Laptop Pc Problem

syd barrett

My notebook computer is six months old and O.K. all round until just overnight the battery power lasts just five minutes.

Running XP, checked mains adapter, power says 100% then goes to 5% in five minutes, before it lasted for 90 mins and logo on tool bar counted down, 100/99/98 % etc.

How can the battery suddenly give up? Is that normal? Have I done something wrong?

Please help. Are there any checks I can do? Surely the battery can't be caphut in 6 months most of the time I use mains power!

It is an Advent 2.4 MHZ 512 RAM

Thanks please.

S.B.

It sounds like the battery gave up thge ghost about 6 months early. hehe. I would contact customer support and ask for a new one. They are covered on most warrenties. if I may suggest taht you follow the directions concerning the batteries that came with the units. If it doesn't tell you then do this....

let the battery completely drain the first time, then charge fully. Most batteries still optain what is called in the industry as a "Charge Memory" even the newest types. This should at least start you out correctly.

Greg

Guest IT Manager

Griser is right though new batteries are supposed to not hve a memory of life expectancy. Li batteries particularly say they got over the problem. I suggest as Griser says.

O.K. I have done that (I think) here is what I do...

1.Turn Notebook on, everything boots up,

2. 5-6 minutes later, no warning alarm just off, instantly

3. Leave it? Is it still discharging?

Why would this change from 90 minutes use switch to 5 mins overnight?

Are there any tests I can do?

If I need a new battery, are they cheaper in Thailand? (than U.K.)

It's not a major problem because I use mains adapter, but I thought batteries sort of wear out slowly like mobile phone batteries, eg. 7, 6 day 5,4,3,2,1 then need a charge.

Could it be an internal problem rather than the (little used battery)?

Why does power say 100% then after blackout, with A.C. adapter suddenly say 5%?

Thanks computer boffins out there.....

S.B.

How is the electrical supply where you are running your laptop. My first laptop, a Dell did exactly the same thing as yours. The electric supply here is really bad with massive troughs and peaks. This of course is not good for any electrical device.

I was told by Dell that this is what had damaged my battery and that it had to be replaced. I now only run it through a UPS.

Depending on the manufacturer replacement batteries are available here but tend to be 20-30% more expensive than the US or Malaysia.

phuket Mike

As griser said contact the manufacture. Most laptop bats will be covered under the warranty. The are as expensive as ######.

The answer to the question can it be something else YES from solar flares to upset Tuk Tuk Drivers but most likely its the batt. There is a possibility its the charging system but that is really rear. In my old shop we had 2000 laptops and batts would just die fro no reason at anytime.

What brand and model is the laptop?

Randy