Passport Expiring In May

I'm and EU national heading to Phuket for a 2-3 week vacation in March. My passport is expiring in May. Can I enter Thailand despite this closing deadline?

I read somewhere that to enter Thailand you need a passport that doesn't expire for at least the following six months, is this correct?

Is there a contact number I can call to be 100% sure (being turned down at the immigration desk is not a risk I want to take)

Edited by gppower

I'm and EU national heading to Phuket for a 2-3 week vacation in March. My passport is expiring in May. Can I enter Thailand despite this closing deadline?

I read somewhere that to enter Thailand you need a passport that doesn't expire for at least the following six months, is this correct?

Is there a contact number I can call to be 100% sure (being turned down at the immigration desk is not a risk I want to take)

The number you want is the local number of the airline with which you plan to fly. Will they let you board?

Visa application forms usually state that the passport should be valid for at least six months. However this is not your concern: you plan to arrive in Thailand without a visa, which will give you permission to stay for a maximum of 30 days (inclusive of days of arrival and departure)

If you make it to the immigration desk at your destination airport in Thailand and at this time your passport is still valid for at least 30 days and you have a confirmed return flight you will have no problem with Thai immigration.

Your concern is whether the airline will let you board at the point of departure. Check with them!

-----------------

Maestro

The number you want is the local number of the airline with which you plan to fly. Will they let you board?

Visa application forms usually state that the passport should be valid for at least six months. However this is not your concern: you plan to arrive in Thailand without a visa, which will give you permission to stay for a maximum of 30 days (inclusive of days of arrival and departure)

If you make it to the immigration desk at your destination airport in Thailand and at this time your passport is still valid for at least 30 days and you have a confirmed return flight you will have no problem with Thai immigration.

Your concern is whether the airline will let you board at the point of departure. Check with them!

-----------------

Maestro

Uhmm, a lot clearer...I'll check with them... :D

He could always just get a new passport and be 100 per cent sure.

Yes, of course, but I have to travel far to get it and on week days, which is not easy now. I just want to know whether I can safely go without renewing it. :o:D

I was told I could not board a flight to BKK from Singapore, because I had less than six months left on my passport. I argued to no avail,until I showed them my Thai driving licence, to prove that I lived in Thailand. Then they let me fly.

He could always just get a new passport and be 100 per cent sure.

Exactly, as was explained to a mate of mine by the Thai Embassy in NZ. They said don't chance it, as an Immigration official has every right to make you go home when you arrive.

hi, i have a similar problem, i am a eu national, and my passport expires in august this year.

i live in phuket and go to ranong every 30 days.

now i can go one more time and enter thailand with a pasport valid for 6 month.

but after that?

i mean they cannot send me away if i am in burma and want to thailand.. or how is that?

i am planning to go back home in august to get a new passport, but for now i would like to stay in thailand.

hi, i have a similar problem, i am a eu national, and my passport expires in august this year.

but after that?

i mean they cannot send me away if i am in burma and want to thailand.. or how is that?

i am planning to go back home in august to get a new passport, but for now i would like to stay in thailand.

They could refuse you entry but would likely provide a few days to proceed to Bangkok and leave the country. Believe policy on those allowed 30 day entry on arrival is that as long as passport covers the 30 days you will be allowed entry (but it is recommended that your passport have 6 month validity) so you are not going to win any friends with a passport about to expire.

Yes, of course, but I have to travel far to get it and on week days, which is not easy now.
I don’t know what EU country you’re talking about but I would have thought that an application for a new passport can be done by mail.

In non-EU Switzerland, I apply at the local municipal office and a few days later receive the passport by mail from the passport office.

------------------

Maestro

In your situation, I would apply at my country’s embassy in Thailand for an extension of the validity of my passport or, if an extension is not permissible or the passport is already too full, for a new passport. What speaks against it in your case?

