Do You Think Thailand Could Host The Olympics?

theblether

I think most of us would agree that the London Olympics have gone well.........could you ever see a day that Thailand could host the Olympics?

It's not as off the wall as you think........it's not been that long since Brazil was regarded as a basket case, and equally South Africa was a strange choice for the World Cup and it went well.

It may even result in a medal rush for Thailand, and it could see them topple the once mighty Australia in the medal table, ( a nation now reduced to winning medals in sitting down sports, oh the schadenfreude).

So what do you think?.........could Thailand host the Olympics?

Ps.........Tiny wee Scotland won more Golds than Australia.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a joke? The country needs to develop more. I'm sure the will is there and it would be a great event but fact is the infrastructure, the facilities, the safety aspect is lacking.

Is the country any less safe than South Africa?.......I think not.

It would take a lot of work but it would be a fine aspiration.

• Like 1

Is this a joke? The country needs to develop more. I'm sure the will is there and it would be a great event but fact is the infrastructure, the facilities, the safety aspect is lacking.

Is the country any less safe than South Africa?.......I think not.

It would take a lot of work but it would be a fine aspiration.

If they got rid of the scams and rip of tourist traps then yes maybe. If they were allowed to host one without any pressure to ditch their negative side then it would be akin to the rest of the world looking the other way,

Maybe something small scale like athletics or swimming championships.

With the Thai way of making money I would think that hosting the olympics there would be great for them

Patts would be buzzing with the influx of tourists and boy would the cost of hotels , taxi's etc go through the roof

This could really bring the attention of the world on Thailand

what would Thailand win most medals in??

Off the top off my head we won 8 golds.......not bad.

I take your point wellred......on the one hand if we allowed the negative aspects of Thailand to dominate then yes it would be easy to undermine any notion of a major event taking place here. However on the other hand I reckon Thailand at it's best could put out a glorious welcome to the World.

There are too many people trapped in a ghetto of negativity...........I could take you through dozens of tourist zones that attract scammers and sharp operators. You would think the way some of you are going on it's a Thai phenomena.........it's far from it.

Dp25 is just about spot on with his post..........Thailand could do it, however it may be a wasted legacy.

• Like 1

Blether is at the wind ups. There is very little interest in sport in Thailand, although gambling does seem to flourish during the EPL season. However, I would maybe bet on some populist Thai politician drumming up support, something like the Pattaya Mayor's monorailscheme, and more recently the Chiang Mai-BKK railway. Enthusiasm seems to evaporate quickly here once the practicalities are looked at. Mind you, fantastic opportunities for the old 30% off the top.

Nah, Thailand is way too insular to host something like the Olympics.

I reckon Singapore could do it though - perhaps the only ASEAN country that could, and should, have a crack at it.

I've watched a lot of the Olympics and I agree with the OP, its been a tremendous success, on every level.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Thailand host the Olympic games and think the venues could be put together successfully.

However things to consider. Bangkok? Total infrastructure nightmare and can you imagine trying to get around?

Chiang Mai would be my choice.

But then July/August is right in the rainy season. Could be a major drawback on proceedings.

And then Thailand will need to invest in a proper coaching regime if the want to win more than a couple of medals at boxing and weightlifting.

Athletes need support and development to compete at world level not a one off payment after they have done all the hard work themselves.

Hopefully in my lifetime.

I think Thailand should invest its energies in winning more medals - Petitioning the IOC to add 'Fleeing the Scene of an Accident" to the events list would undoubtedly help.

Now there's an idea. Maybe they should be scouring the ranks of bus and lorry drivers for members of the sprint relay teams.

I've lost count of the times that I've read the phrase 'couldn't organise a pi$$ up in a brewery' on this board - and peeps are considering the possibility of staging the Olympics? Just consider how long it took to build an airport that is turning into a disaster zone. Get real folks. BKK will be underwater before they decide who will be on the organising committee - and who gets what of the skim off.

• Like 1

There are too many people trapped in a ghetto of negativity...........I could take you through dozens of tourist zones that attract scammers and sharp operators. You would think the way some of you are going on it's a Thai phenomena.........it's far from it.

Dp25 is just about spot on with his post..........Thailand could do it, however it may be a wasted legacy.

After having traveled far and wide, I can say with some assurance that Thais have it down to a fine art. Negative or not.

Yes, the scams are easily detected and avoided, once you know of them. How many Olympic tourists do you think fit that description?