Picking Your Seat

Tywais

For those of you who are picky about where to sit in your long haul flights (I know I am), this site will show you how to plan ahead.

SeatGuru

Try to select your seats BEFORE you get to the airport. If you wait until you get to the airport you will get what's left after the Gold and Silver card holders picked over the choices. (One of the advantages Silver/Gold card holders have, the other is getting on the plane first and having almost all of the overhead bins still available!)

Exit row seats are okay for extra leg room - except for the seat that has an exit window behind it - that seat usually will not recline fully because it would block egress in an emergency.

I always choose aisle seats anyway, if you fly the same airlines often your seat choices become part of your profile. I try to avoid toilets, kitchen areas, and the last seat in any compartment because they may not fully recline if the wall behind is too close to the seatback. Also the very last rows on the plane always have people loitering for the toilet or to stretch out, often they lean on your seatback and wake you.

Having an empty seat next to you is like winning the lottery - you have a place to throw all your junk, even to move your empty tray over in case you want to hit the head.

ÅL