Nude Sunbathing

scubachild

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive heard different things but believe that it is illegal.

definitely in national park areas such as ko samet, nudity is illegal.

aside from this, it is highly disrespectful in thailand, but that wasnt the question so i wont get in to that side of it.

I have heard it said that nud_e sunbathing is illegal in Thailand - especially with regard to men. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I wonder if it is also true for toppless women?

Thanks

Scubachild

There is another post about topless sunbathing that will give you some idea.

I have heard it said that nud_e sunbathing is illegal in Thailand - especially with regard to men. Can anyone confirm if this is true? I wonder if it is also true for toppless women?

Thanks

Scubachild

There is another post about topless sunbathing that will give you some idea.

Public nudity is frowned upon in Thailand, but in some places where there are a lot of tourists, topless sunbaking is turned a blind eye to.

As far as i'm aware, it is totally illegal, as is topless bathing! I agree with this! I live in Phuket which is a mixture of Islam and Bhuddist religions. Both religions frown on nudity. It amazes me how 'thick' tourists are when they peel off bikinis, with no consideration for local sensitivities.

It is unbelievably ignorant. It's incredible that someone can be wealthy enough to get themselves over to South East Asia while remaining without the slightest clue about the local culture. I suppose not having a tanline on your shoulders is worth trampling all over the local sensibilities and both the religions of Islam and Buddhism.

Not to mention UGLYYY....! Vast majority of the flesh on display in Phuket would be best covered up on aesthetic grounds alone.

In addition to disrespecting the Thais, these eyesores ruin an otherwise beautiful landscape. One tries to ignore them, of course, but it's pretty hard not to marvel at some of near-Hippopotamuses parading about in the altogether....

~

Alas, here we are in the 21st century - the age of rapid and popular international air travel that transports everything from bird flu to cultural contamination/enlightenment.

To bare oneself in ANY country/community that has limited experience with 'outsiders' is reasonably considered thoughtless if local customs have not been checked out beforehand. But to judge all who simply go with what they are used to, in areas that have certainly seen their kind a million or so times, may be a bit unfair.

True, exposing the human body is not considered polite here by any means but if Thai people wish to have international tourists come and spend money, which will benefit those who seek this invasion, it is entirely reasonable that they will just have to put up with considerable cultural differences and perhaps even some embarrassments.

I have been to many of Thailand's islands/beaches that have been popular with western tourists for many, many years and found that the Thai people who benefit from and serve these travelers have learned to simply look the other way or put their training aside in the interest of cultural (monetary) exchange. Good on 'em!

Actually, longtime nudist that I am, I find that even I am occasionally offended. While on one of my latest trips to Phuket Island I witnessed an obviously European, and equally obviously obese woman, naked on the beach and found myself wishing that the 'decency police' would arrive ASAP!

It is all a matter of learning to 'go with the flow', just as we expats must do in this very different culture, yes?

Oh, and yes, I am very careful not to expose myself to others - not because I am a prude or necessarily sensitive to others who may peek in my windows - it is just that I ain't all that much to look at... :o

As far as i know there is no country in the world were nud_e sunbathing is allowed in public beaches. You can find specific places to do it if you like it. :o

And exposing all this tired flesh in public is very disrespectfull to others. Stay home and sunbath on your terrasse.

Excellent post !

I have been to many of Thailand's islands/beaches that have been popular with western tourists for many, many years and found that the Thai people who benefit from and serve these travelers have learned to simply look the other way ...

Although the young Thai men on Koh Samui always seemed, in times past, only too grateful not to look the other way, indeed seemed almost enthusiastic for the opportunity to line up to view the naked farang tits on-display at their local beaches ! :D

This was doubtless the exception that proves the rule. :o

nud_e Sunbathing, is it illegal?

This was the question from the OP.

I respect everyones' view BUT why don't we respect the Law, the Religions and Culture of Thailand?

We expect foreigners, coming to OUR countries, to respect the same.

Almost everybody, coming to Thailand, knows about the dressing rules when they visit the Temples/Wats and there are signs (also in English) outside many important Temples, explaining these respectful dressing codes.

Maybe they should place those signs along the beaches as well.

LaoPo

As far as i'm aware, it is totally illegal, as is topless bathing! I agree with this! I live in Phuket which is a mixture of Islam and Bhuddist religions. Both religions frown on nudity. It amazes me how 'thick' tourists are when they peel off bikinis, with no consideration for local sensitivities.

Fortunately for these allegedly thick tourists, the places they tend to doff their tops, the tourist beach ghettos, are where there are few locals left to be offended. You would be hard pressed to find a Thai working close to a beach on Phuket or Samui who takes offense. And at the more Thai oriented beaches like Hua Hin, I don't ever recall seeing European titties on display.

it should be totaly illegal, to avoid skin cancer; :D

but as you know, that many thai kids are jumping naked into the chaopraya,

there is a certain consens. :o

:D I agree but did you see any 18+ yr beautyful Thai girls do that as well :D

LaoPo

True, exposing the human body is not considered polite here by any means but if Thai people wish to have international tourists come and spend money, which will benefit those who seek this invasion, it is entirely reasonable that they will just have to put up with considerable cultural differences and perhaps even some embarrassments.

