Where To Live Chiang Rai Or Chaam?

Blueskyramblinman

My idea of quality is to enjoy life with my wife who is my best friend. Iin a quiet peaceful area that has some quality scenery from house. We are not looking for active lifestyle

just enough basic requirements to be able to get food and supplies at a major supermarket and live within 30 minutes of a shopping mall.

The further North you go the more laid back things seem to be, in as much as I love Chiang Mai, places such as Chiang Rai, Pai etc move to an entirely different beat. As far as I can tell everything within reason that a Westerner would like to have on hand as far as decent shops, hospitals etc are available, and if you need to go further afield, CM is only a 30 minute flight with Kan Airways, and BKK is just over an hour away by air.

I did notice in "downtown" Chiang Rai that the bars and restaurants could be a little bit more expensive than you would expect in CM, however if you are happy to eat and drink in genuine Thai oriented places ( which is my preference ) it's supercheap. There are a couple of Thai bar/restaurants down by the Par Nightclub that I particularly enjoy........That's not to say that I don't like the bar area downtown where most farangs congregate.......I've had some cracking relaxing evenings down there, and the restaurant in the square at the Night Market is great.

Your idea of being about 30 minutes out of town is probably spot on, I reckon you can get a quality fo life in CR that you wouldn't get in Cha-am, merely as Cha-am is a beach resort area and by definition the basal costs of accomodation etc are going to be heavily influenced by the tourism market.

Maybe it's time for a shopping basket approach to your research........and at the end of the day you can't beat boots on the ground to see if you like a place. smile.png

• Like 1

On the beach road in Cha-Am you can get very cheap beer. Not really a bar even. Yet I have paid 120 Baht for a bottle of Chang in Cha-Am on the main road down from the traffic lights to the beach.

Cha-Am is like a retirement home for foreigners where the Thai population flock in on a weekend and holidays. Many people are in bed by 10 p.m. So little night life it is such a sleepy place.

Great beach. Friendly people. No need for tuk-tuks or taxis.

Makro is 50 kms away.

Most food prices I found to be reasonable. A big market where many foreigners go to have a beer while the better half does the shopping ;)

Hua Hin is 20 kms away for some night life but getting there and back can be a problem.

I've lived in Chiang Rai for over four years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Thailand. Some people say it is boring but I moved here in my early 30's and never been bored, when the smoky season is a bad one we escape to the beach but apart from that The Rai is a great place to live.

Chiang Rai? That visit was a cruel joke. Was bored and nothing to do but visit the night market.

Yeah; I'd consider Khon Kaen, Udon or even Nong Khai before Chiang Rai.

Cha Am is ueber-boring too of course. And Hua Hin is Pattaya-lite.

If Cha-am and Hua Hin don't appeal, why not check out Pattaya? Often described as the "St Tropez of Thailand", Pattaya has long been a favourite with bohemian artists and discerning visitors who wish to learn more about Thailand's rich and diverse culture.

Bangkok (the so-called "Paris of the East") should also be high on anyone's agenda. With its sweeping boulevards, abundant parks and world class museums, the city captures effortlessly the chicness of Paris and the cosmopolitan allure of Milan.

Lastly, who in their right mind would overlook Pattani? Promoted by TAT as the "Siamese Riviera", Pattani offers a potent blend of superb beaches, exciting nightlife and unparalleled natural attractions.

Intersting perspective from a cultural aspect, one this philistine forum sadly lacks. I hadn't considered Pattani, just worried though about the real estate boom there, are the bloody farangs buying up all the good beachside condos or is there still a chance to get your share of paradise? I would like to see the natural attractions riding my Harley extensively through the area. Do they have lots of katoeys?

If Cha-am and Hua Hin don't appeal, why not check out Pattaya? Often described as the "St Tropez of Thailand", Pattaya has long been a favourite with bohemian artists and discerning visitors who wish to learn more about Thailand's rich and diverse culture.

Agreed; Pattaya should be on anyone's agenda at least to check out, as its a major center for expats to settle down and retire. It is not without issues though, such as the traffic situation, and the over-touristed feel of the place. Living there you always feel like a nameless newbie tourist, and are treated accordingly.

A good case could be made for towns to the North or the South of Pattaya; still in easy reach, but away from Thailand's Tourism Ground Zero.

Lastly, who in their right mind would overlook Pattani? Promoted by TAT as the "Siamese Riviera", Pattani offers a potent blend of superb beaches, exciting nightlife and unparalleled natural attractions.

I'd say Songkhla before Pattani to be honest; and closer to Had Yai, which is a major center.