Used Mac Book Air Wanted For Daughter

zungmay

Used Mac Book Air Wanted for daughter

The school requires this specific one .

She only needs it for basic word processing and powerpoint. so can be older model.1-4 years old.

Please forward this to any of your friends who may be Apple fans and may have one laying around and want to sell it.

thank you for reading.

I would be wary of buying a used Macbook Air. You can get the low end model new for about $900 and a used one is going to have a battery that could very well be on its last legs. Like the poster above said, a regular macbook should do the job. I have a new macbook pro coming in next week and my older macbook does what you need but the battery is shot and I think the fan is going on it. I'll hold on to it as a second computer because I wouldn't be able to get much for it in an honest transaction.

Point being, if somebody is selling their computer, there's probably a reason.

I would be wary of buying a used Macbook Air. You can get the low end model new for about $900 and a used one is going to have a battery that could very well be on its last legs. Like the poster above said, a regular macbook should do the job. I have a new macbook pro coming in next week and my older macbook does what you need but the battery is shot and I think the fan is going on it. I'll hold on to it as a second computer because I wouldn't be able to get much for it in an honest transaction.

I sell my old mac almost every time I go back to the US on ebay and that's about every yr or two and buy a new one. The old one it still perfectly good but I want the newer one; so, there's a reason, but not a reason that's bad for the buyer :)

it's relatively affordable to change batteries: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/service/battery/ about 4,000 baht in the US and 5,000 in Europe. Here it may be a bit more but it doesn't mean the laptop is junk.

You should definitely check the battery and a lot else which you can do when you meet the seller.

I would recommend steering clear of Orange Mac which sells used Mac as they tried to rip me off by putting a 7 yr old used HD in mine when I went there for a new one, luckily the computer would not turn on which I discovered before paying

I sell my old mac almost every time I go back to the US on ebay and that's about every yr or two and buy a new one. The old one it still perfectly good but I want the newer one; so, there's a reason, but not a reason that's bad for the buyer smile.png

it's relatively affordable to change batteries: http://www.apple.com...battery/ about 4,000 baht in the US and 5,000 in Europe. Here it may be a bit more but it doesn't mean the laptop is junk.

You should definitely check the battery and a lot else which you can do when you meet the seller.

Yes, that is correct and I plan to continue using mine after the new one arrives. But if I sold it to somebody, say for a cheap $400 and they needed to run on battery, they'd have to spend $100+ extra for a new battery making it $500, only $400 less than a brand new one. I'm just suggesting that by the time you pay for a used computer, there is a fine line where your costs will start creeping towards the price of a new one. Mac basically says that their batteries are rated for one year. It sounds like his daughter is going to be using this in the classroom and I would expect they'll be using battery power a lot.

Edited by beb

First thank you for all your responses.

the school is in Phuket not CM. cant find a used one here .

I have never owned an apple (other than the Apple 2E in the 80's) and prefer not too.

But the main reason i posted is i don't have 31000 baht in my budget . I have 3 other laptops (IBM type) ready to go but can't use them.

thanks for reading.

I sell my old mac almost every time I go back to the US on ebay and that's about every yr or two and buy a new one. The old one it still perfectly good but I want the newer one; so, there's a reason, but not a reason that's bad for the buyer smile.png

it's relatively affordable to change batteries: http://www.apple.com...battery/ about 4,000 baht in the US and 5,000 in Europe. Here it may be a bit more but it doesn't mean the laptop is junk.

Yes, that is correct and I plan to continue using mine after the new one arrives. But if I sold it to somebody, say for a cheap $400 and they needed to run on battery, they'd have to spend $100+ extra for a new battery making it $500, only $400 less than a brand new one. I'm just suggesting that by the time you pay for a used computer, there is a fine line where your costs will start creeping towards the price of a new one. Mac basically says that their batteries are rated for one year. It sounds like his daughter is going to be using this in the classroom and I would expect they'll be using battery power a lot.

The school specifies Apple, really? Let me guess: Prem? Or Panyaden? wink.png

Anyway if it can be 4 years old then likely it doesn't need to be the Air model, but could be any Apple Macbook?

Panyaden does not require students to have computers, don't know of any N-P6 schools that require students to have a laptop.

The school specifies Apple, really? Let me guess: Prem? Or Panyaden? wink.png

Anyway if it can be 4 years old then likely it doesn't need to be the Air model, but could be any Apple Macbook?

How does Panyaden come into this?

My kids go there and there are no requirements to have their own PC / tablets.

It's only a primary school, computing is not high on their agenda.wink.png