Full Dental Implants

overherebc

Couldn't find it in search.

Anyone out there who has had the full dental implant done. The one where they fit the plugs into the jaw bone and then the whole thing is screwed on to the anchors, not one at a time at 1000 dollars each. Better things to spend my money on at my age.

Would like to know timing/costing and any experiences with problems etc.

Really don't fancy teeth like the stars, ie they come out at nite.

not sure what full dental implant is but a few friends of mine got dental implants done at Bangkok Smile Dental Clinic in Asoke. So far,they have been very happy with their implants though the success of the treatment needs longer time to confirm.

A good friend of mine had total teeth implants, top and bottom done just over a year ago, in USA. A first visit, they wanted 45,000 thousand US dollars for total implants. She said no thanks... Then, around 6 months later they called her and offered a "special" $30,000. She accepted. Totally satisfied. First they pulled all remaining teeth (around 12 I think) took a while to heal (3 months). The inserted 4 posts total, two on top and two on bottom. First they did a temporary upper/lower set, then a permanent a month later. A couple more visits for adjustments, and after one year, went back and had it permanently fixed. Don't ask me why it was permanent twice, I don't know. But overall, she's really happy with them.

If you decide to do here in Thailand, would be curious to know what the total charge was/would be.

Thanks for your answer, and by the way, thanks to sheryl for changing the main heading.

It gives me an idea of the costs involved overseas.

I can't imagine that the same procedure is not available in Thailand, and, should be less expensive, I hope.

I am going to look further into it in Thailand and if I can get more info on I will post.

Cheers.

These are the things I'm talking/thinking about

I had it done in 2008 exactly as pictured - lower jaw.

Guangdong Stomatological Hospital (GSH), Guangzhou, China. The VIP Clinic, on the top floor.

It costs RMB20 (B100) to become a 'member' of the VIP Clinic - well worth the cost because I never had to wait more than 15 minutes to see a dentist on each visit.

The dentists who treated me had good English skills.

GSH used ANKYLOS® plus implants.

Required me to wait 6 months before fitting 'load bearing' overdentures.

The hospital did, however, provide me with a set of temporary overdentures to wear during the waiting period. The temporary overdentures rested on my gums like normal dentures because the top, screw-in caps of the implants were not fitted until the end of the waiting period.

Cost me RMB12,000 (about B60,000), including the temporary overdentures.

The permanent overdentures cost extra.

You can choose from regular overdentures for RMB600 (B3,000), thinner, metal-reinforced overdentures for RMB1,000 (B5,000) or their top-of-the-range super-thin, super-strong, life-like looking overdentures for RMB2,000 (B10,000).

Thanks for your answer, and by the way, thanks to sheryl for changing the main heading.

It gives me an idea of the costs involved overseas.

I can't imagine that the same procedure is not available in Thailand, and, should be less expensive, I hope.

I am going to look further into it in Thailand and if I can get more info on I will post.

Cheers.

I am certain they can do full dental implants here in Thailand. Go to "Grace Dental Clinic" here in Chiang Mai, they have some pricing info there. Don't know about full implants, but individual implant costs are given. You can email them for more info. Or do some "google" stuff and you'll probably get some results.

Grace is quoting 75-80,000 baht for one implant.

Laowai

Are you referring to a full lower set?

Yes. Exactly like the pictures posted by oveherebc.

4 implants placed in my lower jaw - 2 on the left close together and 2 on the right close together. That part of the procedure cost RMB12,000 (B60,000). They also included in that cost, a set of temporary overdentures.

The temporary overdentures did the job for 6 months and nobody ever said anything to me about their appearance. However, to look at the temporary overdentures closely when out of my mouth, well they didn't look like a set of professionally made dentures.

However, the permanent overdentures I have look so life-like, I've had doctors express surprise that I have lower dentures when they look into my mouth during a health exam.

The permanent overdentures cost an extra RMB2,000 (B10,000).

Laowai

Are you referring to a full lower set?

Yes. Exactly like the pictures posted by oveherebc.

4 implants placed in my lower jaw - 2 on the left close together and 2 on the right close together. That part of the procedure cost RMB12,000 (B60,000). They also included in that cost, a set of temporary overdentures.

The temporary overdentures did the job for 6 months and nobody ever said anything to me about their appearance. However, to look at the temporary overdentures closely when out of my mouth, well they didn't look like a set of professionally made dentures.