I have been to many of Thailand's islands/beaches that have been popular with western tourists for many, many years and found that the Thai people who benefit from and serve these travelers have learned to simply look the other way or put their training aside in the interest of cultural (monetary) exchange. Good on 'em!

Well I think is a matter of respect to other people culture...

I think tourist should understand that there are certain things in some cultures that is an offence to the locals...and even though they are leaving their money in thailand don´t give them the right to do whatever they want...

Does money give you the power to do what you want when you wanted? How will some european countries feel if thai people take their shoes off whe entering a supermarket?

Why is everything to be done in our way? why cannot we learn and respect other culture customs?

I am sure sometimes i have upset thai or muslim people by my lack of knowledge to their culture but If i was aware of somethig i tried not to do it. I try to respect other cultures to show my respect to the locals and to be respected by them...

I actually don´t like this kind of attitude in tourist...

IMHO thai people are very reasonable when understanding tourist way of doing things but i think the line should be drawn at some point....

Edited by Glauka

I agree with Glauka. In this case it's not about personal preferences, it's about respect! If you are somewhere like Maspalomas in Gran Canaria where everyone's nud_e - fine, but until they have (and will they ever?) Nudist beaches, keep your kit on.

In Sydney, Australia, we have a number of small, dedicated nudist beaches. When they first became available they were crowded with sunbathers, so much so that there was very little space to lie full stretch on the sand.

It was a very friendly and happy atmosphere. People had nothing to hide. :D

These beaches now attract the dregs of life. Homosexual activity together with the self-abusers lurking in the bushes fulfilling their urges, in full view of bathers and family groups. :o

When attractive people shed their clothes, they leave nothing to the imagination and expose all their scars, cellulite, body hair and poor body shape. Not a pretty sight.

Thailand is much better off baning nud_e bathing and beach goers are much better off allowing their respective imaginations to go berserk. :D

In the last few days, after following another thread in which Forum posters are calling for the death sentence for Thai rapists, we now have before us the issue of nud_e sunbathing to remark upon.

All the comments regarding the inappropriateness of such behavior (nud_e sunbathing in Thailand) has me, for the first time in memory, agreeing with the majority of the posters.

I would never condone rape and I am opposed to violence in general. Thus said, is it hard to fathom that there could be a possible direct link between the way westerners behave and the recent criminal incidents of violence against westerners in formerly peaceful Thailand? Are we perhaps reaping what we are cluelessly sowing?

Just a thought.

About a dozen years ago I visited Phuket Island and rented a motocy to go exploring. There was a beach that had a rather long footpath as its only access and the footpath reached the beach at one end only. The beach was naturally sort of split in half by some rocks and the near part of the beach was for wearing clothes and the farther, more secluded beach was for no clothes. There weren't many people there on either part of the beach. It was all sort of low key. At the time I wondered if this was legal or not and whether it was a regular thing or just something the few Thai men who were hanging around had invented with the hopes of seeing some nud_e bodies. Has anyone else run into this?....does it still exist?

If you know of this please do NOT give any indication of its location...don't spoil a good thing.

Edited by chownah

ive heard different things but believe that it is illegal.

definitely in national park areas such as ko samet, nudity is illegal.

aside from this, it is highly disrespectful in thailand, but that wasnt the question so i wont get in to that side of it.

I think the second part of your answer is ALSO important because it is an imortant part of the matter. I might advise, after posing such a question, to read first a little bit about the culture of the slected country you want to visit. This ables you to enjoy your stay even more.

Almost everybody that has replied has been so sexually blinded that they have not really understood the question or the implications. I doubt if the sight of tits or fannies or nudgers would upset the die hard locals rather than the sight of any bare flesh. In fact most of them would think that flashing ones tits on the beach less disrespectful than a quick flash of the souls of ones feet. IT'S THE SKIN THEY OBJECT TO, NOT THE VARIOUS PIECES ATTATCHED TO IT OR BORED INTO IT.

Well I think is a matter of respect to other people culture...

I think tourist should understand that there are certain things in some cultures that is an offence to the locals...and even though they are leaving their money in thailand don´t give them the right to do whatever they want...

Does money give you the power to do what you want when you wanted? How will some european countries feel if thai people take their shoes off whe entering a supermarket?

Why is everything to be done in our way? why cannot we learn and respect other culture customs?

I am sure sometimes i have upset thai or muslim people by my lack of knowledge to their culture but If i was aware of somethig i tried not to do it. I try to respect other cultures to show my respect to the locals and to be respected by them...

I actually don´t like this kind of attitude in tourist...

IMHO thai people are very reasonable when understanding tourist way of doing things but i think the line should be drawn at some point....

BRAVO! To the point, I cannot agree more!

You often hear Caucasian people moaning about the adaptation of tourists and/or immigrants to their country·s culture so do what you expect yourself from these groups of people when you are visiting another country

As far as i know there is no country in the world were nud_e sunbathing is allowed in public beaches. You can find specific places to do it if you like it. :o

And exposing all this tired flesh in public is very disrespectfull to others. Stay home and sunbath on your terrasse.

You are so wrong that it hurts.

And FYI, sunbathing people aren't there for your enjoyment. If you wanna spank the monkey while looking at ladies, do like the rest of us, surf the web.