Are Computer Parts Cheap Here?

SammieT

You can price up a system to your own specs from places like Austin Computers - you will have to Google them.

I recently sold a computer business in OZ and at that time there was not much in it. We found drives were good value in Thailand but you need to factor in warrnty issues and freight. In the end I think you are better off getting it in OZ.

For desktops , and especially gaming desktops , definately OZ .

I want to buy a desktop here my my gf's kids and all the desktops off the shelf are about 7 years behind what is available in OZ . Laptops etc are a different story though.

Build anything here, watch for the fakes...

Care to explain..? or posting nonsense

If you buy anything here it will have a fake/copy set up built in, EG window's 7 all of the three comp's: that I have got here had it, you then have to buy genuine window's 7 or what ever that cost's another 4thou + bt depending on what one you want., That's in Big C, Tesco's, Makro's, or comp: shop's. Is that fake enough. Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

If you buy anything here it will have a fake/copy set up built in, EG window's 7 all of the three comp's: that I have got here had it, you then have to buy genuine window's 7 or what ever that cost's another 4thou + bt depending on what one you want., That's in Big C, Tesco's, Makro's, or comp: shop's. Is that fake enough.

The OP is shopping for computer parts, not OS or softwares.

Cheaper in OZ by a fair bit on most components and the strong Australian dollars will help this even more. I say 20 -30% cheaper but that just my experience buying stuff here and in Melbourne. AU sites to check are www.msy.com.au and www.centrecom.com.au

If you buy anything here it will have a fake/copy set up built in, EG window's 7 all of the three comp's: that I have got here had it, you then have to buy genuine window's 7 or what ever that cost's another 4thou + bt depending on what one you want., That's in Big C, Tesco's, Makro's, or comp: shop's. Is that fake enough.

The OP is shopping for computer parts, not OS or softwares.

Well in that case - no difference... I bought a Western Digital drive for my laptop a couple years back... Yeah ok... It broke... While attempting to verify the drive for warranty replacement WDC informed me the S/N was wrong and the drive fake. Numerous stories about Kingston devices being copied, etc... Fake enough for you?

hardisks are cheaper here, but is a quite difficult to find high range stuff.

I saw that BananaIT around Thialand (inside Lotus, Big C etc) have nice prices and high end stuff I bought:

a memory chips for my camera 16 gb 10x class 10 around 700 bath aprox

and a WD my book 3T usb 3.0 for 5900 bath aprox (no disccount at all!!)

in IT city sometimes you can get good promos too, I am very happy with my new

dell n5110 core i7 2670qm 2.2 ghz

8GB ram, 750 hhd, nvidia 525 around 30000 bath 34000 without the promo (cheaper than buy it in a dell thai office )

Bangkok have a mall i don't remember the name but is very popular and you can find the best part price there, but for hign end in Asia is better Hong Kong or Kuala Lumpur, I think Singapur too... the next visa run I will take a look in Singapur...

BTW where you buy in OZ the prices are flat or you know some place that are cheaper than the rest??

i was cheking and comparing the prices or bannana it since I can't find the western digital hhd only in centrecom

it's 6750 THB aprox 203 AUD, 5900 THB in banana IT

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/wdbacw0030hbk-aesn-western-digital-book-essential-usb30-usb20-p-49378.html?sort=2a

look this procesor core i7

CPU Intel Core i7 3770K bananait 10200 bath (i don't know if the price are vat included or not)

CORE i7 3770k intel reference TRAY: $332 USD = 10420 bath

Core i7 3770k centrecom 338 AUD = 11150 bath note: they say in the webpage that the procesor is Clock Speed: 3.4 GHz but real is 3.5 if you look at the intel page

Maybe have another shop similar to bananait in thailand I rememeber saw one in Lotus here in Krabi but I dont remember the name, I will go soon to check prices

I am a big consumer of it stuff :)

I have been building my own computers since 1988 (I bought my first PC that year) Since then I have lived in both Singapore and Thailand, and through my work been buying in the USA as well as UK. There are two real standards, are you biulding a hgh end rig or just a run of the mill computer. For standard middle range components Thailand isnt too expensive, but if you are looking at latest and greatest, then expect to pay a premium. For example, my last rebuild was an Asus rampage III extreme, 12 GB of OCZ ram, I7 processor, air cooled woth a megahalems cooler and custom fans, SSD boot drive, Enermax 1200 watt PSU, Coolermaster HAF case, with custom filters I built myself, LG DVD writer, Phillips blu ray. I emstimate I paid about 25000 baht more than if I had built it in the UK. Funnily enough most of that money went on the Enermax PSU, which are really awesome, I have three Computers using them and none have any PSU problems.. the oldest is 9 years. So I would suggest you spend time looking at Thai high end shops, try Busitek in panthip, and they shop just around the corner from that, also two shops on the next level down at the back that are high end.If you are just looking at a standard build, OZ will still be a bit cheaper, but you can haggle a lot over stuff here.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

As a reference to any Brits looking to build a computer:

Laptops are much, MUCH cheaper in Thailand. I have no idea why. Laptops in the UK are massively overpriced and a similar model in Thailand will easily fetch atleast £200 cheaper. For example: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/703_7006_70006_16_xx/xx-criteria.html vs http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/hewlett-packard-hp/ and this is on a western brand laptop. If you look for Lenovo, ASUS, Acer and MSI the price difference is even more staggering. Also note - ASUS and Sony laptops carry a 2y INTERNATIONAL warranty. Most other brands will do 1y international, 2y local though.

PC Components however seem to be neck-to-neck. The sites I used to research are http://uk.pcpartpicker.com for the UK side and http://www.busitek.com/page/pricelist.html for the Thai side.

Through component searching I have concluded that buying a CPU in Thailand can be cheaper by up to 1000THB (£20 difference) whilst power supplies and RAM carry similar savings percentage wise (10-20%). HDD's are a dead giveaway considering that we produce about 30% of the world's HDD market. The GPU market is heavily manufacturer-based although this is because some UK manufacturers of the same card board seem to think they can get away with pricing their cards £100 more than their competitors. The only significant gain the UK has over Thailand is in SSD's, although it should be noted that as of right now the exchange rate heavily favors buying things in Thailand.

I didn't look up data for Motherboards and Monitors because the selection is very diverse and they aren't exactly things you want to carry in your luggage over transcontinental distances.