Budget For Living In Hua Hin 3/4 Months P.A

lumply

This is hardly a new topic apart from maybe the 3/4 months p.a bit, but perhaps interesting enough to many people who are looking for an interim retirement solution.

In a couple of years I start drawing my UK state and private pensions and am planning on renting in Hua Hin to escape the UK winter. I have been a regular traveller to LOS over many years, mainly on business but recently on vacation which I know as a long time expat elsewhere means didley squat. But at least I do know that I like Thailand and detest the period Oct-Jan in the UK! How do these numbers stack up (Baht)for the first stint in Yr1?

A modern 1 Bedroom furnished rental at 15-18K pm walking distance to beach area

Pocket money at 50k pm, mostly food.

Contingency Credit Card funds say 300K at any one time, rtn air ticket UK already paid for

No booze, women, or fags to even bother budgeting for (boring I know but that does not exclude the bar scene which I do like now and again and which may become more regular as friends made). Motorcycle maybe but not Yr1. Occasional trips down/up country not budgeted for but probably paid out of contengency pot when I need a break.

Visa runs not budgeted. Maybe a non 'O' would be best(?), but runs would still be necessary would they not?

One thing for sure, I would not consider such an idea if I wasn't able to look forward to a reasonable lifestyle without having to worry about where my next meal was coming from! On that basis, do the above numbers look sensible? Back to the drawing board if they don't but at least I have plenty of planning time to tweak finances if necessary.

Sounds sensible. I would certainly rent a motorbike for 3K a month its worth it for the increased range it allows. If you aren't boozing or chasing girls you will be fine on your proposed budget. Try to line up your accommodation in advance because the good well-located, cheaper places go fast.

I spend 3 months a year in HH and for me a 60-day Double Entry visa works fine. It can be worked to give you 6 months. First entry is your arrival, after 58-59 days either exit Thailand OR go to the immig office and get a 30-day extension for 1900 baht.

Exit Thailand before this extension expires (you may want a little trip in any case) and re-enter on your second of the double entry. You now have up to 60 days more which can also be extended 30 days so 6 months is easily done. Most important thing is to plan your exit and/or extension dates carefully. Check the calendar and don't leave it to the last day because sometimes there are holidays we don't know about or its a weekend or for some Thai reason the immig office could be closed or there is a crowd and they can't handle everyone that day.

I think there are 90-day visas also but I haven't done that so can't comment.

Edited by johnnyk

Thanks all for your encouraging responses.

Jonnyk, good idea about the motorcycle. I have a UK m/c endorsement, can I use this for short stints in Thailand or can I transfer it to a local license fairly painlessly?

Thanks

Thanks all for your encouraging responses.

Jonnyk, good idea about the motorcycle. I have a UK m/c endorsement, can I use this for short stints in Thailand or can I transfer it to a local license fairly painlessly?

Thanks

lumply,

You don't need a Thai license for holiday stays. Get an International Driver License from your automobile assoc. About 10 quid, I think. Police know it and give you no stick. If you have just your UK license they might pretend not to understand it or claim there is something screwy so as to have you make a donation. Stay 125cc or under otherwise your insurance may demand extra cover.

I find 125cc quite peppy enough around town and even on the highway (you can cruise at 60km/h) where there are painted motorbike lanes on the far left.

You can get shift or automatic models. Just keep you eyes open at all times as Thai drivers do insane things and if there is any kind of shunt it WILL BE your fault even if the Thai driver is drunk and has no license or insurance.

Cheers,

John

I will be following this thread as I am in a similar situation, although my winters are not nearly as cold as yours.

You mentioned an "O-A". I just received my O-A (retirement) here in the US and there is no need for visa runs. There is only a 90 day reporting requirement, in which you go to the local immigration office and report where you are living - no need to go anywhere. I am told you can even do it by mail.

The one problem I see is the short time frame to rent an apartment. In my search (Internet) I find anything less than a six month lease can be a problem for some landlords. My budget is a bit more than yours (maybe 20,000 to 25,000 baht per month) but I want a pool and a basic kitchen. Others on the ground in Hua Hin maybe can give more specifics as to what you get for your monthly rent budget.

Good Luck.

I will be following this thread as I am in a similar situation, although my winters are not nearly as cold as yours.

You mentioned an "O-A". I just received my O-A (retirement) here in the US and there is no need for visa runs. There is only a 90 day reporting requirement, in which you go to the local immigration office and report where you are living - no need to go anywhere. I am told you can even do it by mail.

The one problem I see is the short time frame to rent an apartment. In my search (Internet) I find anything less than a six month lease can be a problem for some landlords. My budget is a bit more than yours (maybe 20,000 to 25,000 baht per month) but I want a pool and a basic kitchen. Others on the ground in Hua Hin maybe can give more specifics as to what you get for your monthly rent budget.

Good Luck.

Not too many deals on the net in my opinion but I and others rent houses with pools in that price range for terms longer than a month.

My advice would be to come to HH and look in person, rent a place for a week or so and make the rounds, talk to people and trawl the various forums. It's certainly doable.

North side of HH BoFai toward ChaAm is cheaper than south of the centre.

Edited by johnnyk

Doing a recce is good advice and should be regarded as a worthwhile investment. I followed this route in Saudi, Hong Kong and Dubai and as a result decided not to stay in HKG because of the shoe box accomodation and appaling pollution (despite just having started a good job). Currently taking johnnyk's advice and checking out north side HH.