Trips Outside Bangkok - The River Kwai

davejones

I've started to make regular trips outside Bangkok and thought I'd share these outings with other people who may also be interested in doing the same trip. Thursday of last week we went to Kanchanaburi to see the River Kwai Bridge and Hellfire Pass. We took the train there and back, although f may be better to take the bus there and back, as the train journey is particularly exciting. Another problem with taking the train is that it goes from Thonburi train station, which is a little difficult to get to. We ended up getting the BTS to Saphan Thaksin, the Chao Phraya Express Boat (orange flag) to Wang Lang (pier 10) and then a taxi from there. Total cost was 120 baht. The 30 minute river journey was nice that time of morning though. We caught the 7.45am train.

Train was 100 baht for me and free for my Thai gf. Thais have free travel on 3rd class trains until the end of September.

The highlight of the trip for me was the train ride over the Wampo Viaduct...

This video was taken on the train back from Nam Tok, as that gives the best view of the viaduct. The train was pretty packed with tourists though, as you can see. The cost from Nam Tok to River Kwai Bridge Station was 100 baht, although you can sit in the last carriage for 300 baht for the best view.

When we arrived in Kanchanaburi on Thursday we watched the train travel across the River Kwai Bridge, walked across the bridge and had lunch, dinner and a massage in the town.

On the Friday we took the early morning train ti Nam Tok and had a whole carriage to ourselves for about the first hour. The scenery on that train journey is particularly good - mountains, river and lots of greenery. When we arrived at Nam Tok we took a taxi to Hellfire Pass. Cost was 800 baht there and back, and the driver waited for us. We were the only people who were going, but we could have shared the cost if there were other people. The diver dropped us off at Sai Yok Noi Waterfall on the way back.

On the Saturday we got the morning train back to Bangkok. The train was one hour late leaving and 2.5 hours later arriving at Thonburi station.

If I was going to do this journey again I'd probably drive there and back, take a tour bus to Nam Tok and then get the train back to River Kwai Bridge. I felt like we took too many train journeys. The journeys to and from Bangkok were not so good. If you love trains then maybe you would enjoy the journey.

On the way the train stopped at Nakhon Pathom and there was a group of 10-12 children waiting for the trains. They performed a 5 minute song and dance for the passengers. Some other people were also handing out leaflets about the benefits of washing your hands often. Only in Thailand. It made the journey a little more interesting.

We stayed at Sabai@Kan Resort, which we both loved. Our room opened onto the beautiful garden and we ate lunch at the table outside our room. Service was great and staff were very helpful indeed. Resort is situated halfway between River Kwai Bridge and main part of town where the restaurants and bars are, so it was ideal.

If anyone has been on similar trips then let me know, as I'd like to visit more interesting places.

Chiang Mai will probably be next. Also want to go to the Cobra Festival in Ban Khok Sa-Nga, Does anyone know when it takes place? Has anyone been? Any travel tips to get there?

Edited by davejones
  • Like 2

Thanks, I've been to Kanchanaburi a couple of times and agree it's a good trip. I'm going to Hua Hin next week. Have you been? Any suggestions?

thanks,

Seeker

I haven't been to Hua Hin, but it's on my list of places to visit. Let us know what it's like and any tips on what to do, what not not to do, etc.

My boyfriend and I normally hang out around bangkok for about 6 weeks while we are waiting for his European visa every year.. But this year we decided we may as well get out the city and see a few places not so far away.. Besides - accommodation is normally cheaper, and we are both real country bumpkins!

We also started out going to Kanchanaburi and loved it, in fact we returned there a few times to our lovely floating Bungalow. Did you also go to Erawan waterfall?? If not you must certainly add it to your list for your next visit!

Some others of my favorite trips were to Khao Yai National Park - Absolutely beautiful place, so natural. You can camp there for the night too pretty safely, or rent a bungalow.. Although it's not too cheap, it's really worth it. We stopped in Ayutheya for 2 nights before going to Khao Yai - it's a nice enough place to look around in my option but you don't need longer than a couple of days.

Also I really liked Su Pan Buri (forgive my spelling) - it has some fantastic old buildings and markets, and the locals are so nice.

That's a couple off the top of my head to get you started! We're going to a few more places near Bangkok when we get back to Thailand in September, so if we find anywhere else fabulous I will surely let you know! And I look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Been to Ban Khok Sa-Nga, abotu 30 mins north of Kohn Kaen by car. Not sure about the festival but they have cobra shows there year round. There's a picture of me somewhere protecting my essentials with a whacking great snake over my shoulders!

Fun if you're passing but I wouldn't make the trip up to KK from Bangkok just for that.

• Like 1

Been to Ban Khok Sa-Nga, abotu 30 mins north of Kohn Kaen by car. Not sure about the festival but they have cobra shows there year round. There's a picture of me somewhere protecting my essentials with a whacking great snake over my shoulders!

Fun if you're passing but I wouldn't make the trip up to KK from Bangkok just for that.

I'll try to schedule it in with somethings else nearby.