Colonoscopy / Colon Exam

sk1max

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about CM but I recently has endoscopy and colonoscopy done at Bumrungrad in BKK . Nothing found so had a capsule endoscopy done the following day which spotted the problem - total cost was just under $3K, very professional and I can certainly recommend them. I'm booked in next week for follow up treatment [colonoscopy APC to zap the problem areas].

I had one done less than two years ago at Chiang Mai Ram.

Started at 6 am by drinking the emetic given to me two weeks earlier. At 10:30 drove to the hospital. Checked in at 11:00, prepped & taken to theatre at 1 pm. Awoke in recovery room, visited by surgeon & given the all clear & a photo-album. Home before 3 pm. Could not have been easier.

Just sent you a private message with details of administrator I negotiated a package price of 13k baht about 2 years ago at Lanna Hospital. Not sure if board rules permit me to post name and phone here, but anyone can contact me for info by private message.

& given the all clear & a photo-album. Could not have been easier.

Didnt expect to read that!! maybe a note from the surgeon to your wife saying that your head is in fact not up there.

Where's Ups,missing his input.... thought he was a GP or seems to have had almost everything going. If its medical he,s usually your man.

& given the all clear & a photo-album. Could not have been easier.

Didnt expect to read that!! maybe a note from the surgeon to your wife saying that your head is in fact not up there.

Where's Ups,missing his input.... thought he was a GP or seems to have had almost everything going. If its medical he,s usually your man.

That he is but I think he is a big fan of The Ram Hospital. They Seem to have many of the better doctors there. I think a search will bring up this topic from earlier threads.

I think he is a big fan of The Ram Hospital.

How did you come up with this (false) conclusion?

For the record, I am not a fan of any hospital!

I do research on a doctor who seems to be what I need and if possible I will go and see them at their clinic.

If not I will go to the hospital that they practice in.

I have had three inpatient operations in Chiang Mai........ none of them at Ram.

OP I had a colonoscopy done by Professor Kannika at Ralavej three years ago.

She is there only on Wednesday's, but I heard recently that someone who went to see her was referred on to another doctor for the investigation. I don't know the reason why. You can call Rajavej and ask to speak to Saskia or Natasha, who are English speaking liaison officers and they can advise you further. It's just another option.

Where's Ups,missing his input.... thought he was a GP or seems to have had almost everything going.

I 'get it', but need to clarify things for those that won't.

Wrong on both counts.

Edited by uptheos

Yeah well I've had the camera up the butt at Ram twice now as have a family history of colon cancer. Horrible experience re the pre-meds but the actually exam you are asleep. But last time he took off two thingies best removed so a good idea if think you are susceptable...mestatisis and all that death inducing ramification, this is one you can at least keep an eye on, so to speak.

I had this done in the states some 40 yr ago in the Dr office with no meds. On the table, up on my knees, I saw the nurse come in with a stainless steel tube, of a size that would make any horse proud. After a good greasing, the Dr said there would be some minor discomfort, and then I had tears come to my eyes. Last thing I remember. Good luck

I had this done in the states some 40 yr ago in the Dr office with no meds. On the table, up on my knees, I saw the nurse come in with a stainless steel tube, of a size that would make any horse proud. After a good greasing, the Dr said there would be some minor discomfort, and then I had tears come to my eyes. Last thing I remember. Good luck

I'm sure that was a sigmoidoscopy (which are always done in the Dr.'s office) and not a colonoscopy. On your knees? That is the first I have heard of that.

Don't know what Doc you went to but sigmoid scopes have been 'flexible' since perhaps the late 1950's - early 1960's. Although unpleasant, it is not at all a painful procedure and is done with the patient laying on the side. Maybe your Doc never upgraded his gear?

Some of you guys must be putting the shits up the OP (so to speak).

Provided that you opt for the numbing pre-med (not the same as being anaesthetised out of consciousness the colonoscopy procedure should be relatively painless - just a bit of mild discomfort when it goes round one or two bends. At least that was my experience on a couple of occasions in the UK

I do not recall what the name of the procedure was, but when he put that 14 to 18 " tube up my butt, I passed out. Call it what you will.

Are you 100% sure what he inserted ohmy.png as you were on your knees?

did your doctor used to be a vet?

• Like 2

Some of you guys must be putting the shits up the OP (so to speak).

Provided that you opt for the numbing pre-med (not the same as being anaesthetised out of consciousness the colonoscopy procedure should be relatively painless - just a bit of mild discomfort when it goes round one or two bends. At least that was my experience on a couple of occasions in the UK

Here you can opt to be put to sleep for a short while and will know absolutely nothing about the procedure.

I'm speaking for Rajavej and Ram, but I'm sure other's are same.

