Scottishly Football

Rangers pulled ahead of the pack with a 4-1 win over Montrose at home in Ibrox. It looks like it may develop into a two-horse race with their oldest rivals, Queen's Park. Will professionalism be the cutting edge for Rangers in securing promotion to the second division?

SC

whistling.gif

post-62606-0-37374500-1348445611_thumb.j

So you reckon they'll give Queen's Park a run for their money?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rangers pulled ahead of the pack with a 4-1 win over Montrose at home in Ibrox. It looks like it may develop into a two-horse race with their oldest rivals, Queen's Park. Will professionalism be the cutting edge for Rangers in securing promotion to the second division?

SC

whistling.gif

God i hope so! post-4641-1156694083.gif

SC

whistling.gif

Cup week next week - I bet you're counting down the days. Your boys are away to Forres Mechanics.

(Berwick) Rangers entertain Wick Academy and Queen's Park host Irvine Meadow at Hampden - it'll probably not be full...

Queen's Park have been going through a lean spell, lately, and haven't lifted the oldest national trophy in the world since 1893.

SC

whistling.gif

Cup week next week - I bet you're counting down the days. Your boys are away to Forres Mechanics.

(Berwick) Rangers entertain Wick Academy and Queen's Park host Irvine Meadow at Hampden - it'll probably not be full...

Queen's Park have been going through a lean spell, lately, and haven't lifted the oldest national trophy in the world since 1893.

SC

Well, last night we managed to make short work of the best the SPL has currently, not bad for a 3rd division team!!! LOL - love it!!

RANGERS booked a place in the Scottish League Cup quarter-final, after an impressive 2-0 victory at the expense of SPL leaders, Motherwell.

SC

Well, last night we managed to make short work of the best the SPL has currently, not bad for a 3rd division team!!! LOL - love it!!

RANGERS booked a place in the Scottish League Cup quarter-final, after an impressive 2-0 victory at the expense of SPL leaders, Motherwell.

I guess Motherwell are focussing on the League.

Do you reckon Rangers will be able to hang on to their place in the play-offs for promotion, with the distraction of the League Cup semis?

I see Queen's Park went out this round, as well...

SC

Forres Mechanics have been preparing for a visit by Glasgow Rangers - additional capacity has been added to bring the ground up to 2,700, though its not all seated.

"We are a semi-professional team and train two nights a week, so compared to Rangers we really are up against it and we trained an extra night this week because of the calibre of the opposition," said Rowley, former Mechanics Manager.

I had a look, and the game's not on Astro. Not live, anyway.

Elsewhere, in the furthest away fixture in mainland Scottish football (probably not quite true) Wick Academy travel to Berwick Rangers.

SC

Saturday 29th September 2012

WILLIAM HILL SCOTTISH CUP - THIRD ROUND

Berwick v Wick Academy

Buckie Thistle v Annan Athletic

Civil Service S v Turriff United

Clachnacuddin v Formartine Utd

Clyde v Nairn County

Cove Rangers v Golspie Sutherland

Dalbeattie Star v Stirling

Deveronvale v Peterhead

Elgin v St Cuthbert Wndrs

Forres Mechanics v Rangers

Fraserburgh v East Stirling

Inverurie Locos v Huntly

Montrose v Edinburgh City

Queens Park v Irvine Meadow

Selkirk v Vale Of Leithen

Stirling Univ v Bonnyrigg Rose

Edited by StreetCowboy

And at the end of the 90 minutes its

Cove Rangers 7 - 0 Golspie Sutherland

Glasgow Rangers 1 - 0 Forres Mechanics (at Forres)(Are you a mechanic? No, I'm a McLeod)

Berwick Rangers 1 - 0 Wick Academy

Three second-half goals within the space of six minutes see Queen's Park progress over Irvine Meadows and Edinburgh City progress 3-1 at Montrose...