However, the permanent overdentures I have look so life-like, I've had doctors express surprise that I have lower dentures when they look into my mouth during a health exam.

The permanent overdentures cost an extra RMB2,000 (B10,000).

Thankyou Laowai

That's remarkable , the price of a full set at your place is the same as one tooth at Grace.

It is pretty obvious huge margins are being made probably basing prices on a percentage of the totally outrageous USA (can never understand why Americans put up with it).

Sadly my teeth are pretty good.

At your Chinese prices I'd almost look for an excuse to go and get a perfect mouth!

You Certainly know that the bone has to be OK for implants? If one gets them done is bone degradation a worry? (suppose it's only the same bone that holds the natural teeth in.......)

You Certainly know that the bone has to be OK for implants?

I had gum disease. During my first visit to the hospital, they required me to have 2 x-rays to see if my jaw bone was suitable for implants. This was extra cost, by the way - RMB300 (B1,500).

If one gets them done is bone degradation a worry?

Borrowed from a website:-

How do dental implants prevent bone loss?

Bone needs stimulation to maintain its form and density. That is why the astronauts lose bone mass while they are in space - their bones lack the stimulation that results from our everyday resistance to gravity. The bone in your jaw is constantly reinforced by the force applied by your teeth.

The teeth transmit force to surrounding bone, so when you lose a tooth, the lack of stimulation results in bone loss or "resorption".

Dental implants are inserted into the jawbone in place of missing teeth. Then prosthetic restorations, like porcelains, bridge-work, or dentures are attached to a post or abutment placed inside the implant. So when you chew, the implant acts like the root of a tooth - it transmits force to the jaw and stimulates the bone.

It is as if implants "trick" the bone into thinking there is still a tooth present. By transmitting the natural forces of chewing to the jaw, implants increase bone density. Dental implants have been proven not only to stop bone loss, but in some cases actually to reverse bone loss and restore the health of the jaw.

You Certainly know that the bone has to be OK for implants?

I had gum disease. During my first visit to the hospital, they required me to have 2 x-rays to see if my jaw bone was suitable for implants. This was extra cost, by the way - RMB300 (B1,500).

If one gets them done is bone degradation a worry?

Borrowed from a website:-

How do dental implants prevent bone loss?

Bone needs stimulation to maintain its form and density. That is why the astronauts lose bone mass while they are in space - their bones lack the stimulation that results from our everyday resistance to gravity. The bone in your jaw is constantly reinforced by the force applied by your teeth.

The teeth transmit force to surrounding bone, so when you lose a tooth, the lack of stimulation results in bone loss or "resorption".

Dental implants are inserted into the jawbone in place of missing teeth. Then prosthetic restorations, like porcelains, bridge-work, or dentures are attached to a post or abutment placed inside the implant. So when you chew, the implant acts like the root of a tooth - it transmits force to the jaw and stimulates the bone.

It is as if implants "trick" the bone into thinking there is still a tooth present. By transmitting the natural forces of chewing to the jaw, implants increase bone density. Dental implants have been proven not only to stop bone loss, but in some cases actually to reverse bone loss and restore the health of the jaw.

Is it also true that Titanium is used because it forms a molecular bond with the bone ?

Is it also true that Titanium is used because it forms a molecular bond with the bone ?

I'm no expert but it was explained to me that the bone fuses with the titanium implants. It's not like a screw that's screwed into wood and always remains something in the wood, not the wood itself - the implants and the bone become one.

thx for the photos overherebc, now i know what you are opting for. That is like full dentures attached to dental implants. Dental implant here costs around 45000-55000 baht depending on types ( that is a fixed full price including titanium screw part and ceramic crown part). Full denture is like 20000-3000 baht / arch. You may need to pay more for extractions or x-ray or bone grafting if you need one, let's say 30000-40000 give or take.

I've actually had 3 'artificial' teeth replaced ... not the anchored dentures that overherebc refer to (apologies for coming in on your thread).

Found a really good dentist in Bangkok ... not the fancy one catering mainly to foreign customers, located on the main road ... but a Thai dentist who did his degree in Thailand and post graduate studies in the USA.

Got 2 done initially at the cost of approximately $1,200 - $1,400 each (about 3 years ago), X-Rays were included in that price. the price variation depends on the type of post you choose.

