Thinking Of Buying A Scooter, Which One Is Good?

WebBangkok

I own a Click and a Yamaha NE. The Click is a perfect bike for tooling around a small beach town. It holds its value better than other bikes. I think it's the most popular bike. The dual braking is a nice feature and the upgraded engine this year make it a perfect choice. The Yamaha is what I drive all the time. It's bigger, faster and holds two people better than the Click and the GF is always on the back. It charges up hills with two people onboard. I'd buy a PCX 150 if I was in the market for a new bike but the Yamaha will probably last another 10 years. Bikes are cheap to work on. I had the handle grips replaced on the Click yesterday, 200 baht.

I get the oil changed on both bikes every couple of months. It costs 150 baht and extends the life of the bike. It's silly not to do it. Have the brakes adjusted. Tires checked for pressure. Every couple of years replace the coolant.

Edited by Pinot

I think, it depends on the driver's size too, which bike to choose.

Everybody, with more than 175-180 cm, will feel very uncomfortable on the Click/Mio/Fino/Scoopy/etc.

Even a PCX/Nouvo is so lala, if you have long legs. (Not enough space between knees and handlebar, imho)

I (~190cm) personally prefer the Wave, only foot pegs, not platform which puts my feet in an uncomfortable position.

I like my 2010 Wave-Automatic 110i, but it has a ridiculous small "underseat-storage", compared to the Fiore/Filano/Spacy.

But I would buy a new Wave 125i immediately, if they would sell them as Automatics....I don't like to change gears on a scooter.

Edited by Turkleton

There are a number of large bikes with the shock absorber mounted to one side, most notably in Thailand the Kawasaki Versys, Ninja, ER6N family. They work perfectly well there.

Yes I am aware of Mono style rear suspension & have owned a few full size bikes with a mono but,

what they have on say a click or airblade is not the same IMHO

Due to pivot point etc. May be great though but I have not owned one so cannot say.

Honda is a great company so I am pretty sure it is decent

single one sided shock

Central mono-shock like a ER6n

2011BlkVersysShrm2SSR.jpg

Edited by mania

Due to pivot point etc. May be great though but I have not owned one so cannot say.

I don't feel any difference between a decent single shock, or two shocks.

It may make (or even not), a difference at higher speeds. But at the average speeds, we reach here....

• Like 1

There are a number of large bikes with the shock absorber mounted to one side, most notably in Thailand the Kawasaki Versys, Ninja, ER6N family. They work perfectly well there.

Yes I am aware of Mono style rear suspension & have owned a few full size bikes with a mono but,

what they have on say a click or airblade is not the same IMHO

Honda is a great company so I am pretty sure it is decent

single one sided shock

Central mono-shock like a ER6n

2011BlkVersysShrm2SSR.jpg

Yeah, I don't think a side mounted shock would work too well on a big bike if the pivot point was near the rear axle but it works well close to the swing arm pivot. The scooters are probably too light and not powerful enough for their single sided setup to detract much if any from the handling.
  • Like 1

I think, it depends on the driver's size too, which bike to choose.

Everybody, with more than 175-180 cm, will feel very uncomfortable on the Click/Mio/Fino/Scoopy/etc.

Even a PCX/Nouvo is so lala, if you have long legs. (Not enough space between knees and handlebar, imho)

I (~190cm) personally prefer the Wave, only foot pegs, not platform which puts my feet in an uncomfortable position.

I like my 2010 Wave-Automatic 110i, but it has a ridiculous small "underseat-storage", compared to the Fiore/Filano/Spacy.

But I would buy a new Wave 125i immediately, if they would sell them as Automatics....I don't like to change gears on a scooter.

You could try a Vespa LX150 - it's huge compared to all the Thai scooters, even the PCX. Doesn't look all that different but the seat is a lot higher.

I like a Scoopy as well (I am 180cm). It's toy size, but not uncomfortable.

Edited by nikster

I've heard only good things about PCX.

But would also want to mention that there is practically NO maintenance

on scooters whatsoever, regardless how old they are.

