The Crackdown On Fun Takes A New Twist

davidm

The 7/11 on Sukhumvit 23 won't sell alcohol after midnight after being told not to do so by the authorities. I suppose the "thinking" behind this foolishness is that people buying after midnight are on their way to a house party so they can continue to drink after the bars have closed. I just hope it doesn't dawn on those authorities that we can stock up on booze earlier in the day and enjoy ourselves.

It never ceases to amaze that every one of the Convenience Stores attached to up-country Retail Station (Gas Station) is stocked to the gills with local and foreign alcohol, refrigerated Beer etc..

I'd hate to see them stop from a personal standpoint - I have a driver and enjoy occasionally stopping off on the way back from Rayong or wherever and buying a few tins of Singha for my own consumption en route - but this surely has to be a major factor in the number of road accidents in Thailand. I believe they closed these places over the Songkran long holidays but exactly how effective that was I do not know.