A little extra for some artificial bone which had to be inserted as I had an abscess under one of the teeth.

That took a little time to heal.

Then the posts go in and takes about 3 months for the gum to heal.

Really feels like a mechanic is working on you and the post is actually 'screwed' into place.

The fitting of the tooth is the simplest and easiest part of the procedure.

Three years later ... nary a problem with them ... biggrin.png

thx for the photos overherebc, now i know what you are opting for. That is like full dentures attached to dental implants. Dental implant here costs around 45000-55000 baht depending on types ( that is a fixed full price including titanium screw part and ceramic crown part). Full denture is like 20000-3000 baht / arch. You may need to pay more for extractions or x-ray or bone grafting if you need one, let's say 30000-40000 give or take.

Thanks,

I now have an idea to help me on costs when it happens.

Most of my problems stem from scottish kids eating habits, ie 3 penny caramels for lunch and the visiting school dentist (in the big bus in the playground) who got his money per filling, when you are 6 or 7 years old you don't have a choice and can't argue. Every kid got at least 3 per visit, needed or not.

The dentures are inevitable, just looking for the best, cheapest solution.

Where's the emoticon with the gappy smile ?

You Certainly know that the bone has to be OK for implants? If one gets them done is bone degradation a worry? (suppose it's only the same bone that holds the natural teeth in.......)

One of the best answers to OPs question.

For teeth implants the jawbones must have a special size. If they don't have the essential size they need an augmentation. That means: you need a surgery with bones taken from an other bone of your body (iliac crest).

Without a check-up of your jawbone bone structure you cannot get a correct quotation.

The reqired size of your jawbone structure means, the upper and the lower bones on the left or right side of your mouth must have a minimal dimesion, which I don't know but the dentist. If you have dental prostheses - such as a bridge - there is a high probability that your jawbone in this (quarter) area is already degenerated. Then you need the surgery for an implant, mentioned above.

These are the things I'm talking/thinking about

I had it done in 2008 exactly as pictured - lower jaw.

Guangdong Stomatological Hospital (GSH), Guangzhou, China. The VIP Clinic, on the top floor.

It costs RMB20 (B100) to become a 'member' of the VIP Clinic - well worth the cost because I never had to wait more than 15 minutes to see a dentist on each visit.

The dentists who treated me had good English skills.

GSH used ANKYLOS® plus implants.

Required me to wait 6 months before fitting 'load bearing' overdentures.

The hospital did, however, provide me with a set of temporary overdentures to wear during the waiting period. The temporary overdentures rested on my gums like normal dentures because the top, screw-in caps of the implants were not fitted until the end of the waiting period.

Cost me RMB12,000 (about B60,000), including the temporary overdentures.

The permanent overdentures cost extra.

You can choose from regular overdentures for RMB600 (B3,000), thinner, metal-reinforced overdentures for RMB1,000 (B5,000) or their top-of-the-range super-thin, super-strong, life-like looking overdentures for RMB2,000 (B10,000).

Just had a couple of quotes back from BKK places ( no names, no pack-drill) both over 200,000 baht.

Maybe a holiday to China is on the cards.

Just had a couple of quotes back from BKK places ( no names, no pack-drill) both over 200,000 baht.

Maybe a holiday to China is on the cards.

This China thing seems a bit "iffy" to me

A bit "too good to be true" perhaps

And no, i'm NOT doubting Laowai1960. I just worry what the long term has in store for him or anyone else thats gone this route.

It IS tempting though, having said that biggrin.png

Penkoprod

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best answers to OPs question.

For teeth implants the jawbones must have a special size. If they don't have the essential size they need an augmentation. That means: you need a surgery with bones taken from an other bone of your body (iliac crest).

Without a check-up of your jawbone bone structure you cannot get a correct quotation.

The reqired size of your jawbone structure means, the upper and the lower bones on the left or right side of your mouth must have a minimal dimesion, which I don't know but the dentist. If you have dental prostheses - such as a bridge - there is a high probability that your jawbone in this (quarter) area is already degenerated. Then you need the surgery for an implant, mentioned above.

Its 5mm thickness required and for a sinus lift (as the argumentation is called) they dont take bone from another part of your body, they implant Bovine bone (cow bone)

• 5 months later...