Umm, with 1 freakin exception !! the tires !!

un-gawdly piss-poor quality or whatever the reason,

but the tires just keep getting flat from time to time,

and it is lethal if it happen on front tyre at any form of speed.

This does not happen on a big bike, the walls are so thick

you wouldn't know if you are empty air

I put Gloop in the tires. I`ve never seen it for sale here but I brought some back from England last time I was there (cheapest is found on Amazon). Tyres never lose pressure and it`ll seal small punctures.

Use hydrogen and the problem is solved

You could try a Vespa LX150

nah, too expensive for a scooter. Especially for the few kilometers/month, I would use it. The Wave is ok. wink.png

I like a Scoopy as well (I am 180cm). It's toy size, but not uncomfortable

My wife has had one, relatively comfortable, but build for "smurfs" and very little storage under the seat.

But always better than a Fino

We had a Click bah.gif , still have an Airblade and a PCX. The Airblade is far superior to the Click but the PCX is far Superior to the Airblade. If you can go for it, the PCX is the winner and you can fit 10 beers under the saddle. smile.png

We had a Click bah.gif , still have an Airblade and a PCX. The Airblade is far superior to the Click but the PCX is far Superior to the Airblade. If you can go for it, the PCX is the winner and you can fit 10 beers under the saddle. smile.png

The 2012 Click is a totally different m/c from the previous models.

It is substantially better than an Airblade in every way ....... I have a 2012 Click and an AirBlade, so I should know.

Just the 5.5 litre tank makes it so much better not to mention the strengthened frame and new 125i eSP motor that gives me 50Km per litre (compared to the 35Km per litre my AirBlade gives me). You can get far more under the seat of the 2012 Click than you can with an AirBlade.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

They are all very good, it is down to what you like the look off and your budget, twist and go is by far the easiest to drive and they are great bikes.

Just one piece of advice. I bought a new Honda Wave 7 years ago, great bike, but make sure you get branded name tyres on it, I didn't, and had about 12 punctures in the first 3 months, I then changed to Mitcheline, problem solved.

You mention you do not want a second hand bike but I recommend you consider a slightly used Honda PCX 125.

They are popping up in the sale ads for around 55,000Bt , maybe less.

You can buy brand new for less than that, and I mean Wave, Fino etc

You mention you do not want a second hand bike but I recommend you consider a slightly used Honda PCX 125.

They are popping up in the sale ads for around 55,000Bt , maybe less.

The 2012 Click is a totally different m/c from the previous models.

It is substantially better than an Airblade in every way ....... I have a 2012 Click and an AirBlade, so I should know.

Just the 5.5 litre tank makes it so much better not to mention the strengthened frame and new 125i eSP motor that gives me 50Km per litre (compared to the 35Km per litre my AirBlade gives me). You can get far more under the seat of the 2012 Click than you can with an AirBlade.

PCX ?

I think most westerners need a 125, our body size is just too much for a little 110 with a mono shock (and the scooter monoshocks are trash compared to a big bike, work great for thai bodies sizes though) I have owned and rode most of the available scooters here and have to say they are all the same no matter what brand in terms of reliability and longevity, honda and yamaha have better resale value def cause thats all thais know (personally I dont careabout resale I ride em then pass them on to familiy members), but our suzukis are just as good as our waves-fino and faster (125 cc) you wouldnt think there would be a difference in 15 cc's but there is and its big in performance. So you should def choose a 125 with dual shocks and minimum of 16" wheels (I dont like waves but 17" wheels are nice to ride on), and I must say even with the poorer fuel mileage and power loss from an auto being able to twist and go in traffic instead of gear hunting is so much more comfortable.

They are all very good, it is down to what you like the look off and your budget, twist and go is by far the easiest to drive and they are great bikes.

Just one piece of advice. I bought a new Honda Wave 7 years ago, great bike, but make sure you get branded name tyres on it, I didn't, and had about 12 punctures in the first 3 months, I then changed to Mitcheline, problem solved.

Where so you buy brand name tires for Clicks etc?

Where so you buy brand name tires for Clicks etc?

I didn't know you couldn't get branded name tyres for Clicks. What make of tyres do they have? I bought a customised Fino about 6 months ago, and have not had any punctures yet.