-----------

Maestro

Yes, of course, but I have to travel far to get it and on week days, which is not easy now.
I don’t know what EU country you’re talking about but I would have thought that an application for a new passport can be done by mail.

In non-EU Switzerland, I apply at the local municipal office and a few days later receive the passport by mail from the passport office.

------------------

Maestro

In your situation, I would apply at my country’s embassy in Thailand for an extension of the validity of my passport or, if an extension is not permissible or the passport is already too full, for a new passport. What speaks against it in your case?

-----------

Maestro

i want to go home anyway in august, and i simply don't want to leave thailand now. thats why.

so what do you think?

but after that?

you could just take a copy of your passport to your embassy and tell them that you lost yours and need to get a new one.

but after that?

you could just take a copy of your passport to your embassy and tell them that you lost yours and need to get a new one.

Find your nearest Thai Consulate, go there with copies of ticket w/ r/t confirmed, copies of reservations for hotel, etc.... and apply for a toursit visa.

You will get your question answered quickly.

It will also help avoid the embarrasement of finding your trip ends at the airport when they won't let you board the plane with that passport because of expiry. It happened to me last year trying to travel to Indonesia from BKK.

If you've a visa issued by local consulate, they will allow you to board the plane, because they know you'll be able to get in for certain.

You are not going to receive a visa without a passport valid for at least six months as that is a requirement from the MFA

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

But a 30 day entry without visa appears to be normally available if your passport covers the 30 days as per IATA visa rules for airlines.

i want to go home anyway in august, and i simply don't want to leave thailand now. thats why.

so what do you think?

I’m afraid I still can’t understand your problem. What advantage do you see in getting you new passport back home rather than from your embassy in Bangkok?

In post #4 of this thread another EU passport holder (country not mentioned) frets about having to travel far to get his new passport in his home country. In Thailand, I am sure you can get it by mail from your embassy. Give them a call to find out the procedure. (Copy your passport before mailing it off! Ask for you old, cancelled passport back!)

When you receive your new passport, stop by your local immigration office to get you last arrival stamp transferred to the new passport.

---------------

Maestro

Find your nearest Thai Consulate, go there with copies of ticket w/ r/t confirmed, copies of reservations for hotel, etc.... and apply for a toursit visa.
Right answer, but to the wrong question :o

---------------

Maestro

so what do you think?

I’m afraid I still can’t understand your problem. What advantage do you see in getting you new passport back home rather than from your embassy in Bangkok?

---------------

Maestro

I really cannot understand why the freak seems unable to grasp your point, Maestro. :D

Reading and comprehension difficulties perhaps? :o

I really cannot understand why the freak seems unable to grasp your point, Maestro. :o
He could be British and might be hesitant to deal with his embassy after reading, in this forum, all the horror stories about that embassy :D

--------------

Maestro

I really cannot understand why the freak seems unable to grasp your point, Maestro. :o
He could be British and might be hesitant to deal with his embassy after reading, in this forum, all the horror stories about that embassy :D

--------------

Maestro

If that is the case, he obviously did not read my posts in another thread on the subject explaining what a breeze it was, all effortlessly done by mail. :D

If he is a Brit and his attention span is sufficient to read and absorb this post (not holding my breath either way...), all he need do is click on British Embassy Bangkok: Passports, with or without the help of an adult of course... :D

I really cannot understand why the freak seems unable to grasp your point, Maestro. :D

--------------

Maestro

If that is the case, he obviously did not read my posts in another thread on the subject explaining what a breeze it was, all effortlessly done by mail. :D

If he is a Brit and his attention span is sufficient to read and absorb this post (not holding my breath either way...), all he need do is click on British Embassy Bangkok: Passports, with or without the help of an adult of course... :D

Amazing....Even I found that link easy to understand... :o

We have now 25 countries in the EU,don't know myself all theyr rules about travel documents,but believe me,the British law IS different as the Latvian or the Andorrean.

The Britsh contingent may be the most numerous(and vocal) in Thailand,but is NOT the only one! :o