Berwick Rangers' mediocre form continues, as a loss at Peterhead, as the English call it, sees them in the bottom half of the table. Pie'erheid, meanwhile climb past Glasgow Rangers into second place, and fitfirnofir,eh? Queen's Park remain top of the division, with a game in hand.

Stirling Albion haul themselves off the bottom of the table, and past their neighbours East Stirling, with their win over Glasgow Rangers.

Meanwhile, in the higher divisions of Socttishly fitba', Smokie will be delighted with Arbroath's 3-1 win over Brechin, keeping them in the hunt for promotion.

SC

Queen's Park, the cornerstone of Scottishly football, and the inventors of the passing game that has seen teams like Holland and Brazil achieve such success, slump to a draw against Annan, whose Athletic prowess saw them recover to draw the game in front of literally supporters. The wheezing groans of the home supporters echoed sparsely round Hampden Stadium while elsewhere Elgin leapfrogged big city rivals Pie'erheid and Glasgow with a 6-1 drubbing of Montrose.

Rumour has it that a team from the third division may be invited to a European Superleague, and I'm sure Glasgow is hoping that it will be Queen's Park, rather than the sheepshaggers of Elgin or Pie'erheid

SC

Queen's Park, the cornerstone of Scottishly football, and the inventors of the passing game that has seen teams like Holland and Brazil achieve such success, slump to a draw against Annan, whose Athletic prowess saw them recover to draw the game in front of literally supporters. The wheezing groans of the home supporters echoed sparsely round Hampden Stadium while elsewhere Elgin leapfrogged big city rivals Pie'erheid and Glasgow with a 6-1 drubbing of Montrose.

Rumour has it that a team from the third division may be invited to a European Superleague, and I'm sure Glasgow is hoping that it will be Queen's Park, rather than the sheepshaggers of Elgin or Pie'erheid

SC

Never mind that....its the semi final at the Queen of the South tomorrow. What do you reckon our chances of an appearance in the final SC?

SC

Never mind that....its the semi final at the Queen of the South tomorrow. What do you reckon our chances of an appearance in the final SC?

So long as your boys' health's not been affected by fashion...

SC

SC

SC

A short back and sides in the sides is what is needed , see all that feather cut et boufoneree that's what is holding the Scottish game back , just imagine the pish they hairdresseseres are twttering into the players ears .

SC

SC

A short back and sides in the sides is what is needed , see all that feather cut et boufoneree that's what is holding the Scottish game back , just imagine the pish they hairdresseseres are twttering into the players ears .

A fair point, and, as we may have discussed before, if one is going to squander a fortune on a ridiculous mullet, why not come to Thailand and get your toes trimmed as well?

Seems like there's no stopping Queen of the South; after despatching Rangers with penalties, the odd goal of three sees them wrestle clear of Arbroath to meet Partick Thistle.

But now our thoughts turn to the Glasgow Derby, as Queen's Park visit their neighbours Rangers at the Ibrox stadium.

SC

Seems like there's no stopping Queen of the South; after despatching Rangers with penalties, the odd goal of three sees them wrestle clear of Arbroath to meet Partick Thistle.

But now our thoughts turn to the Glasgow Derby, as Queen's Park visit their neighbours Rangers at the Ibrox stadium.

SC

Partick Thistle vs Queen of the South circa 1983 , was my earlest encounter with football violence as a lad . So , I ran like fuc_k away from my mate Tam Kelly, my skinhead pal , and plastic nazi chum , I ran, because as a cowerdley sun reader I kent I was getting my boz kicked if I hung around , mon the Jags I say . Up the billy wee he says

Well, congratulations are due to Rangers, 2-0 winners over their oldest rivals, Queen's Park, the team that invented passing football. The win takes them top of the division.

Elsewhere in the third division, Berwick clawed their way closer to the play-offs with a home win over Clyde.

SC

Some of you may be aware of rumours that a new European superleague will be formed, drawing its Scottish participant from the Third Division. Today, Queen's Park host Berwick Rangers, hoping that a home win will highlight their commitment to mix it with the best on the European stage. Glasgow Rangers, meanwhile, will travel tomorrow to meet Clyde, in exile in Cumbernauld these last eighteen years, hoping to pull away at the top of the table from Elgin, whom they lead on goal difference.

