 1000 Baht i reckon!

If you have your mobile data enabled on your phone all the time then a bunch of different Apps in the phone's basic operating system and Apps you have downloaded/installed could are eating away at your mobile data volume/time whenever you have your phone turned on. Somewhat depends on how you have other settings in your phone setup such as whether to receive New App Update Notifications, Software Updates/Downloads by Wifi or Mobile. Probably best to set your phone to only receive software downloads by Wifi since it's usually not critical you get the latest software update the second it comes out...you can wait until you hookup to your home/ISP Wifi connection. These Apps are syncing, doing background internet activity, updating themselves, etc. Unless on an unlimited plan, best to only enable/turn-on your mobile data when you need to use it. For SMSing/texting messages those will still go out and come in under GSM versus 3G/Edge data unless you are using some SMSing/Texting App that requires a Wifi/data connection....or connection real-time with someone else running the identical App.

In you don't have a traffic monitor App on your phone, you probably should download one so you can see what Apps are using your data whether you are using Mobile Data or Wifi. I recently installed a free App called Traffic Monitor that I like a lot...it will show you what Apps are eating your data on Wifi and/or Mobile, how much data per day, how much data per current month, etc.

No its not the data usage eating up my credit I buy way more than I use just in case.

I think it works out about 12.5 baht a text which chews through my credit. I mostly use whatsapp now but for the non smartphone friends it still gets me.

No its not the data usage eating up my credit I buy way more than I use just in case.

I think it works out about 12.5 baht a text which chews through my credit. I mostly use whatsapp now but for the non smartphone friends it still gets me.

So you check your balance, *121# Send/Call, send an (standard, 160 character) SMS to another Thai number, check your balance again, and it is exactly 12.5 baht less? Is that accurate? That seems odd as it means your rate per SMS is 11.6824. (An international SMS would be 9 baht, or 9.63 baht with VAT.

Any chance you can share any details re: your phone, SIM, calling plan, and data plan? Have you subscribed to a time-based plan? Or a volume-based plan? If so can you provide any details? Have you subscribed, even if by accident, to any SMS services? Are you receiving any Facebook status SMSes?

I guess most of us are having a hard time understanding what might be happening as you seem unwilling to share any details. I think most of us would state, without any sort of detailed information, that your balance is being depleted by either the default data charge of 1.07 baht/min, or perhaps by 2.14 baht/MB if exceeding your monthly time allotment.

You could contact One-2-Call, by email or phone, to request some detail of your plan/charges/usage, or register for their eServices, and CDR (requires additional registration) service, or just share some more information here?

• Like 1

I'm paying exactly 2 Baht per text (less then 160 characters) to any provider.

Using plain Jane one2call sim.

The super 3g sim they used to include with the AIS branded usb dongles...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm paying exactly 2 Baht per text (less then 160 characters) to any provider.

Using plain Jane one2call sim.

The super 3g sim they used to include with the AIS branded usb dongles...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

They have a mini package for 49 baht that will keep your sms at 1.07 baht/msg and 1baht/min + free 50 MB. That package may be expired now. But they have a new one for 29/week http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/promotion_promotionOnWeb.html 0.5 baht/sms and voice calls.

...mo

So you check your balance, *121# Send/Call, send an (standard, 160 character) SMS to another Thai number, check your balance again, and it is exactly 12.5 baht less? Is that accurate? That seems odd as it means your rate per SMS is 11.6824. (An international SMS would be 9 baht, or 9.63 baht with VAT.

Any chance you can share any details re: your phone, SIM, calling plan, and data plan? Have you subscribed to a time-based plan? Or a volume-based plan? If so can you provide any details? Have you subscribed, even if by accident, to any SMS services? Are you receiving any Facebook status SMSes?

I guess most of us are having a hard time understanding what might be happening as you seem unwilling to share any details. I think most of us would state, without any sort of detailed information, that your balance is being depleted by either the default data charge of 1.07 baht/min, or perhaps by 2.14 baht/MB if exceeding your monthly time allotment.

You could contact One-2-Call, by email or phone, to request some detail of your plan/charges/usage, or register for their eServices, and CDR (requires additional registration) service, or just share some more information here?

and umm... internationally or within thailand? probably the first question that needs answered...

Hello. Yes its the usual super 3g AIS package. I am going to telewiz today to top up as I am back in los and will text and report back details.

Still don't get why I pay so much for texts. Calling AIS today.