Thai Trek

soozi

I am applying for a job and this is on the application form, can anybody give me advise?

You're leading a group of 12 passengers on a 3 day trek in a remote hill tribe area in Thailand. One of the group falls and breaks their leg, and needs to be evacuated. The rest of the group need to continue on or they will miss their connecting train and flights home. You're out of mobile range and can't call your Ground Manager in Bangkok for help. What would you do? How would you meet all the group's needs?

Any ideas would greatly help me. Thanks in advance. :o

You must be applying for a job as a tour leader with xxxx company from Australia !!

If the group has a schedule to meet thenthey could all help carry the injured person out. Or if you have to evacuate ina different direction then you could accompany the injured person out while the guides take the group on the rest of the trek, then you meet up later at the end of the trek. Your duty of care is to take care of the injured person as his/her life is in danger.

IO was in a similar situation one time inthe middle of nowhere on a trek. One guy had bad chest pains and wanted toleave "now" so fortunately for me I was able to hire a bamboo raft and take him down river for 5 hours to a point where there was a village and then to hire a songthaew to go to the hospital another 2 hour drive away.

If yo udont know what to do....why are u applying for the job....this sort of thing does happen so I suggest you get prepared for it. The demands placed onyou are great at times and when inthe wilderness it canbe difficult. Decisions have to be made and oftenthere is not a right or wrong decision. You canonly work it out at the time with the group.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, you were right...I have already sent in the applicationbut with my own views and they were the same as you stated....e.g. if there was a river near by, etc. etc. ..help from the group....depending on circumstances, etc...etc..

Thanks again...and happy treking. :o

Guest IT Manager

Is it one of the companies that go and invade Akha villages, supporting the missionaries? Or is it something else?

Here is another question for your application Soozi.

You are taking a group of 10 Aussies daredevils (hikers in the jungkles of Thailand), and you come across a huge sign in the middle of the jungle saying "jesus saves".

Do you:

Ask the group if they are followers and have found jesus? If some have, stop and have a prayer meeting?

Tear the sign down, burn it and look for more and tear them down as well?

Hide and hope the erecters come back and deal with them properly?

Tell them TiT, so take no notice?

Tell your group about what is happening to the Hilltribes?

IT (Personal) :o

Questions like that are not so uncommon. Little strange for a application though. It's called a critical thinking test. The are looking for answers that might not seem so obvious. It more on how you deal with the situation and to see if you can think on your feet.