Grating On My Nerves...

The road surface on the beach road in Chaweng is being bitumened. So far, and so slowly, the beach side of the road has been "finished," (along with the entire road in a very short section).

Of course nothing on Samui ever seems to be done in a fully competent manner, and again we have the seemingly insurmountable obstacle of integrating storm grates with the surface of the road.

It is utterly impossible that the engineers responsible for the mindbogglingly obvious task of making sure the storm grates were flush with the surface of the road could so misjudge the results of their work.

Yet here we are:

post-131397-0-18020800-1344570103_thumb.

post-131397-0-20853600-1344570114_thumb.

Some of these are worse than others, but by the photos (the crap phone pics do not do these justice) you can see that the difference in height between the surface of the road and the grate is ridiculous. I measured it at about 5 inches (about 13cm) and the transition between the two is steep, probably 70 degrees. A scooter going over this would at best jolt the fillings out of your head, and at worst, if you were going slow, actually stop your bike in its tracks.

Now, you might say, "Well, they will come back later and put some sort of spacer grate over this one to level it all out," and although that's a possibility, it does not look like this was the plan or is in the works. The asphalt is purpose-laid to form to the existing grates and if anyone, even a retarded monkey, were to actually plan to re-surface the road in the first place, they would necessarily make sure the level of the grate was sufficiently high to meet the top of the soon-to-be-laid asphalt.

It's worth taking a look at these in person. You look at them and you are absolutely amazed. You wouldn't think it was possible to do this even if you were trying, but there it is. Total, absolute incompetence.

If that's the intersection down from Fisherman's Village, those grates are evidence of criminal negligence. I'd go to court over a mishap there.

I don't go that way very often but I did a couple of weeks ago on the big bike and was going around the people turning and suddenly I had to roll over one. It was frightening. There is nothing subtle about how dangerous those are at that intersection.

• Like 1

If that's the intersection down from Fisherman's Village, those grates are evidence of criminal negligence. I'd go to court over a mishap there.

I don't go that way very often but I did a couple of weeks ago on the big bike and was going around the people turning and suddenly I had to roll over one. It was frightening. There is nothing subtle about how dangerous those are at that intersection.

That's them.

I see going into Nanton, just before the one way system, they are putting in new drains..... I've not been much past Nanton for a while, to see how the Nanton to Lipa Noi sections are coming along...

Perhaps, they will fix the grates mentioned when Nanton completed?? Continual make work program.....whistling.gif

rolleyes.gif Where is Nanton?

oh no.... I had a Big C moment biggrin.png ......I think it's the heat!

Well it depends which sign you read.. Nanthon... Nan Thon, Ban Nanthon, .... I am sure there is one or two more spellings I have seen.... !!!!

Drive through Maenam , Ban Tai, Ban Por, and go up & down the hill,.... then a little ways you are there tongue.pngthumbsup.gif

Watch out for road works! biggrin.png

Well it depends which sign you read.. Nanthon... Nan Thon, Ban Nanthon, .... I am sure there is one or two more spellings I have seen.... !!!!

Drive through Maenam , Ban Tai, Ban Por, and go up & down the hill,.... then a little ways you are there tongue.pngthumbsup.gif

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png It's Nathon not Nanthonbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

oh noooo.......w00t.gif two" Big C moments".... in one day.... how am I going to live this one down......? biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

I have to go to Nathon again today, or is that Nanthon??? I am going to check the signs when I get there! ....whistling.gif

oh noooo.......w00t.gif two" Big C moments".... in one day.... how am I going to live this one down......? biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

I have to go to Nathon again today, or is that Nanthon??? I am going to check the signs when I get there! ....whistling.gif

Angthong.

• Like 1

What is even more astonishing is that these grates are right outside a police station yet the police don't seem to consider them a worthy topic of conversation with the local authority deaing with road maintenance. It just defies belief these grates can be left in the state they are in for so long.

Perhaps they think that putting their traffics cones down there permanently makes the road safe again? huh.png

Now quit confusing people here Rooo... smile.pngblink.pngbiggrin.png

I checked all the signs this morning non of them say Angthong..... in Nathon .....tongue.png

Angthong are generally referred to as those 38 (I believe) islands that make up the marine park...??? whistling.gif

Now let's get back on topic.... what is the topic anyway....? some thing about Tongs? laugh.pngwhistling.gif

Carmine is quite right... btw! thumbsup.gif

(had too many quote blocks here,so had to make new post.... )

Now quit confusing people here Rooo... smile.pngblink.pngbiggrin.png

I checked all the signs this morning non of them say Angthong..... in Nathon .....tongue.png

Angthong are generally referred to as those 38 (I believe) islands that make up the marine park...??? whistling.gif

Now let's get back on topic.... what is the topic anyway....? some thing about Tongs? laugh.pngwhistling.gif

Carmine is quite right... btw! thumbsup.gif

(had too many quote blocks here,so had to make new post.... )

Angtong is correct, but nobody says they live in Maret when they live in Lamai or Bophut when they live in Chaweng. wink.png

Check the soi signs, Angtong soi 1-10.

Edited by PoorSucker

16 posts and 10 totally off topic. Is this a record?

No just normal procedure, same as other threads driven off topicwhistling.gif .Perhaps we are trying to get the correct geographical positions. Just have patience now.

To get more into topic.

Where is the best place to buy grated cheese.

cheddar-cheese.jpeg

I am glad I had swallowed my coffee before reading this.... biggrin.png

Now we could seriously get off topic.... Tesco not had much of a selection of cheese for weeks now... grated or block type...tongue.pngsad.png Must be on the slow boat from Oz or Kiwi land? rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

But getting back to topic, for those of us who live here, one figures out the grated areas of the road to navigate around, (especially those near the Bohput traffic lights) for unsuspecting tourists, well it's a different story.... or perhaps for those who drive drunk....? sad.png

It is easy to complain, and most of us are quick to do so.

Let's put it in perspective though.

The current administration have made major inroads into improving the infrastructure. Much better drainage, more sealed roads and even tarmac in many places. (This is so that the motorbikes and mini buses can go MUCH faster!)

But - let us not forget the golden rule. If everything was built correctly the first time - where would the supporters of the current guys get their revenues from? Repairing roads and drains is big business - why else do they build the roads on sand! whistling.gif

maybe u should run for Mayor of Samui smile.png if you do can u give me a gin lisence

You don't need a licence for gin!!!!

He meant "gun" license..... surely....? ......he wants a gun for his sling.....whistling.gifbiggrin.png

Come on this is BIG C! speaking, although the problem of miss spelling is catching on! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Shame about the life threatening drainage grates but nice yellow lines at the Bophut traffic lights. thumbsup.gif

Now if we could get the darn tourists not to block the left hand lane .... while they wait for the lights to turn green, that would be a good thing! whistling.gif

• Like 1