Everything to play for, then, in the search for glory. I'm not sure if any of those games will be on satellite in Thailand

SC

(sung) ...'cos the cheuchters are coming to town...'

Caledonian Thistle travel to Ibrox in a League Cup quarter-final against lowly Glasgow Rangers; despite topping the third division, they may struggle when they come up against opposition three divisions higher. However, Terry Butcher, Thistle's manager, and former Rangers captain, has been careful not to appear over-confident, bearing in mind the ignominy suffered by fellow premier divisioners Motherwell, who lost to Rangers in the previous round. However, it would be a brave man that would bet against Rangers recovering the cup currently held by the Administrators of the former club...

Elsewhere, Celtic beat St Johnstone and Aberdeen drew with St Mirren, while Dundee United also play Hearts in the windswept dunes of Tannadice.

SC

Third division Glasgow Rangers, bouyed by their recent win to overtale amateur leaders of the league Queen's Park (the only Scottish team to reach the FA Cup final, though that was before my time...) were brought firmly back down to earth by Inverness Caledonian Thistle when the Premier division outfit dumped them out of the Scottish Cup. This weekend, they come up against the cheuchters of Pei'erheid (in English, Peterhead).

Meanwhile, Berwick Rangers travel to second-in-the-league Elgin, while Queen's Park entertain second-bottom East Stirling (would've still been bottom, had they not beaten Glasgow a few weeks back...)

SC

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little surprised that this thread was so quiet in a week of such drama for Scottishly football.

In a week when Celtic cruelly restored the country's faith in miracles ahead of tomorrow's match at Murrayfield against the All Blacks, Hearts of Midlothian look set to follow Glasgow Rangers into the abyss of oblivion, thanks to some gentle prodding by the impoverished revenners.

Bonnyrigg Rose will be hoping to progress another step on the path to glory, Hampden and European glamour - when they host a replay of their match against Brechin City, the bright lights of Paisley and an away fourth round tie with St Mirren beckon. Other teams lingering on their third round ties include Queen's Park, today welcoming Stranraer to enjoy the Hampden experience, while Berwick welcome Stenhousemuir for their first overseas competitive fixture since goodness-knows when.

But it's league football this weekend, Glasgow Rangers hosting Pie'erheid, and Berwick away to the Cathedral City of Elgin. Queen's Park, busy on cup duty today, play East Stirling on Tuesday.

SC

Never heard of Annan. Where is it? When did they join the league best?

Surely Peterhead can't be in the same league as rangers????

I ve been away too long

Peterhead? Oh, how posh!

Yehuvbinawa' toolang.

Can you believe that not only are they in the same league as Pie'erheid, but they're top of that league in their first season.

I'm not actually sure how Newco has managed to secure the name or access to the assets of Rangers, as I thought they were now with the Administrator to dispose of for the benefit of the creditors

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I ve been away too long

Peterhead? Oh, how posh!

Yehuvbinawa' toolang.

Can you believe that not only are they in the same league as Pie'erheid, but they're top of that league in their first season.

I'm not actually sure how Newco has managed to secure the name or access to the assets of Rangers, as I thought they were now with the Administrator to dispose of for the benefit of the creditors

SC

Voice recognition on my smartphone - I aint posh.

I thought you were pulling my plonker until I checked the BBC. Bloody hell - I hope nobody has told my Grunnie.

I ve been away too long

Peterhead? Oh, how posh!

Yehuvbinawa' toolang.

SC

Voice recognition on my smartphone - I aint posh.

I thought you were pulling my plonker until I checked the BBC. Bloody hell - I hope nobody has told my Grunnie.

I an just see you using voice recognition on your smart phone to browse those specific pages of the BBC web site. What did it bring up for "Offerfoxache!"

SC