Seriously if I may; for those of us who are now feeling queezy....at what point in life, does the question/need arise to feel you need the endoscopy.

sorry....but is it when you have persistant piles; or continual stomach cramps or diarrhoea, or maybe time to address a family gene problem.

no need to be too specific but when do alarm bells ring?

Seriously, google is your friend. Butt, generally you should have a colonoscopy at age 50. The results and family history will determine how often after that.

Endoscopy is another procedure entirely.

now you tell me....i,m 50 in 4 weeks OMG

and sorry for my use of endoscopy; I am a building surveyor and have used an endoscope on many ocassions....not may I add on medical procedures, but for looking inside cavity walls and under floors and also sewage pipes...........same priciple eh??

I am not a fan of Ram, but it's probably the easiest to arrange here without a long wait, and to actually get done and over with in half a day.

Nursing staff were also very pleasant in their special GI (Gastro Intestinal) unit

I had recent combined colonoscopy/gastroscopy - Dr Jaruwat Yossombat. Not the most sympathetic bedside manner, nor does he radiate much care/compassion, but efficient nonethless.

As anybody will tell you, the most unpleasant part is the preparation, which involves eating no food after breakfast the day before, combined with taking a laxative to empty the colon = numerous urgent visits to the toilet thereafter. Once you are in the examination room you lie on your side, the anaesthetic goes in, and you wake up in the recovery room, hardly believing it's over and finished - just unfortunately the bill to pay. Count on about Baht 20,000 if you have the dual gastro/colonoscopy.

Edited by jko

I am not a fan of Ram, but it's probably the easiest to arrange here without a long wait, and to actually get done and over with in half a day.

Nursing staff were also very pleasant in their special GI (Gastro Intestinal) unit

I had recent combined colonoscopy/gastroscopy - Dr Jaruwat Yossombat. Not the most sympathetic bedside manner, nor does he radiate much care/compassion, but efficient nonethless.

As anybody will tell you, the most unpleasant part is the preparation, which involves eating no food after breakfast the day before, combined with taking a laxative to empty the colon = numerous urgent visits to the toilet thereafter. Once you are in the examination room you lie on your side, the anaesthetic goes in, and you wake up in the recovery room, hardly believing it's over and finished - just unfortunately the bill to pay. Count on about Baht 20,000 if you have the dual gastro/colonoscopy.

20,000 for dual gastro/colonoscopy with anaesthetic so you know nothing, isn't a bad price. Here's the prices for just a colonoscopy done privately in UK. Average between 50 - 100,000 Baht depending on region and if you want it done free on NHS, goodness knows how long you will have to wait.

UK prices for colonoscopy

UK price range £1005- £2195

http://www.privatehe...st/colonoscopy/

Edited by uptheos

Proffesor Kannika works at McCormick two days a week and at Rajavej for a couple of days also. I can highly recommend the sleep sedation, it's very effective - also, if you're having one end looked at you might just as well have the other end examined also.

Seriously if I may; for those of us who are now feeling queezy....at what point in life, does the question/need arise to feel you need the endoscopy.

sorry....but is it when you have persistant piles; or continual stomach cramps or diarrhoea, or maybe time to address a family gene problem.

To answer your questions:

At any time that you have unresolved gastrointestinal issues and this might include, bloating, diarrhoea, cramps, changes in the colour of your stool, unexplained wieght loss, rectal bleeding. It's not so much as alarm bells ringing, it's more about using the endocopy to rule out certain things and/or to confirm a diagnosis. It's also massively helpful to be able to take tissue samples during the procedure and to perform preventative maintenance such as the removal of small growths. I was initailly put off by the idea of having this done many years ago, I subsequently had it done and now don't quite understand why I didn't have it done much sooner because it's not painful and it has so many benefits.

• Like 1

To answer your questions:

At any time that you have unresolved gastrointestinal issues and this might include, bloating, diarrhoea, cramps, changes in the colour of your stool, unexplained wieght loss, rectal bleeding. It's not so much as alarm bells ringing, it's more about using the endocopy to rule out certain things and/or to confirm a diagnosis. It's also massively helpful to be able to take tissue samples during the procedure and to perform preventative maintenance such as the removal of small growths. I was initailly put off by the idea of having this done many years ago, I subsequently had it done and now don't quite understand why I didn't have it done much sooner because it's not painful and it has so many benefits.

It's also quite interesting to lay there and watch (on the video monitor), the camera make its way around the bends of your colon, see them snipping things here and there for biopsy, etc. Also the feeling of euphoria from the Demerol/Benadryl/Versed cocktail is something that should be experienced as well. biggrin.png

Seriously it's a good idea if you are 50+ to have this done every few years. Like chiangmai said, it will rule out any potential problems. I had a few of them years ago and was always back to work by mid-afternoon -- except one time when the Doc have me a bit too much Benadryl and I was too hung-over to return to work that day.

• Like 1